Menu

For a child who likes the Ramona books, what next?

saw

DS8 has been listening to the complete Ramona collection (I think it's 5 books all together) almost every single night and during free time in the day for the last few months. I kid you not. He reads other books while he listens to them, or plays while listening. Right now he is building train tracks and listening. He has memorised chunks of the books and will recite along with the iPod. His siblings and I think it's time to try something new (before we all go crazy).

The older three never cared for Ramona or the other books that DS8 likes to read (Roald Dahl and then some more Roald Dahl and then mostly non-fiction). I'm at a bit of a loss to suggest a new audiobook since his taste in books is so different to what I'm used to guiding.

So, if your DCs like Ramona, or Roald Dahl, or Flat Stanley, what other author would you recommend? Maybe Robert McCloskey? I was thinking Carolyn Haywood but I cannot find any audiobooks, and I'd really like an audiobook to listen to instead of Ramona. Our nightly read-alouds have been Farmer Boy, Detectives in Togas, and, now, Little House on the Prairie. Those have all been big hits.

Thanks for any suggestions!

My kids loved the Clementine series, but they are good easier reads so you may want them to read them, not listen to them.

For audio books, we stuck with what the library selection. :-) McClosky is great, Richard Peck is fabulous, and Edith Nesbit is great.

• Like 1

Clementine series- The audiobooks are fabulous, the narrator is wonderful. 

Other Cleary books, Henry Huggins series. 

Fudge books by Judy Blume (Some of these have some issues that some parents want to avoid...one of them I think he learns that Santa isn't real and one he learns where babies come from. It doesn't give all the details but it opens the door for kids to ask. Those weren't big issues here but I've heard other parents complain about it). We really loved those audiobooks. 

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle audiobooks are fun 

Toys Go Out series 

Homer Price by Robert McCloskey

Soup books by Robert Newton Peck 

Encyclopedia Brown 

All of a Kind Family 

Penderwicks 

The Frog Princess series by E. D. Baker- all three of my kids loved those 

I've heard the How to Train Your Dragon audiobooks are really funny but haven't listened to them myself

Bunnicula by James Howe and the other books in the series 

• Like 2

The Year of Billy Miller 

How to Eat Fried Worms 

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Harriet the Spy

Frindle 

Freckle Juice 

The Cricket in Times Square 

The Phanton Tollbooth 

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIHM

Cadie Woodlawn