Menu

2nd Grade Language Arts

ajfries

We've been using (and have loved) Logic of English Foundations. We're finishing up level C & after looking at the samples, I just don't feel like we really need to do level D. I don't need as much hand holding (famous last words?) and I'd like something with fewer moving parts. To be honest, workbooks are looking really good right about now :D

But now I'm back at square one. I'm guessing we need writing and spelling (we'll keep reading to gain fluency and confidence). I have WWE, but it looks so boring :leaving:  (feel free to talk me into it) and we would need a spelling program, too.

What have you used/done at this stage?

I switched to CLE's language arts this year and love it. Thorough grammar and usage, spelling, and handwriting all in one, plus my son can do it mostly independently. I add copywork and dictation a la WWE from my son's reading. 

• Like 3

Have you tried WWE? I thought it was boring too but my ds loved it. He's an avid reader - he liked the stories, didn't mind the dictation and loved that the narrations were summaries of the stories and not something he had to "think of himself" :glare: But it was great for his writing AND his stamina. 

We also use CLE for grammar/ spelling. It's very thorough (we skip the writing sections.) I <3 CLE

Since you have WWE lying around you may want to give it a try. It might bore you less than it looks like it will - It's not flashy but it's easy to get done, the passages are generally fun and the repetition (which looks boring) is the secret to the formula. 

• Like 1

We also added copy work and dictation from the literature we were already reading, doing it pretty much as WWE lays it out but tailored to books we were already using.  

For spelling I have used and liked both Spelling Workout and Spelling by Sound and Structure (Rod & Staff).  They are simple workbooks and you don't even need the TMs.  IMO, unless a child has significant problems with spelling, workbooks that can be done semi-independently is the way to go for that subject.  My son only needs me for discussing the rule each week and giving him a test on Friday.  Some weeks we play extra spelling games or do something more hands-on with it, but not every week.  I have a blog post comparing these two programs here if you're interested.

• Like 1

We really enjoy CLE and use the entire LA program until 4th, when we sub out the spelling for Rod and Staff. In 2nd it is still pretty phonetically focused, which some don't like when they are new to CLE and aren't familiar with its sound markings. We use it from the beginning though. With that in mind, 3rd and up aren't as marking heavy.

• Like 1

We are going to use Lightning Lit, a little bit of WWE2, spelling workout and some vocabulary words flash cards from Barnes and noble. (This child loves new words and flash cards so she will be thrilled) We also may do Drawn Into the Heart of Reading here and there.

I was just about to post to ask for some ideas for 2nd grade LA. I used Bob Jones with all my other kids and I was thinking we might need something different with my last kiddo. Seems like CLE is pretty popular. Do you guys find it difficult to jump into it in second grade?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was just about to post to ask for some ideas for 2nd grade LA. I used Bob Jones with all my other kids and I was thinking we might need something different with my last kiddo. Seems like CLE is pretty popular. Do you guys find it difficult to jump into it in second grade?

My dd who is in 2nd grade did most of FLL2 (she did not retain much) and tested into 2nd grade LA. I heard the first light unit is review of 1st grade. She is in the 3rd light unit and loves it. She is retaining a lot and can do most of it independently.

No, I didn't find it any trouble at all to jump into second grade without having done any of the first grade. My son wasn't used to quite so much workbook work, so I had to gradually build up his stamina, but he was able to pick up all the concepts without any trouble. 

For 2nd grade Language Arts we're doing:

CLE Language 2 for grammar and phonics mostly;

decodable readers to reinforce CLE phonics (to practice "learning to read");

Zaner Bloser handwriting for penmanship (finish grade 1 and start grade 2);

Write Source 2 and Writeshop Primary B for composition;

AAS 2/3 and Explode the Code for spelling;

More First Favorites literature guides and Houghton Mifflin Reading Grade 2 for literature

We're also doing a Moving Beyond the Page unit "Culture" primarily for geography but it has a comparative literature component using different versions of Cinderella

Read alouds of quality children's literature

I tried the whole FLL and WWE path with DS starting when he was in 2nd and it was an epic fail. It also bored the heck out of me. I still have the materials and have been tempted to start them with DD but haven't. She's fine with narrations and summaries and gets lots of practice with responses to stories. The only thing I think may benefit her from those materials are the copy and dictation passages drawn from quality literature but those would be easy to add on their own.