Menu

LOVED grammar with Treasured Conversations. Now what?

jkl

My 9 year old just finished the first part of TC (the grammar part) and to my surprise, he really enjoyed taking sentences apart and identifying parts of speech!  I think he thinks of it as a fun puzzle.  I know that the main point of TC is to teach the teacher to teach, but I need something with an answer key because I'm learning this along with ds.  What else is sort of like TC for grammar? Everything I know about seems so...dry or something.  Suggestions?

Listening in because I just got our Treasured Conversations printed this week, and I LOVE the look of the grammar portions!  I can't wait to jump in.

(FWIW, I'm considering using IEW's Fix It after we finish TC.  We also have Writing Skills Book A available here for some review/writing practice.)

• Like 1

I haven't looked at TC, but the taking apart of sentences reminds me of English Grammar Revolution's Get Smart program. The lessons build on each other, and the student writes every word in the sentence on a chart and then diagrams it.

Thanks! This looks really fun!

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I've been looking at grammar revolution but it seems sort of expensive for just grammar.  I liked having ds do copywork with quality sentences and then pulling the sentences apart.  I would love to do this with lit we are reading, but I still need some hand-holding.  ELTL looks closest to what I want.  Maybe??  I don't really need all of those other components, though.  Anyone have other ideas?

I was also thinking JAG. Or, if you're feeling really energetic, you could buy AG for yourself and work though it over a year's time, then just pull sentences from your literature to parse/diagram. You'll be your own 'answer key' because you'll know so much after working through AG on your own!

Oh wait, I see that you have a 1 year old. Never mind. I don't think I could have done that with a tot under foot!

We have enjoyed MCT Practice Island where you have to label parts of speech, then parts of sentences, phrases, and clauses. I also added in diagramming, which we read Rex Barks to learn to do. I then also sometimes I added in writing an imitation sentence, which DS found fun. DS always enjoyed the whole process, also viewing it as a puzzle!

I love the idea of picking out sentences in literature, and tried to do that myself for DS, although I found that many of the sentences included grammatical elements that we had not learned about yet (gerunds, verbals, etc.). Also, I had no answer key. So the first time, I ended up sticking with the MCT sentences, or variations on the MCT sentences. Now that I am starting the process with DD, however, I am much more knowledgeable and can pick out sentences as we read and we use those.

Write From History also suggests that you include grammatical analysis of copywork sentences regularly, and has a whole section on identifying POS.  And the sentences are no cakewalk!  Like in TC, where the sentences are real sentences you might read in a book, not canned sentences designed to be easy to parse.  I have to admit we haven't fully used the grammar aspect of WFH, but it's there and it is fully supported/explained in the TM.

• Like 1

I was also thinking JAG. Or, if you're feeling really energetic, you could buy AG for yourself and work though it over a year's time, then just pull sentences from your literature to parse/diagram. You'll be your own 'answer key' because you'll know so much after working through AG on your own!

Oh wait, I see that you have a 1 year old. Never mind. I don't think I could have done that with a tot under foot!

I really wish I had time to do this!

Write From History also suggests that you include grammatical analysis of copywork sentences regularly, and has a whole section on identifying POS.  And the sentences are no cakewalk!  Like in TC, where the sentences are real sentences you might read in a book, not canned sentences designed to be easy to parse.  I have to admit we haven't fully used the grammar aspect of WFH, but it's there and it is fully supported/explained in the TM.

I just want to warm people that WFH doesn't have an answer key.   (You might not realize that looking at the samples.)

And, as you already mentioned, the sentences are no cake walk!   (Especially for me because I am grammar-challenged!)  So I didn't really find the grammar portion of WFH to be very good.   I tried doing it the first few weeks, but ended up skipping it completely after awhile.    

WFH is a great source for copywork/narration/dictation....but I wouldn't suggest it (personally) for grammar.   It might work for someone who is very confident with their grammar abilities.   I am NOT that person though!!  :)