Menu

Anyone used: Schola Tutorials/ Romanroads Media?

My two youngest have used Mr. Callihan's Schola Tutorials online. Next year my youngest will be using a combination of the videos and the live online classes because the purely online courses will no longer be available at her level. 

Even though my children haven't used the videos yet as curriculum, I am going through The Aeneid dvds right now in order to earn free curriculum for next year- http://www.romanroadsmedia.com/2015/01/classical-edu-for-parents/.  I am impressed with the quality of the videos. The graphics and art are a nice bonus that the live classes are missing. But, if you can afford it (and it is reasonably priced) I would still recommend adding the live session for the interaction with other students and Mr. Callihan.

I own the first Omnibus book and used it as a resource for teaching a class few years ago. I like the books in general, but they can't compare to the knowledge and wisdom that Mr. Callihan shares with the students. He has decades of experience teaching great books and I'm grateful that Roman Roads is preserving some of this on DVD.

Also, some people have been offended by the strong reformed stance in Omnibus. If that is an issue, Mr. Callihan, although a Protestant, is very respectful of other people's religion. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Aretemama~ Very helpful thanks!  My son is doing the last part of the Greek series along side of some of the Omnibus and we used the Great Books (Vandiver) as well this year.  My son is enjoying the Greek sections that we have done so far.  I am hoping to simplify my life next year and go with one.  I like how Romanroads spends more time on Ancients and separates the Greeks and Romans where as Omnibus combines the two for the most part.  Money is tight for us next year....would he be missing out too much if he did just the DVDs do you think?  Is there alot that goes on in the classes that the DVDs would miss?  Thanks again!

Aretemama~ Very helpful thanks!  My son is doing the last part of the Greek series along side of some of the Omnibus and we used the Great Books (Vandiver) as well this year.  My son is enjoying the Greek sections that we have done so far.  I am hoping to simplify my life next year and go with one.  I like how Romanroads spends more time on Ancients and separates the Greeks and Romans where as Omnibus combines the two for the most part.  Money is tight for us next year....would he be missing out too much if he did just the DVDs do you think?  Is there alot that goes on in the classes that the DVDs would miss?  Thanks again!

Since this new combination dvd/live class will be new, I can't really say how important the live class will be, but I know it's optional. It's going to be an hour a week, after the kids have done their reading and watched the dvds. I believe he'll be answering any questions that might have come up during the previous week's work.

As long as your son is happy with the Old Western Culture dvds, and if finances are tight, then I wouldn't worry about adding the live classes. One of the best things about the dvd series is that it makes going through a Great Books program possible for a lot of people who previously couldn't afford the various online tutorial services. But, it's not just any tutor. It's Mr. Callihan! My kids think he's the best. :001_smile:

• Like 2

Since this new combination dvd/live class will be new, I can't really say how important the live class will be, but I know it's optional. It's going to be an hour a week, after the kids have done their reading and watched the dvds. I believe he'll be answering any questions that might have come up during the previous week's work.

As long as your son is happy with the Old Western Culture dvds, and if finances are tight, then I wouldn't worry about adding the live classes. One of the best things about the dvd series is that it makes going through a Great Books program possible for a lot of people who previously couldn't afford the various online tutorial services. But, it's not just any tutor. It's Mr. Callihan! My kids think he's the best. :001_smile:

Aretemama,

Do you have a link to this combination class?  I couldn't find any information about it on the website.

Thank you!

Here is the link for Schola Tutorials:

http://www.scholatutorials.org/

Click on 'online tutorials' on the top left. It will take you to the schedule for next year. You can see that both GB 1 and GB 2 are combination classes that will be using the DVDs. Also, if there is someone who hasn't heard Mr. Callihan talk about his love for his subject, then this video is worth watching. It's kind of long, but definitely worth watching in it's entirety :

Warning- don't judge his classes by his website! His tutorials give students this incredible view of history and he helps them make all these connections that they wouldn't ever make on their own.

• Like 2

Here is the link for Schola Tutorials:

http://www.scholatutorials.org/

Click on 'online tutorials' on the top left. It will take you to the schedule for next year. You can see that both GB 1 and GB 2 are combination classes that will be using the DVDs. Also, if there is someone who hasn't heard Mr. Callihan talk about his love for his subject, then this video is worth watching. It's kind of long, but definitely worth watching in it's entirety :

Go to youtube and search Roman Roads Media. There you will find Mr. Callihans' library video.*

Warning- don't judge his classes by his website! His tutorials give students this incredible view of history and he helps them make all these connections that they wouldn't ever make on their own.

*I've edited this because instead of a link showing up, the actual video showed up, and I don't think I'm suppose to do that, right?

Thanks!  I had looked at the website, but I guess I didn't read it closely enough to see that the tutorial will be using the DVDs.  I'll go take another look.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best things about the dvd series is that it makes going through a Great Books program possible for a lot of people who previously couldn't afford the various online tutorial services. But, it's not just any tutor. It's Mr. Callihan! My kids think he's the best. :001_smile:

Thank you! This basically sold me. :) Waiting for the Aeneid bundle in the mail. YAY!!

• Like 1

My two youngest have used Mr. Callihan's Schola Tutorials online. Next year my youngest will be using a combination of the videos and the live online classes because the purely online courses will no longer be available at her level. 

Even though my children haven't used the videos yet as curriculum, I am going through The Aeneid dvds right now in order to earn free curriculum for next year- http://www.romanroadsmedia.com/2015/01/classical-edu-for-parents/.  I am impressed with the quality of the videos. The graphics and art are a nice bonus that the live classes are missing. But, if you can afford it (and it is reasonably priced) I would still recommend adding the live session for the interaction with other students and Mr. Callihan.

I own the first Omnibus book and used it as a resource for teaching a class few years ago. I like the books in general, but they can't compare to the knowledge and wisdom that Mr. Callihan shares with the students. He has decades of experience teaching great books and I'm grateful that Roman Roads is preserving some of this on DVD.

Also, some people have been offended by the strong reformed stance in Omnibus. If that is an issue, Mr. Callihan, although a Protestant, is very respectful of other people's religion. 

Hope this helps.

The Roman Roads/Schola Great Books program looks pretty amazing, but I wonder if it is possible to use it secularly. Have any secular homeschoolers watched the DVDs or taken these classes? 

Hi all! I saw a link to this thread, and noticed a couple people asking about the new "Flipped Classroom" that uses Old Western Culture and live online classes together. 

We are about to release all the info on www.romanroadsmedia.com about the new online class for year 2015-2016, though it is no secret as there is already info on Schola Classical Tutorials website. 

So you can consider this a special "pre-release" info post where you get to hear Wes Callihan talk about how the new course will work in this video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqkNGPAFMeI

Within about a week, you will be able to sign up for everything on RomanRoadsMedia.com! Thanks for the questions and comments! 

Blessings, 

Daniel 
Founder, Roman Roads Media

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone compare these to the Great Courses presented by Elizabeth Vandiver on Greek literature? The Vandiver lectures are available through the library so I'm just wondering if it's worth the additional expense for these.

• Like 1

FWIW, my son did Vandiver's Iliad & Odyssey which he liked okay granted it is not from a Christian point of view and my son labeled it as public school learning.  Ha!  It worked well and I know he learned a lot but it wasn't complete and I had to come up with my own essay questions, tests and papers.  However, when I found out about RomansMedia and we tried it for the second half of the year (he did the Greeks Philosophy unit this past term) we were sold.  My son is really enjoying his lectures and even though he doesn't go quite in depth as Omnibus does with Veritas in regards to religious issues he does bring them up and discusses them were he sees fit.  I love the layout and how the tests, planning and papers are already done for you so there is no prep work.  yeah!!  For me I am spending the money on it next year as we do the Romans year and the price is right for this month at homeschoolbuyerscoop at 30-40% off!  HTH

• Like 1

I was hoping those that have used Old Western Culture could answer a few questions as I am seriously considering purchasing this curriculum.

1) How long do the daily lessons take?

2) Could both the Greeks and the Romans be completed in eleven months?

3) Do you use the Roman Roads exclusively or do you supplement with a text?

Thanks! Dina

The courses are very meaty. I very very much doubt anyone could do both courses in eleven months. That would be four credits! Now, you might be able to reduce the courses down in size a bit. Do only part of the readings perhaps, but listen to all the videos. You would still get a lot out of it. Also, I cannot imagine supplementing these courses with a text. That would be absolutely unnecessary in my opinion.

• Like 1

The courses are very meaty. I very very much doubt anyone could do both courses in eleven months. That would be four credits! Now, you might be able to reduce the courses down in size a bit. Do only part of the readings perhaps, but listen to all the videos. You would still get a lot out of it. Also, I cannot imagine supplementing these courses with a text. That would be absolutely unnecessary in my opinion.

Thank you for your reply! Could you tell me about how long do the daily lessons take?

Answers to your questions:

1.  It depends on the day as to how long it takes and it varies.  It is meant to do daily.  To give you an idea the videos are @ 30 minutes, questions could take about 30 min. or so and reading days can vary from 30 min.- 1-1/2  hrs. 

2.  Yes, I agree with Pronghorn....each year is meant to be 2 credits one for literature and one for history if you did what it states in the guide.  I believe it would be way too much to do two years in one granted some days are shorter than others and so I have doubled up some things to leave a day off here and there or to have more time working on his paper. 

3.   I didn't see a need for a text, either but I do have my son put dates of author's studying or works in his timeline book and will have him look up maps, etc if needed.  I will also have him read from Spielvogel's Western Civilization and the Timetables of History as a reference sometimes as detailed in The Well Trained Mind book if I want to add more.   HTH

My son also is taking a full credit Rhetoric class on top of this for Literature and I did have him do a little Biblical Archaeology as a bit of an add on because I wanted it to go together as we were reading the OT through and I wanted everything to link together.  As a family we also did some poetry study on the side and did 3 Shakespeare plays this year.  You could add other small things to it as well but it is not needed.

• Like 1

I can't really tell you how long daily lessons take. My child started the program in seventh grade, which is much younger than it is made for. So, we have just been doing it on our own schedule, which does not really allow adequate time for it. And we use the library's books, which get repossessed now and then, causing a break in our studies. We have not done the tests and papers. Next year in ninth grade I am hoping we can finally finish the first year of the program, doing the tests and papers and finishing the reading.

• Like 1

Can anyone compare these to the Great Courses presented by Elizabeth Vandiver on Greek literature? The Vandiver lectures are available through the library so I'm just wondering if it's worth the additional expense for these.

My son wanted to major in Classics for years.  Now he realizes you can do very little with the degree, he has changed this idea, but still LOVES Classics.  We started reading, listening, and working with this sort of material quite a while ago and have gone though a mountain of it.  We have found nothing that can come close to Ms VanDiver.  She is absolutely brilliant, engaging, and delivers very complex material in a way that is niether overwhelming or patronizing.  However, she is for adults.  She is for kids who are very serious about learning the material and parents do not care much about sensoring.  If your child is not stoked to be doing Greek and Roman literature, then she is probably not the best bet.  They will learn a lot, but probably will not find a love for the subject as it has no bells or whistles.  It just has fascinating information.  Ms. Vandiver is not flashy; she's hardcore.

This is not to say that Roman Roads does all sorts of jazzy stuff, but it is definitely geared towards youth.  You do not have to worry about content of sexual or adult nature (and the Greeks did not shy away from such).  Mr. Callihan explains concepts with the idea that the information has never been expressed to anyone before, whereas most adults go into the various Greek literature with a base knowledge.  He is in video format with some humor thrown in.  The pace of Roman Roads is also faster, as they do not have the density level of the Great Courses.  If you are looking to expand the year, or make it denser you could always combine the two.  Mr. Callihan does more on the plot level and asks a few analitical questions.  Ms. Vandiver asks all analytical questions and gives you a brief (less than five minutes) summary of the plot.  Hers really focus on what each chapter says about the culture of Greece, how that has shaped our culture, and how it can be interpreted as literature based upon these two dynamics.  Mr. Callihan asks you to think about the story.

Personally, we are combining the two.  My son will do Greeks next year and then relisten to the VanDiver lectures for a third time, since he gets more and more out of them each listening through. They compliment really well if you have a motivated student.  The Great Courses are free to us though the library as well.  If you have access, you might want to listen to them yourself to see if they are something your student would like or if you just want to throw out a bit of info here or there for them to consider instead of actually listening.

• Like 3

FYI: It looks like the Old Western Culture programs go on sale at Homeschool Buyers Coop on 4/27. 

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/old-western-culture/?c=1

We have decided to take the plunge and order year I and II!  Thanks everyone for your replies and to Lakeside for the heads up about Homeschool Buyers Co-op. :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: 

I just saw that this has reached the lower sale price at HSBC.  

Yeah, needed a price break!   :)  Thanks for sharing!   :hurray:

I've been eye-balling these too.  With this terrific sale, I couldn't pass them up - bought both.

I'm so envious! I'm a self-educator and tried to sign up at HSBC, but, alas, since I have no kids, I am not allowed.  :sad: Please provide reviews so that I may learn vicariously thru you all. Best wishes and have fun.

I'm so envious! I'm a self-educator and tried to sign up at HSBC, but, alas, since I have no kids, I am not allowed.  :sad: Please provide reviews so that I may learn vicariously thru you all. Best wishes and have fun.

:thumbdown: I'm sorry.  That really stinks.  Maybe you could contact them and let them know that you are a self-educator and see if you could join.  

• Like 2

:thumbdown: I'm sorry.  That really stinks.  Maybe you could contact them and let them know that you are a self-educator and see if you could join.  

Thanks for your response.

I did contact them:

I am a self educator and would like to join your co-op. Do you allow adults with no children to join? It appears you are offering a deal on Roman Roads Media that I am interested in buying. Thank you.

This is their response:

Thank you for your interest in Homeschool Buyers Co-op!  

Co-op membership is open to parents, grandparents, and guardians that purchase educational products and services for the purpose of educating their child/ren in a home setting or in a homeschool-friendly setting, such as a church or local-level homeschool co-op location.

Co-op membership is also open to instructors who have been appointed by a parent to assist or guide the instruction of the parent's children in the parent's home.

If this describes you, please visit our homepage, and click on the "Join Now-It's FREE!" button to become a Member: 

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/

However, from your message description it does not sound like the above applies to you.  We are sorrry.

Please let us know if you need additional assistance or if you have any further questions.  Again, thank you for your interest, and we look forward to serving your needs in the future.  We appreciate you!  Have a wonderful day!

FWIW, my son did Vandiver's Iliad & Odyssey which he liked okay granted it is not from a Christian point of view and my son labeled it as public school learning. Ha! It worked well and I know he learned a lot but it wasn't complete and I had to come up with my own essay questions, tests and papers. However, when I found out about RomansMedia and we tried it for the second half of the year (he did the Greeks Philosophy unit this past term) we were sold. My son is really enjoying his lectures and even though he doesn't go quite in depth as Omnibus does with Veritas in regards to religious issues he does bring them up and discusses them were he sees fit. I love the layout and how the tests, planning and papers are already done for you so there is no prep work. yeah!! For me I am spending the money on it next year as we do the Romans year and the price is right for this month at homeschoolbuyerscoop at 30-40% off! HTH

Is there a reason you didn't use the discussion and essay questions supplied with the VanDiver courses? The guide book provides two essay questions for every lecture, a detailed outline with which to get test questions from (along with answers), and a multitude of topics for papers. This is one of the best features, I think. It really means my work is slim to none.

EndofOrdinary~  We got our VanDiver courses from the library.  It had a booklet that came with it giving information on how to break up the course in regards to time, a little summary of what each lesson was on and that was it.  Maybe it was because it was an older version?  Never saw what you are talking, sounds great though!