Menu

Melatonin to help sleep....???...

OK, My dh has been having a hard time for the past SEVERAL months sleeping through the night. He falls alseep fine (usually on the couch, or lying down with one of the kids). But, then he'll wake between 2-4am and not be able to go back to sleep.

I think I'm going to order him some Melatonin and see if that helps. I would love to hear from anyone who has tried taking melatonin and what your experience was. Also, is there any other supplements that might help?

Thanks

Melissa (my first post on the new boards!:o

I tried it with my oldest, at the time she was having trouble falling asleep, but once she was asleep she would stay asleep all night long. She basically could not switch her brain off at night. Melatonin did help her fall asleep. For the first time whe would actually start yawning and feeling sleepy a little bit before her bed time. The problem was she then would wake up in the middle of the night and be unable to fall back to sleep. So in our experience the fix was not worth the new problem, but I know others had good results.

My dd and I both have tried it in the past. It gave her horrible, vivid nightmares. It helped me fall asleep but I felt depressed all the time. I didn't realize it was the melatonin until I stopped taking it.

If he does use it have him spend extra time in the sunlight soaking up the serotonin. :)

I've been taking it for a few years with no side effects.

I had trouble falling asleep and it really helped with that. Occasionally I wake up early am and can't back to sleep - but I haven't been able to blame it on the melatonin.

You don't have to purchase Melatonin online - you can find it at any drug store and prob most grocery stores.

You can get melatonin in time-release form - it gives you more during the night so that you won't have the waking up in the middle of the night problem. From what I understand it works great for some people (my dh is one) and not well for others (I'm one of those!) You have to play around with dosages too. Sometimes the nightmares can be from getting too high a dose.

Ummm, Melissa... dearie... board fairy just wanted to say that when Mr. fairy wakes between 2-4am it's because he needs something else.... not sleep;) . Once we take care of things, he can sleep like a baby.

Btw- Melatonin not only causes nightmares but it has a tendency to decrease s*x drive:eek:. If you buy it for dh, you might want to let him know about this.

Sorry, this might not have been the answer you were looking for.

Peace,

Anna, board fairy!

Both children are on ritalin for ADD and ADHD. My niece, who has the ADD was not able to sleep until 11:00 at night or later because of the ritalin. My sister started her on the lowest dose of melatonin she could find and within 1/2 hour, she is asleep. It has been a lifesaver for her.

For my nephew, it doesn't do anything for him.

From other posts I have read, I think it may be important to start with a very low dose and use the least amount possible. I got the impression that using too much may be what causes the nightmares.

Lisa

Ditto on the dose issue. My kids have difficulty falling asleep, and I give them just a small crumb (maybe 1/20 or so) of a 3 mg pill. It's so small that it could be placebo effect for all I know, but it works for them. I take higher doses myself because some studies say it's good for cancer treatment.

Be sure to take it at bedtime, not in the middle of the night if you want to be functional at all the next day. Once I took a pill at 4 so I could sleep a couple more hours, and I didn't wake up till 10, and then was too groggy to drive after that.

My dd and I both have tried it in the past. It gave her horrible, vivid nightmares. It helped me fall asleep but I felt depressed all the time. I didn't realize it was the melatonin until I stopped taking it.

I had both nightmares and (increased) depression from melatonin as well.