Menu

Question @ turning in used ink cartidges for credit

Can you still turn those in for credit at the office supply stores?  If you do this, can you tell me which store you use and how it works.  I did this but it was ages ago, and now I have a big baggie full of cartridges.

I remember doing that ages ago. Office Max/Depot and Staples used to take them. I haven't seen anything about it lately.

We use toner now, and it comes with it's own box to mail it back (no credit). 

My used ink cartridges go to Staples for "Rewards", also known as credit that I can use in store or when shopping Staples online.  The Rewards do have an expiration date, and you are limited in how much you can turn in each month.  The program is free to sign up, and I've found it to be one way to save some money on the never ending ink/paper/pencils/notebooks/stuff purchases. 

• Like 1

I switched from staples to office depot due to crazy-making issues with their rewards program. Office Depot is slightly better, but I think they have the same type of "buy some ink here to get the discount" type of deal.

After I switched Staples bought Office Depot, perhaps they valued my business more than I realized! But also, any differences in policy will likely disappear in the next few years.

• Like 1

My husband turns in ink cartridges to Staples. You do need to buy ink from there, too, but that is not a problem for him since he buys the ink for his office. Financially, it has helped us out a lot. He uses the rewards money to buy homeschool supplies for the kids, and on months when I don't need anything, he buys paper towels and cleaning supplies.

I turn mine in at Office Max (now office max/office depot). I am not familiar with the restrictions others are mentioning--maybe I do need to look at it, but my understanding is that you can't get ink credit until you have spent that much money (on anything in the store). So if I have $20 in ink credits I will get it paid out when I spend $20 in store.  I will admit to not having looked at the rules recently so maybe I am wrong.