Menu

I'm so forgetful!

Night Elf

I have lost the ability to remember things. If I need something, I have to set a reminder on my computer. And when I'm out and think of something? Forget it! Well, yeah, I do. :)  I've been trying to remember something for hours now. While I was driving today, I thought of something I needed to do. And I figured I'd remember because it was important. And then I got home and totally forgot there was something I needed to remember. Then I got back in the car and that's when I remembered there was something I needed to remember. My mom said this is part of the getting old process. I'm just disgusted with myself.

My memory is on my phone. I have DD13 text messages to me about stuff. She also maintains and updates my social calendar on my phone. Mostly so I remember to show up and pick her up when she's done at an event.

I actually back up my phone fairly frequently because it has some information I need on a regular basis (med dosages and Rx numbers).

But yeah - I'm old and my memory is shot, too.

• Like 1

We (as in, the family) maintain a shared Google calendar on which we post all of our commitments. The calendar automatically syncs with my phone so I can check it and adjust things even if I'm not in front of my computer.

My work schedule varies from week to week. So, I post all of my shifts on the calendar and set it so that I get reminders on my computer 45 minutes in advance of the start time (just a bit more than the usual drive time from home to the job). I have gotten in the habit of checking the calendar either the night before or first thing in the morning and also setting alarms on my phone, just in case I'm not home when the alert pops up on my computer. I use different ringtones for my regular morning wake-up and for each of my part-time jobs. It's the only way I feel reasonably secure that I won't forget to go to work.

I use the calendar to remind me of things I need/want to do, too. If I want to be sure to get tickets to a particular show for my son, I put the on-sale date on the calendar and set it to send me a reminder by e-mail a day or two in advance. 

I also keep memos on my phone for all kinds of things: If I'm driving and hear something on the radio that I want to look up later, I make myself a memo. If someone recommends a book I should read, I make myself a memo. 

If my husband or one of the kids asks me to take care of something, I usually suggest sending me an e-mail or text to help me remember. I then proceed as above as necessary, setting myself a reminder or making a memo in my phone. Otherwise, I just can't be trusted to remember anymore.

A few years ago I had to have bloodwork done and had to stop taking my daily fish oil (a blood thinner).  I couldn't remember my dh's phone number at work.  I didn't realize how much the fish oil helped with my memory until I couldn't take it for a few days.

Just an idea.

• Like 1