Menu

PE and high school...and a non athletic kid

My rising 9th grade daughter is so very non-athletic.  At least with organized sports and such.  She likes to roller blade some, jump on the tramp some, and she will bike some...but that is about it.

So, my question is that since PE is a HS requirement...yearly, yes? So what do I have her do to complete her PE credits?  I thought about a health class..  She has had very little human anatomy in her elementary sciences, so that might be a way to go...for at least 1 semester.  Anybody have a good curriculum I can use for that?

But what else can she do?  

PE is not a yearly requirement.

Since we are a private school we don't have to follow the rules for anyone. But the school district I lived in only wanted two years of PE. Many people used marching band or sports teams.

My older son is using biking as his PE credit. We go in the morning for about half an hour three days a week. My daughter is running three days a week with my husband. It is enough for me,

• Like 1

Count hours for any physical activity.  

My DD is not sporty, either, but we have done things like bowling, rollerskating, swimming, and even Wii Fit.  

Something else to consider - at my son's school they combine health and PE, so things like CPR or first aid training count towards PE hours.

2 years seems a lot more doable.  But how do I award credit...I mean...how many hours of activity = how many credits? 

I never thought of CPR or first aid...we will be doing that...that is an easy one.

We us Apologia for our science...and I was considering using the elementary level Human Anatomy book for health class.  Any opinions on that??  I know it won't be hard...but since we haven't really done much with that, there will will lots she will learn...and it won't be overwhelming....unless there is something else that might be better.

When I was in high school, my one required credit of PE was a mixture of bowling, softball, trampoline, skipping rope, stretching/yoga, aerobics, gymnastics, roller skating, WALKING the track, and some weight lifting. We also got our CPR and First Aid certificates. 

PE can be just about anything as long as it is 'physical'. Our class was 45 minutes long each day with time at the beginning and end to 'change out', so that left, what, maybe 20-25 minutes each day for the physical part. It isn't hard to come up with that, so don't let it stress you out. :001_smile:

Perhaps some states do require PE, but Florida does not require anything specific for homeschoolers. Neither of my kids had PE on their transcripts.

If I needed to include PE, though,I probably would have had mine track activity through something like the President's Fitness Challenge and award credit whenever they reached whatever milestone made sense for that student.

• Like 1

In my state we have no requirements for HSer's but the state only requires 1 year of PE and they can do it in 8th grade if they want to.  I would check your states laws/regulations to see what is required.

As for a full credit I would think 150 hours would count as a credit (50 minutes for 180 days), that would include dressing out, redressing, and instruction time.  We plan on counting our time at the YMCA as PE.  Health will be a different topic all together.

ETA: we wouldn't count PE except I'm thinking of using an umbrella school and they require PE.

We have a PE requirement here - 2 credits. I divided it up over 4 years and set about a 75 hour minimum per year requirement, which seemed about right for .5 credits. My girls used yoga/strength training/Pilates DVDs a few times a week and walked a few times a week in spring and fall, less in winter and summer - it really added up! One daughter joined a gym when she was a senior as she was getting bored of the videos! My son takes swim lessons and does daily exercises and periodic PT (scoliosis) and adds up to more than the 75 hours per year. I may put the swim lessons on his transcript as an extracurricular if it adds up to a lot of extra hours!

We also have a Health requirement - .5 credits. I've used Total Heath, AOP Heath, and a book from the American School...can't remember the title. It would not be difficult to create a syllabus for Health using real books - Anatomy, Disease, Nutrition, Fitness, First Aid, Drugs/Alcohol/STD/etc. awareness.