Menu

Catholic School for Dummies

Well, it looks like one or two of my kids will be going to Catholic School next year. We are very excited and love the school! However, we are not Catholic. We are Presbyterian. Last night we were at Open House and my dd was already asking questions about certain things and I just don't know how to answer her. I want to fully prepare my kids this summer and teach them to be respectful (we've tried to teach them to respect other religions all along, but sometimes..... you know how kids can be) of what the school teaches, even though that is not what our church teaches. Are there any resources out there that can help?

If she has specific questions you want to have answered get the catechism and look it up together as questions arise. That is the easiest way to gain perspective as questions arise. I imagine she'll have to take religion class there so she'll be learning more about the faith there and hopefully have a good teacher who can answer any questions accurately.

As hjffkj hinted at, there's a lot of variety in how Catholic schools teach religion and what their practices are. There are lots of resources on the internet to look things up and you can always ask here. At our local Catholic school, they teach very little about the Catholic faith and seem to practice it less. As a non-Catholic, it would be easy to think that what a certain school teaches is accurate but that's often not the case. Catholicanswers.com might be a good resource for your needs when questions come up.

I hope your family's time at the Catholic school is a blessing for all of you.

• Like 1

Well, this school is very Catholic. Each classroom has an altar (see, I don't even know if that's what it's called) in the corner with candles and rosary beads, etc. My dd was asking what those were for and about the "necklaces". They pray before each class, have weekly Mass. I think it will be a very different experience for my kids, but I think that in spite of the differences they have it will be good. The people are so friendly, the teachers are very nice and the kids we saw there seem like really good kids. My DS is not guaranteed a spot.... The class he would be in is full, so we're on the waiting list. But every teacher talks about that 6th grade class as a group of go-getters -involved in sports, Academic Decathalon, etc. I think it would be great for DS to be with a group of kids like that who hopefully will spur him on.

(I say the following as a former Catholic and current United Methodist.  No disrespect intended.  Just info I find helpful.)  One thing that is rather different in the Catholic culture is that they ask Mary and the saints to pray for them a lot.  Like, a lot of their prayers include "pray for us" directed at these (dead) people like Mary and various saints.  I have been told that it is just like when you (Protestant) ask your friends or other people to pray for you.  It's the same thing.  And really, I suppose it is, if you truly believe that Mary and the saints have passed on to life eternal.  And you are just asking them to pray for you.  Sometimes this is misunderstood as worshipping Mary and the saints, but it is not.  It is recognizing their eternal life and asking them to pray for you.

I hope you find that helpful.  I have to remind myself of it periodically because it's just so different from the United Methodist culture.

They will also likely have to memorize prayers like the "Hail Mary" if they do the rosary a lot (sounds like they might since there are altars and rosaries in every room.)  The words from "Hail Mary" are actually quite Biblical, I learned recently.  "Hail Mary, Full of Grace" is what the angel said to Mary when he told her she was going to have a baby.  You can look up where the wording comes from if you want.  And the "Hail Mary" is ultimately another "pray for us" prayer.

The Catholic culture is certainly different from a Protestant one, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal.  We're all Christians.  

• Like 2

Wow, I have never seen a school like that. Most of the Catholic schools we have been around have been marginally Catholic at best.

The Catechism is available online. New Advent.org has the Catholic Encyclopedia online. There are several Catholic forums like Catholic Answers, EWTN. I can't think of a single book appropriate for children, though.

You could always just ask here or PM some of the Catholic posters your specific questions so they could direct you to specific sites.

Before school starts, the big issues I think you might want to address are Mass, Holy Eucharist, devotion to the saints, intercession of saints, and the devotion to Mary. The liturgical yr might be another. School starts in ordinary time, but she will experience Advent prior to Christmas and Lent prior to Easter.

Fwiw, Scott Hahn's talk The Fourth Cup is an excellent introduction to the Eucharist. http://www.salvationhistory.com/audio-resources/the_fourth_cup

While googling for that, I also found this link (but didn't explore it.) http://www.the4thcup.com

Also, what you saw in the room would be considered a prayer altar. I have to get busy, but I will try to add some other links later.
http://www.aquinasandmore.com/catholic-articles/devotion-to-the-saints/article/201/sort/relevance/productsperpage/12/layout/grid/currentpage/1/keywords/saints
http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/prayers-and-devotions/mary-and-the-saints/index.cfm

• Like 1

Presbyterian, married to a Catholic here so I have some relevant experience. If they're going to attend Mass during the week I think you should make a point to attend with them once beforehand and be able to point out the things that are the same or different. I've done a lot of reading and studying what goes on at the mass over the last decade and shorthand is: there are certain responses I don't give and when they kneel I sit respectfully. Respect is the real key but they need to understand enough to know what is going on and what you guys disagree with. Goes without saying that they will not receive the eucharist there: that would be inappropriate from every point of view. 

Make sure they're comfortable with their own faith but respectful of what they learn. It is always respectful to sit silent during a time when others are reciting prayers you don't agree with. You can get a copy of a missal (the prayers and verses used in mass) and look it over, it can be hard to hear what the priest is saying sometimes and that will let you look through things. 

Be aware if you have familiarity with the Westminster Catechism as a Presbyterian, the Catholic Catechism is a very different beast. While the WC is fairly focused on a specific set of question, the Catholic catechism covers a lot more topics and is not as straightforward, so if you look things up there you may end up being even more confused. You can google Catholic stuff online but honestly it gets very frustrating because a lot of the specific differences you'll see between Reformed beliefs and Catholic tend to spark online fights and nothing really substantive.

Don't let them feel pressured to do things they're uncomfortable with. My Catholic husband is uncomfortable praying to saints/Mary, we have no rosaries or statues in our house. There's not actually one true Catholic way to do anything. 

Presbyterian, married to a Catholic here so I have some relevant experience. If they're going to attend Mass during the week I think you should make a point to attend with them once beforehand and be able to point out the things that are the same or different. I've done a lot of reading and studying what goes on at the mass over the last decade and shorthand is: there are certain responses I don't give and when they kneel I sit respectfully. Respect is the real key but they need to understand enough to know what is going on and what you guys disagree with. Goes without saying that they will not receive the eucharist there: that would be inappropriate from every point of view. 

Make sure they're comfortable with their own faith but respectful of what they learn. It is always respectful to sit silent during a time when others are reciting prayers you don't agree with. You can get a copy of a missal (the prayers and verses used in mass) and look it over, it can be hard to hear what the priest is saying sometimes and that will let you look through things. 

Be aware if you have familiarity with the Westminster Catechism as a Presbyterian, the Catholic Catechism is a very different beast. While the WC is fairly focused on a specific set of question, the Catholic catechism covers a lot more topics and is not as straightforward, so if you look things up there you may end up being even more confused. You can google Catholic stuff online but honestly it gets very frustrating because a lot of the specific differences you'll see between Reformed beliefs and Catholic tend to spark online fights and nothing really substantive.

Don't let them feel pressured to do things they're uncomfortable with. My Catholic husband is uncomfortable praying to saints/Mary, we have no rosaries or statues in our house. There's not actually one true Catholic way to do anything. 

That's not true. A Catholic who isn't "comfortable" turning to the Blessed Mother, or saying the rosary, needs to speak to his priest. It is, indeed, an issue for a Catholic who desires to be in full communion with The Church. 

If the children attend a traditional Catholic school, they will have to do things their way, no matter their comfort level, so telling the OP to not let the children "feel pressured" isn't helpful - the children will be required to take the religion classes, recite the rosary, participate in prayers and the Mass; while Catholic schools are unique in that they do not require students BE Catholic, the children are required to participate fully in the catholic faith as it is represented at the school - at least around here they are.

• Like 2

OP, I wouldn't worry too much. Catholic schools do not require students be Catholic to attend; because of this, they typically have a fairly large number of non-Catholic students... or, more commonly, children from inter-faith households (one Catholic parent; one non-Catholic parent - jewish/Catholic households are common among catholic school students, for example).

I would tell your children not to feel defensive or intimidated if they're asked to share some of their own faith with their class - it's typical to be asked that, and it isn't being asked to start a fight at all... they are sincerely interested in learning about how different denominations/faiths view some things, often in an attempt to find "common ground".

They aren't going to expect your children to know anything about the faith coming in - they will be very patient, very respectful, and very kind during the learning process (at least in my experience). 

I would suggest you attend a Mass or two prior to the school year, so that you know what the children are talking about when they come home.

• Like 1

I agree with the first part of your post, Aimee, but not the second. OurCatholic schools are less Catholic than they are Catholic. I think the OP needs to understand the culture of the particular school and what the expect from their non-Catholic students.

That's why I said "around here" ;) Despite that we live in a protestant Bible belt, the catholic schools we do have tend to lean "very Catholic" and definitely require full participation from even the non-catholic students. They do NOT require the children receive sacraments, but the children DO have to go through sacrament prep, depending on the year/grade, with their classmates, for example.

OP, the other thing you may want to talk about with your children...

If you're protestant, it's common (from what I understand) to take communion no matter your age, and no matter the church? I think this may vary. However, in the Catholic faith, and in a Catholic church, only Catholics (in communion with the church; i.e. one that has been to confession, etc), and who have received first holy communion, and gone through their first reconciliation/confession, should take communion, and non-Catholics should NOT take communion.

• Like 1

Wow, I have never seen a school like that. Most of the Catholic schools we have been around have been marginally Catholic at best.

l]

Yeah, we have quite an active Catholic community here. We live in a relatively small town, predominantly Hispanic. This school has been around for a long time and has always been very successful.

And thanks for the links. I will look them up!

If the Public Schools in your area are not good, then I suggest you give this a try. When I was a boy, in Public School, my mother had a friend whose boys were in a Catholic school.  I know they got a better education than I did. However, things vary from place to place and from time to time...   DD was in a Catholic school for 4 school  years (2nd thru 4th grade).  The school had a very good reputation when she started there. Had as in past tense.  They were suffering from declining enrollment and the quality of the education declined, greatly, during the 4 school years DD was there.  I am not Catholic. My wife is or was Catholic.  There were a number of things, over the 4 years, that have us wondering about the morals of the administrators of that Catholic school...   The morals of the secular brick and mortar school administrators and the parents of the students there (the U.S. flag flies there and it is $$$$$ ) were FAR FAR FAR superior to the morals of that Catholic school.

DD was discriminated against, because we were unable to donate $ to the school.  She was discriminated against because she told them she was going to have her First Communion out of town, not with the school.  She was not given a partial scholarship for academic achievement or awards for achievement, because of things like that.

If when she is older DD chooses to actively participate in a religion, based on her 4 school years in that Catholic school, I believe you can bet she will not be in the Catholic church.

You should talk this over with your children and with the administrative staff in the school.  If your children were Catholic, it would be easier on them, but I am not, in any way, suggesting they become Catholics just to fit in better in a Catholic school.

Much good luck to your kids in their new school!

That's not true. A Catholic who isn't "comfortable" turning to the Blessed Mother, or saying the rosary, needs to speak to his priest. It is, indeed, an issue for a Catholic who desires to be in full communion with The Church. 

If the children attend a traditional Catholic school, they will have to do things their way, no matter their comfort level, so telling the OP to not let the children "feel pressured" isn't helpful - the children will be required to take the religion classes, recite the rosary, participate in prayers and the Mass; while Catholic schools are unique in that they do not require students BE Catholic, the children are required to participate fully in the catholic faith as it is represented at the school - at least around here they are.

I think it is pretty unlikely that they will require all children to vocally pray all the prayers, rather than simply remain silent if they feel they ought to.  And they won't want them to take communion during the mass.  Even thos most "Catholic" schools I have seen would not ask that of students - any more than adults at a mass would be required to do those things.

And it is not uncommon for converts to Catholicism to feel uncomfortable about praying to saints or Mary - it really isn't a requirement that people do so, outside of the mass. 

OP, the other thing you may want to talk about with your children...

If you're protestant, it's common (from what I understand) to take communion no matter your age, and no matter the church? I think this may vary. However, in the Catholic faith, and in a Catholic church, only Catholics (in communion with the church; i.e. one that has been to confession, etc), and who have received first holy communion, and gone through their first reconciliation/confession, should take communion, and non-Catholics should NOT take communion.

I think most Protestant grous that have a communion service have in the past typically had an age at which children begin to participate, with a confirmation or something similar to it.  In some cases they are typically older than Catholic kids usually are at first communion.

I think that some groups have loosened that up in recent years, for a variety of different reasons.  Some for example Anglicans now seem to follow the Orthodox approach and communicate even infants.

I'd certainly speak with the staff to determine what their expectations will be for your child.  I'm sure there are plenty of non-Catholics there.

I have the movie St. Vincent playing through my head right now.  This scene:

Brother Geraghty: This is Oliver. You can lead us all in morning prayer.

Oliver: I think I'm Jewish.
Brother Geraghty: Good to know. 
We celebrate all the religions of the world in this room, Oliver. I'm a Catholic, which is the best of all the religions, really, because we have the most rules. And the best clothes. But among us, there is also a Buddhist, agnostic, we have a Baptist, and we have an "I don't know", which seems to be the fastest growing religion in the world.

• Like 2

My kids attend a Catholic school that sounds very much like the one described.  We're Episcopalian.  It's a little different because they've participated in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd religious ed program at a local parish since they were three, so they are fairly Catholic in their theologies.  Despite having been warned, my oldest sobbed through the first mass because of not being able to partake in Communion.  Her teachers were great and told her she could get a blessing, to which she said, "Blessings are nice, but what's the point, when Jesus is right there and I can't be with Him?"

• Like 1

As a former Presbyterian now Catholic I would echo the suggestion to attend Mass before hand especially if it is a regular occurrence at the school. There are books called missals which have the order of the Mass so it is easier to follow along. Another posible help would be a children's guide to Mass because they often have indicators for when to sit, stand, and kneel. This was the strangest part of Mass to me in the beginning.