Menu

New Killgallon - Nonfiction for High School

Totally off topic, but the other book you recommended just came yesterday!!!  (you are evil to my bank account).  It looks awesome - Engaging Ideas.

Ruth in NZ

Oh, cool! I loved that book. It totally transformed how I approached writing across the curriculum this year (for the better!  ;) )

I forget if you were the one who told me about Writing With a Thesis?  I give you credit inside my head, anyway.  That book is also rocking our world.

I forget if you were the one who told me about Writing With a Thesis?  I give you credit inside my head, anyway.  That book is also rocking our world.

No, you told me!  That is the next book I am buying based on your recommendation!  Like I said, you are expensive....

• Like 1

What "other" book.  It is dangerous, but I must know :drool5:

It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Engaging-Ideas-Professors-Integrating-Classroom/dp/0470532904

It's focused on how to teach writing across the curriculum in a meaningful way.  It is written for university professors, but I found much of relevance to teaching writing at the middle/high school level as well.

• Like 2

It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Engaging-Ideas-Professors-Integrating-Classroom/dp/0470532904

It's focused on how to teach writing across the curriculum in a meaningful way.  It is written for university professors, but I found much of relevance to teaching writing at the middle/high school level as well.

Wow, look at the awesome reviews.  Man, I'm gonna be broke.  There is nothing like a few new books to cure the March blues though, right?

• Like 1

Totally off topic, but the other book you recommended just came yesterday!!!  (you are evil to my bank account).  It looks awesome - Engaging Ideas.

Ruth in NZ

I just got this one too.  It looks great!  Thank you for recommending it!

• Like 1

Clear Creek!  You are my hero!!!!    :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

:party:

Ruth's my hero too, but I'll quit giving her credit for Writing With a Thesis!  ;)  :D

Aw, shucks! :blushing:  I stumbled upon it purely by accident. As my husband always says, even a blind monkey finds a banana sometimes!

I found a book that may be a good follow-up for WWaT. I was searching for books with example essays - I wanted to approach essay writing from whole-to-parts as well - and I came upon this little gem. Each chapter begins with instruction for writing a different type of essay, followed by several essays of that type. The essays all have questions for discussion on the author's meaning, purpose and audience, method and structure, language, and several ideas for essay assignments. The questions require the student to really break down each essay, then the writing topics have the student build their own from the different pieces. The essay topics are all rather mature for my daughter so I will not be using this book for a couple more years, but it is on my must-use list for high school writing.

And yes, Ruth is also my hero!

• Like 4

It's this one:

Sigh...yet another book on my Amazon wishlist. I have an entire list devoted to books that teach writing. I have to pace myself as I buy them. :o

• Like 2

Aw, shucks! :blushing:  I stumbled upon it purely by accident. As my husband always says, even a blind monkey finds a banana sometimes!

I found a book that may be a good follow-up for WWaT. I was searching for books with example essays - I wanted to approach essay writing from whole-to-parts as well - and I came upon this little gem. Each chapter begins with instruction for writing a different type of essay, followed by several essays of that type. The essays all have questions for discussion on the author's meaning, purpose and audience, method and structure, language, and several ideas for essay assignments. The questions require the student to really break down each essay, then the writing topics have the student build their own from the different pieces. The essay topics are all rather mature for my daughter so I will not be using this book for a couple more years, but it is on my must-use list for high school writing.

And yes, Ruth is also my hero!

Nice!  Because, of course, I'm thinking about what comes next . . . .

Sigh...yet another book on my Amazon wishlist. I have an entire list devoted to books that teach writing. I have to pace myself as I buy them. :o

I know, right? There's the Amazon wish list, there is the stack of books on the floor by my bed . . . I'm telling myself I need to get through a few of those before I buy any more.  We'll see how long that resolution lasts!

• Like 1

I have suddenly lost the ability to see words on the screen, especially amazon links...and even more especially certain suggestions from Rose. :lol:

Sigh...I want these books so much. Must. Not. Click. Link.

• Like 3

Sigh...I want these books so much. Must. Not. Click. Link.

I just send the links to hubby for him to Link+ the books. Already well known at the Link+ counters so a few more won't hurt.

ETA:

Some libraries allow you to put in request to buy books too :) too many library cards to remember which library allows book purchase requests.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just did it! I compared prices at Heinemann and Amazon and ended up spending $84.00. . . but I saved approximately $30.00 and shipping! :hurray: :hurray:  :hurray: Thank you Abeille! We are set with Killgallon!

Until April 18th, you can buy the Killgallon books (including the newest one) from the publisher for 30% off and free shipping. Use the coupon code NCTM15. Not affiliated or anything, but I stumbled across it this morning when I was looking for the teacher book downloads.

http://www.heinemann.com/products/E05378.aspx

• Like 2