Menu

Supplementing the Dave Ramsey Foundations of Personal Finance high school course

I'm leaning towards using this. Is there any resource that would supplement this course? I want to be able to count this as half a credit for personal finance first semester senior year. (The other half credit taken second semester would be economics.)

I want something that would speak to a graduating senior headed to college- something relevant, practical, and interesting.

I think I'm simply looking for a clearly written book. It doesn't have to be written from a Christian point of view, but it is absolutely fine if it is.

https://www.aophomeschooling.com/lifepac/electives/consumer-math/el2303#productResources

https://www.aophomeschooling.com/el2304

It has been ages since I used these and I used them when my older kids were in middle school, not high school.  But from what I remember they were good intros to "adulthood" basics--insurance, taxes, real estate, etc.  (I only used those 2 books out of the 10.)

Would you like a textbook as a supplement?  We used this one: http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Finance-Student-McGraw-Hill-Education/dp/0078698006/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425840064&sr=8-1&keywords=glencoe+personal+finance  A used copy is cheap, and the writing is clear. There's a website with extra resources, including online flashcards and quizzes.  http://glencoe.mheducation.com/sites/0078698006/student_view0/index.html

Thanks so much, ladies!

I love the AOP books- exactly what I am asking for.

Klmama, I'm not looking for a text book because the Ramsey course would be my spine. I'm hoping to find resources that will put "flesh" on the "bones" of that curriculum.

I think I'll have dd read the Penny Candy book, but I'd like some others to choose from that will help her integrate the principles of personal finance into her everyday life.

My teen got a lot out of Life Prep for Homeschooled Teenagers.  We supplemented LOF Financial Choices with it (used secular text for charter approval.)  These projects were more meaningful for him than the text, even if he didn't really complete them to the degree I was hoping for...its still the part that will stay with him.  Its projects like calculating the cost of a week of groceries, researching housing prices in your area, examining the family budget, etc.

Elizabeth, whatever I might add would be cheap!😂

DR is expensive. Since i'll be able to get it through the Co-op, the price is better. Many here have used it as part of their economics credit and not so much as a stand-alone credit. I really think it could stand alone especially if the student was balancing a checkbook and budgeting money from a part time job.

Just a clearly written book or the two AOP workbooks would be a good supplement...something to bridge DR's material to personal application.

Maybe this is not necessary, but I'm thinking this extra bit would give the course a little more credibility.

• Like 1

Was the DR content good?  Is it sorta young or obvious, or is it really thought-provoking?  I just feel like there are so many things that seem obvious when you're at home that aren't necessarily thought out or intentional.  I thought it might have value for that.  But I didn't want to pay so much and have it turn out to be lite/young.  :(

The HSBC or your local co-op?

Elizabeth, I haven't bought the course yet.  I looked at the workbook online, and I listened to some of his material on YouTube.  As for it's depth, I think it depends.  Several on WTM mentioned that they have lived out personal finances in front of their kids.  The DR material would not be new at all in this case.  For other kids without this kind of long-term modeling, the DR course is probably quite meaty.  

The course is on sale at HomeSchool Buyer's Co-op for March.

• Like 1

Crown Financial has a high school course. The adult and college level courses are very similar to DR, but I've never looked at the high school level. It's a fraction of the cost of DR. If you're planning to add to it anyway, you may want to check it out. The two levels I've looked at have been very good. It's similar to DR, but not so "in your face". It teaches the same concepts but using a different tone.

• Like 1

I got something from Crown when they were at the convention a couple years ago, but it was a workbook.  My dd hates workbooks.   :(  I'm thinking the DR stuff will go over much better.

How does the DR course work?  I really want my dds who will be seniors next year to have some kind of really good Personal Finance type class before they head out to the "real world".  I also want something engaging enough that it will actually get done...

How does the DR course work?  I really want my dds who will be seniors next year to have some kind of really good Personal Finance type class before they head out to the "real world".  I also want something engaging enough that it will actually get done...

The DR course has a videos to watch with workbook fill-ins to go along with it. Then there are worksheets. I really think the meat is in the worksheets. The teaching on the videos is good. If you've listened to or seen Dave, you know what it is like. It is very much like Financial Peace for adults. My only complaint was in that some of the info could have been tailored to a high school student more. For example there is a section on getting out of debt and the debt snowball... this is big in his adult plan, but how many high school students are in debt? 

If you do a lot of the worksheets, you don't need any other supplementing to have a full .5 credit. He has students do things like shop for an apartment, setup a budget, compare investments. Some of the worksheets are busywork, decide for yourself which ones are valuable for your student, but there is a lot of good stuff there. They are also the only place that the kids actually use any math in the course.

Oh, investments are my one other complaint. His numbers on ROI are crazy high. 10 years ago, they didn't sound so outrageous, now they do. We talked about that some and changed the numbers in some of the activities.

• Like 1

Many here have used it as part of their economics credit and not so much as a stand-alone credit.

Just wanted to clarify/agree that whether or not it's suitable for a personal finance credit is a different question than whether it's suitable for an economics credit. 

It would cover more of the usual scope of a personal finance course (with some actual practice) but not a lot of the usual scope of an economics course, even if you were just covering micro econ. Although of course, it's your school :)

Julie

• Like 1

I need to look at them and compare what's covered.  The tone of the college one seemed more like it would fit her, and if the college one goes farther, that might as well be the one she watches.  I was just thinking if you felt like it needed a supplementing, bumping up the level would be another way to get there.  I haven't seen the high school series, but if the tone is "don't spend money on designer jeans, save for college" and the tone of college is "here's what you need to know to figure out your life," I think what we need is the latter, kwim?

The DR course has a videos to watch with workbook fill-ins to go along with it. Then there are worksheets. I really think the meat is in the worksheets. The teaching on the videos is good. If you've listened to or seen Dave, you know what it is like. It is very much like Financial Peace for adults. My only complaint was in that some of the info could have been tailored to a high school student more. For example there is a section on getting out of debt and the debt snowball... this is big in his adult plan, but how many high school students are in debt? 

If you do a lot of the worksheets, you don't need any other supplementing to have a full .5 credit. He has students do things like shop for an apartment, setup a budget, compare investments. Some of the worksheets are busywork, decide for yourself which ones are valuable for your student, but there is a lot of good stuff there. They are also the only place that the kids actually use any math in the course.

Oh, investments are my one other complaint. His numbers on ROI are crazy high. 10 years ago, they didn't sound so outrageous, now they do. We talked about that some and changed the numbers in some of the activities.

Yes, to the part in bold above. Dave basically reworked his standard dog and pony show (and I like Dave) a little bit, and charges a not small amount for it. This irked me. If I had followed Dave's own advice, I would have bypassed his program and used the free program put out by the National Endowment for Financial Education.  Get a student and teacher account and check out the modules against the DR table of contents. If you still want to do DR, then you can supplement with this.