Menu

Online Latin

Guest Maryland Amy

Guest Maryland Amy

I am looking for an online Latin course for my DD?  Do you have recommendations or even comparisons?  She went all the way through Latin for Children and is finishing Latin Alive 2 this year.    I know that the different levels are not comparable and that she will need to take a placement evaluation of some sort regarless of what we choose.  Any thoughts would be very helpful.

Thanks and blessings,

Amy

Guest Maryland Amy

Thanks,   I have looked at/am looking at

CAP

Scholars Online (Bruce McMenomy)

Lukieon (Amy Barr)

Harvey Center (Dale Grote)

Potters School

Veritas Press

Recommendations???

My favorites are Lukeion and Wilson Hill Academy. (Click on the "Register" tab on the right to see the clearest list of classes and date/time/teacher details)

Lukeion Latin is probably the most hard core online Latin class out there. It had a lot of great reviews here, and, what I found interesting when I was researching options, many students seem to love the classes, despite the level of rigor and the work required. They use Wheelock's for Latin 1 & 2 and then move into readings in Latin 3. My 9th graders are taking Latin 3 and my 7th grader is taking Latin 1. They are learning great study skills along with the Latin.

Wilson HIll has a wonderful Latin teacher in Joanna Hensley, who used to be at Veritas Press. Her classes always filled up within hours of registration opening at VP, so I know it wasn't just me. WHA uses Latin for Children for their grammar level classes and Latin Alive 1-4 for the high school Latin, so that may be a good option for you. When I was looking at options for my daughter, I was thinking WHA might offer a "kinder, gentler" approach to Latin than Lukeion and might be better for my daughter, but we'd already been down the Wheelock's path and I didn't want to switch. (Fortunately, my daughter's risen to the challenge of Lukeion. For now. LOL)

My favorites are Lukeion and Wilson Hill Academy. (Click on the "Register" tab on the right to see the clearest list of classes and date/time/teacher details)

Lukeion Latin is probably the hardest core online Latin class out there. It had a lot of great reviews here, and, what I found interesting when I was researching options, many students seem to love the classes, despite the level of rigor and the work required. They use Wheelock's for Latin 1 & 2 and then move into readings in Latin 3. My 9th graders are taking Latin 3 and my 7th grader is taking Latin 1. They are learning great study skills along with the Latin.

Wilson HIll has a wonderful Latin teacher in Joanna Hensle,y who used to be at Veritas Press. Her classes always filled up within hours of registration opening at VP, so I know it wasn't just me. WHA uses Latin for Children for their grammar level classes and Latin Alive 1-4 for the high school Latin, so that may be a good option for you. When I was looking at options for my daughter, I was thinking WHA might offer a "kinder, gentler" approach to Latin than Lukeion and might be better for my daughter, but we'd already been down the Wheelock's path and I didn't want to switch. (Fortunately, my daughter's risen to the challenge of Lukeion. For now. LOL)

Yes, I agree my oldest had Joanna at Veritas Press and then did Latin 3 and 4 (AP) with Lukeion.  He's a Latin fiend though.

My next one does well, but has other AP interests, so we're going with CAP next year.  After completing Wheelock's with Veritas Press, she'll be taking CAP's Latin 4, which is pre-AP Latin.  Wilson Hill has a reading class that would have been good, but we want a live class and the time didn't work out.

My son took Latin 1 this year from the Harvey Center, and he is signed up for Latin 2. Magistra Beth is his teacher, and we were obviously happy enough to sign up for another year. The class has been well suited to our needs and goals.

My son took Latin 100 from Lone Pine this year, and I recommend it wholeheartedly. He had some struggles in the beginning as he adjusted to the workload, but he stuck it out and managed to score a perfect paper on the NLE this spring. He really likes the teacher, and has a lot of fun in the class. I was a bit dubious about the textbook (Orberg's Lingua Latina), but I can't argue with the results. I also like that the classes meet twice a week. My ds will be moving on to Latin 200 at Lone Pine next year, and is already asking if he can go to next year's convention in Colorado. Lone Pine been a big hit at our house.

Has anyone taken classes from the Classical Learning Resource Center?

DD has but not their Latin/Greek courses. I would have signed up for CLRC's Greek which also uses Athenaze and goes at an easier pace than Lukeion's Greek, but the Barrs forgot to ask me whether it would be alright to schedule their Latin 2 class right smack in the middle of CLRC's Greek, LOL. So now, DD will be studying both Greek and Latin with the Barrs. It's not my ideal schedule for Greek since we do have some extra time. It will be a tough semester for DD, but I'm taking Greek one semester at a time. And if it's just too much, I'll switch over a year later if the schedules don't clash.

If you have specific questions about CLRC, feel free to ask me. Anne Van Fossen is the very best at responding to emails. DD has taken 4 classes which are always very small with excellent teachers. Most of the teachers have advanced degrees. It's a smaller community at CLRC so they seem very willing to work with parents and make it a good experience for kids.

I would just do Latin Alive III with Wilson Hill for a seamless transition.  Then, you could switch to something else for Latin reading.  I think I read that Latin Alive I-III equals years 1 and 2 of Wheelock or Henle.  At this stage, I would just keep on with what you are using.  We use it as well and love it! 

I believe VP teaches Latin Transitions with Latin Alive I and II then uses Wheelock for Latin I and II, but you would have to back track a little to go this route.