Menu

Do you prep/practice for standardized testing?

anmom

I think if kids have to take a standardized test (or if you're choose to do one) that it does them a disservice and increases anxiety if you don't do some level of prep. The year we tested, we did some test prep ahead of time so they'd know what it was like.

I just download a past year state standardized test from my state's dept of education website and let my kids have a practise run.

My older did miss out a bubble on his first state standardized test in public school. He was first to finish so the teacher did a quick glance and pointed out that one question was not bubbled.

I would prep my kids psychologically for a timed test but not for an untimed one.

After the first state testing my older did, I didn't bother prepping since he knew the bubble routine. The first time my younger boy did a standardised test was the Stanford10 on the computer. I didn't prep as he was already used to computer tests from being in a virtual academy. Besides he took it for fun and not for official purpose.

I do believe a child should be shown some sample questions before a standardised test. I don't want the results to be affected by them not being familiar with the test format.

ETA:

If you are doing the IOWA for your own information and not for official reasons, you might want to do an above grade level test. Your son may ceiling out of standardized test so the information may not be useful. (Based on your other thread)

I didn't do anything with my children to prep them for the actual test.  We talked about not talking during testing time and basic manners type stuff.  I didn't really think about the bubble sheets and such.  They have all done fine on the test.  The tests start with sample questions for them that the test proctor goes over and I am pretty sure they make sure the kids know how to fill in the sheets properly.  I think for my kids trying to prep them ahead would create anxiety more than make it better, but I am sure this varies by the child and their personality.

No.

(Our state requires yearly testing, though, so my kids are very comfortable with the standardized testing format and atmosphere. I might do some kind of practice test the day before if it was going to be my kids' one and only high-stakes testing experience. I would not "prep" though.)

I believe very strongly that the best preparation for any standardized test is a full, rich, challenging curriculum.

I tested my oldest son at home last year. I did no test prep at all. He learned how to fill in bubbles during the practice questions at the beginning. I give various tests periodically in my homeschool (chapter tests and the like), and I've never made a big deal out of them. He doesn't have any test anxiety. The SAT10 he took last year was no big deal.

That said, this standardized test was for my info only (not the state). So it really was no big deal for my son. No pressure to perform to a certain level or anything.

Yes and no.  My kids do/did a standardized test each year.  That seems to be good practice.

With the trend toward open ended answers (not multiple choice), I will probably do some extra prep with the younger one when appropriate.

The only prep I do is when they are in first grade and facing their first standardized test in the spring is teach them how to color in the bubbles.  Fortunately, our math curiculum does have problems like this once in a while so we just practice throughout the year.  I give them the test myself so I can remind them but I realized sometime during our homeschool years that the motion of coloring in those little circles well, does take some practice for the little ones.

Other than that, no, we don't do traditional prep.  I use the test only to satisfy the basic requirements of the state and to satisfy my curiosity and otherwise place little value on the results.

I'm using the test as prep this year. Experience filling in bubbles, etc.

I'm really curious how the math turns out as 6 months before the test we will have done BA and Math Rider exclusively and I suspect that few of the math problems look like what she's encountered in BA recently.

We do it to ease anxieties and build confidence. There is really no way to help with the academics. On most questions that are wrong he will say, "I had no idea on what that word meant, but I knew it wasn't these so I guessed that one." At that point it is just luck. Ds tends to work himself up over things, though, so a mini section of a five questions every couple days keeps that at bay.