Menu

I am so tired of the word "like"

We fight this so much. My dds friends say, "like" all of the time. "She was like, he was like, I was like...." I can't stand it. I am constantly reminding them to not say it. I had to put 2 of the 3 in PS this year. Now they are around their friends more, so it rubs off on them even more. My 10yo doesn't say it much, but the 8yo ---AAHHHGGG.

It is on tv, movies, everywhere you go.... I don't let my girls watch much tv, very innocent shows such as Little House, Andy Griffith, etc. It reminds me of the "valley girl" times.

Anyone else notice this?

We fight this so much. My dds friends say, "like" all of the time. "She was like, he was like, I was like...." I can't stand it. I am constantly reminding them to not say it. I had to put 2 of the 3 in PS this year. Now they are around their friends more, so it rubs off on them even more. My 10yo doesn't say it much, but the 8yo ---AAHHHGGG.

Me too, BUT sometimes I use it just to be absurd. I find it fun.

When my oldest was starting to do this I kept interrupting her to ask "Like what?". She got the point.

We do sort of the same thing here. If the kids say "It was like the best movies I have ever seen" we then say "was it LIKE the best movie you've ever seen, or was it the best movie you've ever seen? Because if it was LIKE the best movie you've ever seen, what movie WAS the best you've ever seen, so that I can compare them" Then, they usually roll their eyes and walk away. My dh and I then try to look innocent while we say "What's the problem? We're just asking because we're old and all..."

What fun our children are!

when I was I was in college, I went on a 4 day geology field trip with a bunch on other geology students and 1 professor. Well, we found out that said professor (which none of us liked) really hated the use of the word "like". so you can guess what all of us students spent the entire 4 days saying! The professor was on the edge of screaming most of the time.

What I really dislike is "my Bad". I am trying not to get too upset over it, in case my loving dc might decide to say it just to torture me!