Menu

Ithaca/Finger Lakes Vacation

lisabees

SO has always wanted to do the Finger Lakes for vacation.  We are hikers. kayakers, outdoorsy types.  Last year, we went to Acadia and loved it.  We had a house on the water and kayaked every day.  We enjoyed the town; it was good for teenagers to enjoy on their own.

So that's what we're looking for - nature experiences with a great town to set 4-6 kids (mainly teens) off on their own when they would like to feel free.

We have settled on Ithaca as the town.  

SO and I will always prefer to be in a cabin on the lake.  

But - for those of you familiar with Ithaca (I've never been there) - would it be better to rent a house in town and then drive off to the other experiences?  Or do you think we would be better off renting a cabin on the water and driving into town altogether?  I am trying to consider the needs of 6 kids, rather than my own.

Need some advice, if any of you live there.  We live outside of Philly.

Rent a cabin on the water. In all honesty some of the other Fingerlakes may be cheaper. I live on Seneca.

The gorge is a must see. There are also numerous hiking trails, kayaking tours, wineries, etc.

The problem with Ithaca is that if you are on the water your teens will not be able to walk into town, just be aware of that. It is strangely laid out geographically and very wide spread.

For a change of pace I would also drive into Corning for an evening.

The Fingerlakes are amazing. We keep talking about moving, but never will. This is a beautiful area with a lot of outdoors stuff to do.

• Like 2

Rent a cabin on the water. In all honesty some of the other Fingerlakes may be cheaper. I live on Seneca.

The gorge is a must see. There are also numerous hiking trails, kayaking tours, wineries, etc.

The problem with Ithaca is that if you are on the water your teens will not be able to walk into town, just be aware of that. It is strangely laid out geographically and very wide spread.

For a change of pace I would also drive into Corning for an evening.

The Fingerlakes are amazing. We keep talking about moving, but never will. This is a beautiful area with a lot of outdoors stuff to do.

That is my fear - that being on the water in Ithaca will not give the kids the freedom that they would love.

Do you suggest another town/lake?

It's really beautiful there. I have zero advice as I've just been taken through many times by my in-laws.

However, I know you said you want an outdoorsy vacation, but if you can stand to go to the glass museum in Corning on the way there or back, I think you won't be sorry. It's pretty cool.

• Like 1

I spent more time in that area from childhood thru young adulthood. I've never liked the Ithaca vibe. Perhaps it was the time in my life?

Anyway...Seneca Lake is my favorite lake. I'd recommend getting a house on the lake and then go to towns and villages from there. Market St. in Corning has little shops and restaurants that teens might enjoy.

(When my dad was a teen, they'd swim across Seneca with some guys rowing boats for swimmers to ride back in for the return trip. People always told me, "Anyone could swim across. Your dad was the only one who would swim back.")

FYI...those lakes are cold, even in the dog days of August. 

http://www.gafferdistrict.com/

• Like 3

That is my fear - that being on the water in Ithaca will not give the kids the freedom that they would love.

Do you suggest another town/lake?

f

The Fingerlakes generally have towns on the northern and southern most edges. There are cottages lining them on the sides but no towns.

I would recommend finding a nice bed and breakfast or AirB and B in Watkins glen(Seneca lake) or Hammondsport(Keuka Lake). You will be in walking distance of both the water and the town. (Watkins Glen has somewhat more to do with the gorge, movie theater, etc, but it is still very small)

• Like 1

f

The Fingerlakes generally have towns on the northern and southern most edges. There are cottages lining them on the sides but no towns.

I would recommend finding a nice bed and breakfast or AirB and B in Watkins glen(Seneca lake) or Hammondsport(Keuka Lake). You will be in walking distance of both the water and the town. (Watkins Glen has somewhat more to do with the gorge, movie theater, etc, but it is still very small)

Thank you.  I have never heard of AirB and B!

Any thoughts on Canandaigua?

It depends on what you like. A place like Canandaigua is going to be really small. If that is what you like, and you want a really quiet vacation then that is great. It is a suburb of Rochester so that is where you will prob go for anything cultural or like a science museum or a decent restaurant. It's still wine country though, so there is that. You haven't really visited the finger lakes if you don't visit at least one vinyard and hike one gorge.

I spent more time in that area from childhood thru young adulthood. I've never liked the Ithaca vibe. Perhaps it was the time in my life?

Anyway...Seneca Lake is my favorite lake. I'd recommend getting a house on the lake and then go to towns and villages from there. Market St. in Corning has little shops and restaurants that teens might enjoy.

(When my dad was a teen, they'd swim across Seneca with some guys rowing boats for swimmers to ride back in for the return trip. People always told me, "Anyone could swim across. Your dad was the only one who would swim back.")

FYI...those lakes are cold, even in the dog days of August.

http://www.gafferdistrict.com/

I never liked Ithaca, either. My nieces went to Cornell, so I went up there a few times, and I was expecting an upscale, pretty college town like Princeton... and it wasn't.

I do think the scenery is beautiful in that area, though, and even though I'm not particularly outdoorsy, Seneca Lake looks like a great place to relax, especially if you have a house on the water. Corning is charming, too.

• Like 1

Lol, no, definitely not the"upscale" preppy vibe of Princeton. It's a very liberal, organic, "hippy", artsy type town. I'd compare it to perhaps the cool areas in Austin, TX. I'd feel fine letting kids walk around Ithaca, but it's too spread out for walking. Traffic is crazy during the summer.

I like Watkins Glen, walkable to the lake, small town with cafes, ice cream shops, and antique stores. Hammondsport is fine, very small downtown square, safe for kids, right on water.

I hope you're able to find a place, tho, the rentals on the lake usually are reserved months in advance. Corning Glass is an easy drive for both. It's a perfect place to cool off, they keep the place super cold in the summer! Downtown Corning has good eats and shopping, I love their Tommy Hilfiger, GH Bass, and Van Heusen shops for great priced clothes. (Tommy Hilfiger is from nearby Elmira.)

We will check into Watkins Glen.  I really think it would be important for the six kids to have a sense of freedom.  And our family loves great towns. 

A house on the water, though, close to hiking trails, would be ideal.

We will check into Watkins Glen. I really think it would be important for the six kids to have a sense of freedom. And our family loves great towns.

A house on the water, though, close to hiking trails, would be ideal.

It sounds like Watkins is what you want. There is more to do in Ithaca but it is not conducive to walking. Realize though that Watkins is one street long, and you will want to avoid NASCAR weekend. You aren't going to find a house on the water and in town on the Fingerlakes; the geography just really isn't set up that way. Canandaigua is nice too, but again, what is in walking distance is very little. I don't know about the hiking trails up that way. You will certainly want to check out the Watkins Glen state park no matter where you end up staying.

• Like 1

What about Skaneateles?

there certainly would be more to do there than in Watkins, lol. And Skaneateles is lovely, much nicer than Watkins. It's close to Syracuse for things like museums and decent restaurants.

Not as many things like hikes in the gorges or vinyards, but you could easily drive to stuff like that.

• Like 1

The more I was thinking about it the more I wondered if the thousands islands were more what you were looking for? They are just as lovely as the Fingerlakes, and there is more to do and better walking areas for teenagers.

Personal bias: I love the Thousand Islands and go for a few days whenever I possibly can.

It sounds like Watkins is what you want. There is more to do in Ithaca but it is not conducive to walking. Realize though that Watkins is one street long, and you will want to avoid NASCAR weekend. You aren't going to find a house on the water and in town on the Fingerlakes; the geography just really isn't set up that way. Canandaigua is nice too, but again, what is in walking distance is very little. I don't know about the hiking trails up that way. You will certainly want to check out the Watkins Glen state park no matter where you end up staying.

This is a must if you are in the area.  It is a magical place.   The town isn't much as I recall.

Oh, the park has (or had 3 years ago when were  there) a fabulous pool!   But it's the trails through the gorge that you must see.

This is a must if you are in the area.  It is a magical place.   The town isn't much as I recall.

Oh, the park has (or had 3 years ago when were  there) a fabulous pool!   But it's the trails through the gorge that you must see.

Yes, Watkins has A gorge, but "Ithaca is gorges".  We have many, a few running right through town. I have a major waterfall a 10 min walk from my house.

http://www.visitithaca.com/visitor-info/the-ithaca-experience.html

• Like 1