Menu

Any experience with Landry Academy chemistry intensive?

We haven't liked the option we chose for oldest's chem lab, and I want to try something new for the next one.  If your dc has used the Landry Academy chemistry intensive, would you please share your opinions?  I'm particularly interested in knowing how it went for anyone who had not yet completed the chemistry course.  Thanks.

• Like 1

T has done the Life and Physical science and Biology lab intensives, not chem yet, although I plan to sign her up next school year. The labs are self contained and don't require specific knowledge. The teachers travel around to motels holding the 2 day programs throughout the school year, so some kids are doing them in October and some are doing them in April depending on location. T's enjoyed both of the intensives she's done and I was pleased with the quality of the labs. They're all things that would be difficult or expensive to do at home. For us, it's a great solution for getting labs done and done right. It is much less expensive if you buy generic intensives during their sale periods, but it requires a year's advance planning.

Thanks!  Do they write up the labs in a traditional lab manual?  

They give you the complete lab manual with guides to write the lab reports. There is one assigned between the first session and the second, but the rest have to be done after the intensive is over due to time constraints.

Ds also took the Bio intensive. I think it's a great way to do labs you might not get done at home otherwise. They say the labs work for students who've completed the work and those who have not. Have your child finish the lab reports and find the chapter in the book that matches the lab so you can review when you get there. 

Yes, both of mine did this.  We use DIVE with the BJUP book. Both have a strong science background.  It was in the fall.  One was in chemistry, and the only was actually doing earth science at the time but I figured that it was good to send them both together.

They both enjoyed it immensely.  Indeed they did not write them all up, but I had them do several write-ups afterwards.  Mine watch the DIVE video labs too, so I feel like they got a full experience.

My younger one will actually have chemistry next year, and I plan to use the notebook to repeat some of them over the summer and have her write them up.  Then she'll watch the DIVE labs, and that will be that!

Hello~

My DD attended the Landry chemistry intensive in March, although she has not yet completed chemistry. She enjoyed the intensive and said the instructor explained topics clearly so they could be understood even if she hadn't studied them yet. DD also liked that the instructor asked questions as well as lecturing. She put a lot of effort into the lab report and learned much from the feedback. I am requiring my DD to complete lab reports for all the labs. It is also really nice to have all her labs completed! HTH :thumbup:  

My son took last fall, he liked it well, he had not taken the course yet but did not seem to have any problems. Finishing it this year so he took it just prior to taking it. I wont do this again cause I like to do labs and assignments together as it ties in but thought we'd try it. He took Apologia Chemistry this yr which is okay but had nothing to do with the labs. HTH

My son took last fall, he liked it well, he had not taken the course yet but did not seem to have any problems. Finishing it this year so he took it just prior to taking it. I wont do this again cause I like to do labs and assignments together as it ties in but thought we'd try it. He took Apologia Chemistry this yr which is okay but had nothing to do with the labs. HTH

Thanks for commenting.  I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say it had nothing to do with the labs.  Do you mean that the Landry labs don't relate to the Apologia course material?  Thanks for clarifying. 

My son did the chem lab intensive in Sept of 2013.  He had only done a small part of the Apologia Chemistry at that point.  He enjoyed it and he must have learned a lot because he would talk about the labs at various times that year as he came to some of the topics in the book.  It was so good to have done them all in two days.  

My 3 oldest are attending their second day of the Chemistry Intensive today. They are loving it!...talked all evening about it while finishing a simple lab report. My goal was simply to have my children have fun while getting some chemistry exposure. They still will continue their regular scheduled labs from their current chemistry course. For the intensives, no prior chemistry experience is needed because everything will be explained by the instructor. My daughter also enjoyed the biology intensive last fall (especially the dissection of a cat).

• Like 1

Chemistry lab with them is mediocre.   Most things could be done at home.  I would only go if it was cheap (purchase when they run their discounts) and close enough so you don't have to travel.

Their biology lab is well worth it!  We are going to Pittsburgh this afternoon for biology lab Friday and Saturday. 

Just my opinion - we've done both.  Love bio and chem was just meh...

• Like 1