Menu

Found a stray kitty advice please

emzhengjiu

A sweet kitty showed up where I work.  She's clearly been someone's pet. She comes up to everyone trying to be petted.  We've searched for her owners but nothing.  The center where I work is on the edge of a large city park.  It's possible she was abandoned, but it's also possible she wandered away from her home.  She's not been declawed and appears healthy.  Recently, our area had bad weather with freezing rain, sleet and some snow.  For us here in Texas, it was really cold.  I couldn't bear the thought of the kitty outside, so my girls and I brought her home with us.  The problem is we can't keep her in our apartment.  We already have two cats.  I've tried very hard to find her a home but no takers.  I've called rescue groups, "no kill" shelters and everybody else I can think of.   Do I take her to the local shelter or do I take her back to work.  We were feeding her before the bad weather anyway.  At work, she would have to be an outside cat.  I don't like either option, but I don't know what else to do.  Advice, suggestions please.

Have you taken her in to check for a chip? Perhaps you can put up a found ad on petfinder or some posters in the closest neighborhood?

If not chipped, I'd get her fixed (if not already) and released back into the area. She'll find her way home if she does belong to someone.

• Like 4

Don't ask me!  I have seven cats and most of them were poor little strays that needed someone to care for them for just a little while (like 15 years).

I know what you mean!  Both our cats were strays.  The oldest was from a feral litter; our second was abandoned.  If I lived in a house, we would keep her.  Unfortunately, our apartment management is very strict with high pet deposits and "pet" rent. I understand the reason for pet deposits, but honestly pet rent is just a guise for making more money.

Have you taken her in to check for a chip? Perhaps you can put up a found ad on petfinder or some posters in the closest neighborhood?

If not chipped, I'd get her fixed (if not already) and released back into the area. She'll find her way home if she does belong to someone.

Yes, she was checked and doesn't have a chip. The place was very busy and didn't check to see if she was fixed.   We've already put an ad on petfinder and have been talking to some of the nearer residents.  I'm not sure how to handle posters.  I don't want to put my phone number and I've been told we cannot put our work number on posters.  Maybe I could direct interested people to the center instead.  I'll talk to my boss.  The area around where I work is not the safest.  It's mixed zoning, residential and commercial area.

I'd take a photo to all the local vets you can find. Include the general area where the kitty was found, just say the nearest cross streets if you don't want to say the name of your workplace. If you don't want to give your number to the vet then give them a definite day you will stop by again.

Someone at the vet might recognize the cat or have an email list by which they can get the word out.

• Like 1

We had a cat go missing for several months, during which someone else had adopted it.  When they left for Florida for the winter, they brought her into the vet.

If this cat has clearly been someone's pet, I would take it back to work and release it (and quit feeding it).  Hopefully, it will go home.

What if it's been abandoned?  Is it right to stop feeding an animal that's not used to living outside?  I'm trying very hard to do what will be the best for the kitty.

• Like 2

What if it's been abandoned?  Is it right to stop feeding an animal that's not used to living outside?  I'm trying very hard to do what will be the best for the kitty.

It is not right to leave abandoned cats outside & no, it is not right to stop feeding it. It's obviously not feral.

In my area we have no kill shelters. Cats are checked for tattoos or microchips & they attempt to reunite the cat with owners, in case kitty is just lost. If no owner is found, the cats are spayed/neutered, vet checked, vaccinated & put up for adoption.

In fact I'm setting up a live trap tomorrow as I've had a little tortie visiting my yard but it's too skittish to come to me. A couple blocks from me are some apartment buildings & people dump the cats when on moving day at the beginning of the month :(

Absolutely positively do not let any cat go outside without confirming that it's been spayed or neutered. There are too many cats in the world already & it's cruel to contribute to the feral cat overpopulation.  The fact that it's hard to adopt out cats should make people realize the urgency of dealing with cat over population....

• Like 2

We had a cat go missing for several months, during which someone else had adopted it. When they left for Florida for the winter, they brought her into the vet.

If this cat has clearly been someone's pet, I would take it back to work and release it (and quit feeding it). Hopefully, it will go home.

Better to search for the owner as it may come to any kind of harm, may become pregnant etc if abandoned. She may have been abandoned in the first place.

• Like 1