Menu

Engineering notation

Has anyone taught this to their kids? Do you have any good resource suggestions?

Dh thinks it would be good to introduce in late elementary alongside decimals, percentages etc. so I'm looking for interesting books on the subject.

Thanks!

Page 6 of the link PDF and page 2 of 2nd link PDF is what I used a lot for science in middle/high school and in engineering. Both have worked examples your child can follow. First PDF has questions to work through. Both links are university websites in PDF.

https://www.dlsweb.rmit.edu.au/lsu/content/3_MathsEssentials/maths_pdfs/scientific%20notation.pdf

http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/products/vex_online/lessons/remote_control/activities/activity_five.pdf

ETA:

My older had covered it in his science and math but the k12 textbooks did not use the term engineering notation. Just covered the way to write it under the topic standard notation, SI units, significant figures and the prefixes (micro, nano, kilo, mega ...). I can't remember which grade it was covered now.

• Like 1

:blink:

My oldest persists in saying he wants to be a "construction builder" when he grows up, which I understand as referring to Engineering of some sort.

I have no idea about any of it.....

Is there anything else I am ignorant about? Seriously, I'd like to know, just for future reference, lol.  :blushing:

My oldest persists in saying he wants to be a "construction builder" when he grows up, which I understand as referring to Engineering of some sort.

It can be civil engineering,architecture or building and estate management :)

If he wants to construct luxury liners or offshore rigs it would still be under civil engineering.

If he wants to construct airplanes, then look at aeronautical engineering.

If he want to construct prosthetics, then look at mechanical/biomechanical engineering.

Either way he would come across engineering notation and scientific notation in science.

Ooh Elizabeth B, that would be perfect! By older do you mean older edition?

Tammi, nah not an issue here. We don't have to do any testing and I don't think it's taught even in high school as a matter of course, only in electives like higher maths or physics. At least not in public schools. *refrains from jumping on soapbox*

Dh didn't see it til post high school electrical engineering studies.

• Like 1

Ooh Elizabeth B, that would be perfect! By older do you mean older edition?

Yes, the older editions are much better IMO. They start out with set theory and then tie everything together based on set theory and math axioms, it really helps you see the big picture.

It is explained much better in Pre-Algebra than Algebra, it just gets a brief review in Algebra. My Dolciani Pre-Algebra is c. 1973, 1970 and is red with a weird repeating Eagle/Cross design on the cover. They clearly explain exponents and powers in pages 437 - 443, then use this info to teach scientific notation, pages 444 - 450.

I do like the Algebra as well, but it focuses it Algebra and assumes a knowledge of the things taught in Pre-Algebra. My Dolciani Algebra is c. 1965, 1962. I like it much better than the more recent editions. I also have the Teacher's Manual for Algebra, it is a nice addition.

The Pre-Algebra book is expensive on Amazon right now, I got mine for $20. As people sell theirs at the end of the school year, it should go down to a more reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-School-Mathematics-Mary-Dolciani/dp/0395143853/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1429599307&sr=8-10&keywords=dolciani+pre-algebra

• Like 1