Menu

Macronutrients

Night Elf

So I've been reading the maintenance board at My Fitness Pal. I see people talking about tracking macros. An internet search told me this means tracking individual nutrients like carbs, protein, and fat. My question is, how do you know how many of each to eat daily? In the goal settings, I changed my carbs because I was diagnosed with prediabetes and am mindful of how many carbs I eat. But what do I do with the other numbers? Is there some magic way to calculate what my body weight and activity level mean for the how many grams I need of protein and fat? And when I see people talking about their macros by percentages, how is that calculated? For example, 40% fat of what number, and is that the number I aim to eat daily?

The way I do it is to use a keto calculator (even if not trying to be "in ketosis") and set carbs and protein, then it will calculate percentages. If you're trying to lose weight, it's a bit of a guessing game IME/IMO. You have to try to find the lines where your body is happy. Some people can ignore calories if they stay below X carbs, but some people have to look at both. Protein you don't want to overdo either, even if your body turns out not to be sensitive to carbs.

Ask 100 people and I think you'll get 100 different answers.

*sigh* How true is that? I am just trying to find the best way to maintain my weight and get more healthy. I lost weight only tracking WW points, calories and carbs. I'll probably just stick to that, but I found the idea of knowing how much protein and fat I should be aiming for interesting.

• Like 1

The way I do it is to use a keto calculator (even if not trying to be "in ketosis") and set carbs and protein, then it will calculate percentages. If you're trying to lose weight, it's a bit of a guessing game IME/IMO. You have to try to find the lines where your body is happy. Some people can ignore calories if they stay below X carbs, but some people have to look at both. Protein you don't want to overdo either, even if your body turns out not to be sensitive to carbs.

What does carb sensitive mean?

And when I see people talking about their macros by percentages, how is that calculated? For example, 40% fat of what number, and is that the number I aim to eat daily?

That means 40% of your daily calories should come from that particular nutrient. 

I'd not worry about changing the other numbers. I have lowered my carb limit (like you), but the others fall where they will. 

I am currently reading In Defense of Food , and he makes a lot of sense. Basically, he narrows it down to "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Trying to get all the "numbers right" will drive you crazy. Like me.   :)

• Like 1

I'm a big believer in and follower of ketogenic diets -- that basically just means low-carb and high-fat enough that your body is burning primarily fat as its main fuel source rather than carbs (that's a simplification, but you get the gist).

If you want the really detailed, scientific explanation, then I highly recommend the book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Drs. Phinney and Volek: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427632808&sr=1-1&keywords=the+art+and+science+of+low+carbohydrate+living It's the single best low-carb book that I've personally ever read.

A summarized explanation of their recommendations is available here: http://nkevolution.freeforums.net/thread/191/nk-january-2015?page=1

These same doctors wrote a somewhat simplified version of their recommendations for the book The New Atkins for a New You, and I like simple, so that's the one I follow. The book says that a woman of my height (5'8") can eat 78-162 grams of protein per day (if you want to tell me your height, I can tell you their recommended range.) That's a fairly broad range, so it gives me a lot of flexibility, and the freedom not to worry about it too much! :)

Your carbohydrate level is determined by your health concerns and how much weight you want to lose, and how YOUR body responds to carbs, because we're all different. My maintenance level (the amount I can eat while keeping my health and body weight where I want it) is lower than most people's: only 40 grams per day.

So basically I aim for 40g per day of carbs, 100g of protein, and all the rest of my caloric intake comes from fat.

I go by grams, not percentages, but in case you're curious, I believe that usually works out to about 10-15% of my calories coming from carbs, 20-25% from protein, and 60-70% from fat.

• Like 1

*sigh* How true is that? I am just trying to find the best way to maintain my weight and get more healthy. I lost weight only tracking WW points, calories and carbs. I'll probably just stick to that, but I found the idea of knowing how much protein and fat I should be aiming for interesting.

Do what you did to lose the weight except this time you'll want to eat enough to sustain your weight instead of lose more. So adjust the carb percentage in MFP if that's what you're going to use and don't worry so much about the rest. The scale will give you feedback.

The goal is to lose weight in a way that you can sustain for the rest of your life. You know what works for you so it doesn't really matter what works for anyone else and there's no reason for you to change now. :0). Congrats!

The book says that a woman of my height (5'8") can eat 78-162 grams of protein per day (if you want to tell me your height, I can tell you their recommended range.) That's a fairly broad range, so it gives me a lot of flexibility, and the freedom not to worry about it too much! :)

Wow, that's a lot of protein. I'm sure I don't get anywhere near that. Unfortunately, I can be carb heavy as I'm a carboholic, but I've managed to stay about 150 grams a day and still lost weight. I'm 5'7". I do understand low carb high fat, but I'm afraid to move into that kind of lifestyle because I've gotten so used to eating low fat. I feel like I'll gain all my weight back if I eat too much fat. I guess lower carbs balances that, but I don't think I can sustain a low carb diet. I'd feel deprived all the time. That's one reason I love Weight Watchers. I can eat whatever I want in moderation and still lose or maintain my weight.

"There is in fact an overwhelming global consensus on what constitutes eating well"

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/do-you-really-know-whats-good-david-l-katz-md-mph

Don't get distracted by what's on the talk show, the 24h news cycle and the book shelves which are being endlessly flogged as exciting new research.

That's just marketing schill and snake oil salesmen...

Complex carbs (not simple carbs) should be the source of majority of calories. Moderate protein. Small, healthy fat.

I guess lower carbs balances that, but I don't think I can sustain a low carb diet. I'd feel deprived all the time. That's one reason I love Weight Watchers. I can eat whatever I want in moderation and still lose or maintain my weight.

Me either! For me a diet that's 60-70% fat would be a recipe for nausea starting at the first meal and continuing 6 mos out which is when I gave up the last time I tried it. I gained all that weight back.

If you look at the weight loss registry where people have successfully lost weight and kept it off you'll see that they did so because they made changes to what they ate and how they lived that they can sustain over the long haul. Moderation doen't sell books or look great on TV shows. It doesn't sustain blog/web empires.

Does WW have a maintenance phase? I'd look into that if it's already working for you.

Does WW have a maintenance phase? I'd look into that if it's already working for you.

Oh yeah, I've been on maintenance for about 2.5 years. I even lost another 10 lbs. during the second year of maintenance because I started watching carbs since I was diagnosed prediabetic. So yeah, it works. I was just curious about the macros. I'd love to know how close I get to what My Fitness Pal recommends. I'd just have to refigure some foods that I only know points, calories and carbs for. That doesn't sound fun though. I'm just lazy.

Wow, that's a lot of protein. I'm sure I don't get anywhere near that. Unfortunately, I can be carb heavy as I'm a carboholic, but I've managed to stay about 150 grams a day and still lost weight. I'm 5'7". I do understand low carb high fat, but I'm afraid to move into that kind of lifestyle because I've gotten so used to eating low fat. I feel like I'll gain all my weight back if I eat too much fat. I guess lower carbs balances that, but I don't think I can sustain a low carb diet. I'd feel deprived all the time. That's one reason I love Weight Watchers. I can eat whatever I want in moderation and still lose or maintain my weight.

As much as I love LCHF, I realize it doesn't work for everyone. If 150g of carbs per day works well for you, then no need to go lower! I'm jealous. I start to gain at just 50g per day! :(

Protein is necessary for satiety, for repairing and building tissues, and lots of other vital stuff. So I would recommend trying to get at least into the bottom end of your recommended range, which is 76-159g per day. If you don't want to count individual grams, one easier way is to do what is called the rule of sevens in the New Atkins book. An ounce of a protein-rich food has about 7g of pure protein. For women of our height, they recommend aiming for 17 ounces per day. If you eat a piece of chicken or other meat that's about the size of a deck of cards, that's 3 ounces. Some cheese cubes the size of four dize, that's one ounce. So you can "eyeball" it without having to do lots of math if you prefer.

As much as I love LCHF, I realize it doesn't work for everyone. If 150g of carbs per day works well for you, then no need to go lower! I'm jealous. I start to gain at just 50g per day! :(

Protein is necessary for satiety, for repairing and building tissues, and lots of other vital stuff. So I would recommend trying to get at least into the bottom end of your recommended range, which is 76-159g per day. If you don't want to count individual grams, one easier way is to do what is called the rule of sevens in the New Atkins book. An ounce of a protein-rich food has about 7g of pure protein. For women of our height, they recommend aiming for 17 ounces per day. If you eat a piece of chicken or other meat that's about the size of a deck of cards, that's 3 ounces. Some cheese cubes the size of four dize, that's one ounce. So you can "eyeball" it without having to do lots of math if you prefer.

Thanks Greta. I'm going to look into protein. I'm sure I'm not getting enough. I do feel hungry a lot of the time, but it's not a bad hunger feeling so I can work through it by drinking water. I'll admit it would be nice to eat something and not want to eat again in an hour. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Greta. I'm going to look into protein. I'm sure I'm not getting enough. I do feel hungry a lot of the time, but it's not a bad hunger feeling so I can work through it by drinking water. I'll admit it would be nice to eat something and not want to eat again in an hour. :)

Sounds like it would be worth doing the experiment, then. You might have more steady energy and less hunger if you up your protein. (I know you didn't menion any problems with energy levels - that's just what *I* noticed when I started eating more protein.) If you decide to try it, let us know how it turns out for you!