Menu

teaching kids PowerPoint

MeganW

My kids have never used PowerPoint, and have to do a presentation using it.  We have two weeks, and plenty of time.  I thought I'd use this time to teach them how to do it.  Thoughts on how to do that?  Is there an app?  Game?  Website?  Anything more interesting and effective than me talking?  :)

I let mine just work with it and try out things on their own, when they were in 5th grade.

Powerpoint is very intuitive. In my experience, the best way to learn to use any software is to just play around with it. Just tell them to save often, and show them how to use google to find out stuff they want to do. It's important that they feel confident that they are allowed to explore and experiment, and not afraid of "messing things up".

• Like 3

I put together a brief slide show (about President Hoover, I think) and used it to show some of the possibilities, particularly with regard to transitions and animations. Then they went off and messed around a bit. Once they see some of the possibilities, just doing it is a nice way to really learn it.

DD had an assignment, a month or two ago, that specified PowerPoint. Her PC has WORD but we were not going to buy PowerPoint for that assignment. She downloaded and installed LibreOffice 4.4 which is free. She used the equivalent of PowerPoint.  I did not hear any complaints from her.  Apparently her Instructor was able to view her assignment, without any issues. If you just play around in the Application you will probably learn how to use the most important functions and they have Help available.

• Like 1

Outlining, Edward Tufte, Barbara Minto, etc might be suggested to make good Powerpoint presentations.

Tufte is great for ideas on how to visually present information. I understand what you are saying and agree...

I just find it ironic considering his widely stated view that PowerPoint is evil and is making our entire society stupider.[1]

[1] http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/ppt2.html

I just find it ironic considering his widely stated view that PowerPoint is evil and is making our entire society stupider.

Hyperbole, but he does have a valid point in that the standard templates of Powerpoint are terrible.