Menu

Computer Based Curriulum

WahM

I'm looking for some suggestions of good quality curriculum that is computer based. If it comes on a CD that is a plus rather than a subscription. One of my kids loved the computer and if love for him to be able to do at least some work on there. I'd still like to be involved, of course. I do not want a full curriculum that is on the computer but maybe just one or two things. A lot of the computer programs I've looked at seem to be more of a supplement than a good quality full program. This would be for elementry grades.

I don't know many resources now that use DVD based learning but you could look at the Alpha Omega stuff.  

Veritas Press Self-Paced History, but it is an on-line subscription.  

Type to Learn 4, but again it is an on-line subscription.  You could do it through Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op for a discount.

Teaching Textbooks as mentioned above is also a great program for many kids (although I would not choose it for a STEM major) but I would absolutely also check work through another source periodically to confirm conceptual understanding and retention and have the student do some work on paper.  There are some kids who breeze through the entire program getting great grades then hit High School level testing and realize they really haven't mastered the material at all.

Time For Learning.

The Big History Project.

Khan Academy.

Landry Academy.

Athena Academy.

Currclick.

I believe there was a thread recently somewhere on the boards that had a massive list of computer based or on-line curriculum. You might search...

We use Teaching Textbooks and Essentials in Writing.   Essentials In Writing is DVD lectures (very short) and then worksheets.   My dd watches the lectures on the computer.   It covers grammar and writing.

Both are great programs, and both are very independent for us.

I wish there was a full curriculum for spelling, but I can't seem to find one. I don't want a full online based curriculum that covers all subjects just one or so and that's not a supplement, but those seem rare.

I like the looks of teaching textbooks, but I'd rather stay away from the "traditional" math for this kid.

Time4Learning is a full curriculum, but I think you can choose to just do parts. No one mentioned Dreambox, which is for math. Not sure what elementary grade, but something like Reading Eggs could be good for a kid who isn't reading chapter books yet. Also, you could turn geography over to Sheppard Software, which is great. They have games for everything, but it's really only the geography that I felt like could be almost a real program worth spending a lot of time on.

Time4Learning is a full curriculum, but I think you can choose to just do parts. No one mentioned Dreambox, which is for math. Not sure what elementary grade, but something like Reading Eggs could be good for a kid who isn't reading chapter books yet. Also, you could turn geography over to Sheppard Software, which is great. They have games for everything, but it's really only the geography that I felt like could be almost a real program worth spending a lot of time on.

Thanks! I was just looking at Sheplard Software yesterday and I think we are going to use that for geography.

Sequential Spelling offers DVDs.  If you visit Homeschoolbuyerscoop.com you can take a look at various offerings that are online/DVD based.  Not knowing exactly what type of programs you want makes it difficult to offer helpful suggestions.  I'm not sure what you mean by staying away from traditional math? 

Sequential Spelling offers DVDs. If you visit Homeschoolbuyerscoop.com you can take a look at various offerings that are online/DVD based. Not knowing exactly what type of programs you want makes it difficult to offer helpful suggestions. I'm not sure what you mean by staying away from traditional math?

Thanks I will look that up!

I guess I would be most interested in spelling, history/geography, Spanish, maybe science if it includes hands on activities. I love BFSU, but it would be nice to have something a little easier.

Oh, why don't you do Brainpop? Science and history - and there are even quizzes. It won't be hands on, obviously, but if your goal is to occupy him with something educational for a set time then let the other stuff you're doing be the richer, hands on stuff, then I think that would be a good one to try. It's okay if it's not fully organized and is just learning time generally, you know?

For spelling there's Spelling City but I was decidedly underwhelmed by that.

Easy peasy does not seem to offer any online/computer based subjects. It does have lesson plans, but that's all I see on there.

You go to Day 1 of whatever year and there is the instructions, with links.   You click each link and do the instructions.   Yeah, it doesn't mark for you.  There is sometimes something to print.    So maybe not quite as automated as something like Khan Academy (which it uses for some years) - but it fits what I'd call online/computer based subjects.      AmblesideOnline, on the other hand, is what I'd call lesson plans....

You go to Day 1 of whatever year and there is the instructions, with links.   You click each link and do the instructions.   Yeah, it doesn't mark for you.  There is sometimes something to print.    So maybe not quite as automated as something like Khan Academy (which it uses for some years) - but it fits what I'd call online/computer based subjects.      AmblesideOnline, on the other hand, is what I'd call lesson plans....

Thanks.  I will have to look at on my laptop or desktop because I was looking at it on my ipad and didn't notice that.

Oh, why don't you do Brainpop? Science and history - and there are even quizzes. It won't be hands on, obviously, but if your goal is to occupy him with something educational for a set time then let the other stuff you're doing be the richer, hands on stuff, then I think that would be a good one to try. It's okay if it's not fully organized and is just learning time generally, you know?

For spelling there's Spelling City but I was decidedly underwhelmed by that.

Yes! We love Brainpop and Brainpop Jr.  we use them all the time!