Menu

Look who came to visit (not a snake)

Dmmetler

He seems to be. Reptiles usually tolerate chlorine pretty well, compared to amphibians.  Poor little fella. I'm not sure if even the things designed to let frogs out of the pool would work for a turtle since they're so much more ungainly on land. Hoping he's the only hatchling that went in that direction and that the others headed for more natural water.

His chance of survival regardless is pretty low, but at least he's now in a place where he has a better chance of surviving than a pool filter!

• Like 1

LOVE!  When I was a kid I had a turtle like that.  I named him Touche Turtle and as an adult I always wondered why.  This thread made me look it up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch%C3%A9_Turtle_and_Dum_Dum

He also prompted my love for science...after he died we buried him in the yard, and I was compelled a month later to dig him up and investigate!

They used to be really common in the pet trade, but the Ninja Turtles craze led to restrictions on keeping turtles with a shell diameter below 4" in captivity. Small turtles are not only a salmonella risk, but apparently some kids even managed to put them in their mouths and choke on them, so they're considered a choking hazard as well. Which was something I thought only happened in "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing", where Fudge swallows Peter's pet turtle. So you now cannot keep baby turtles unless you're an educational or scientific institution, with appropriate documentation. Although occasionally you still see them sold, illegally.

• Like 1

They used to be really common in the pet trade, but the Ninja Turtles craze led to restrictions on keeping turtles with a shell diameter below 4" in captivity. Small turtles are not only a salmonella risk, but apparently some kids even managed to put them in their mouths and choke on them, so they're considered a choking hazard as well. Which was something I thought only happened in "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing", where Fudge swallows Peter's pet turtle. So you now cannot keep baby turtles unless you're an educational or scientific institution, with appropriate documentation. Although occasionally you still see them sold, illegally.

So, are only smaller turtles a risk for salmonella?

No, larger ones are as well. Salmonella is in their digestive system naturally (this is the case for other reptiles and amphibians), too-it's simply that larger turtles are usually not kept as indoor pets, especially by young children who are likely to be touching the animal and then putting fingers in their mouths. It also drastically increased the cost of pet turtles and tortoises because now someone who wants to legally sell them has to raise them for about a year to get to that size (and by that size they need about a 40 gallon enclosure each) and that's a lot more expensive than selling babies.

• Like 1