Menu

If your DC Graduated HS with an AA too (or thereabouts)

If your DC Graduated HS with an AA too (or thereabouts), what did their transcript look like? (Or if your DC graduated really early). I'm thinking in this direction for DS1 but since he's my first HSer, I need a little guidance.

We did c.c. instead of high school, which was possible in California but maybe not where you are (and which may be different today than it was then, and even different depending on the location in California).  And I've never had to produce high school transcripts for either of my daughters, as a c.c. transcript supersedes a high school diploma; if I had to do a high school diploma, however, I would do it by subject and not by year, and I would indicate which credits were "transferred, high school level or above." I would give each semester-long c.c. class 10 credits, which is what California schools give for each class.

• Like 1

We did c.c. instead of high school, which was possible in California but maybe not where you are (and which may be different today than it was then, and even different depending on the location in California). And I've never had to produce high school transcripts for either of my daughters, as a c.c. transcript supersedes a high school diploma; if I had to do a high school diploma, however, I would do it by subject and not by year, and I would indicate which credits were "transferred, high school level or above." I would give each semester-long c.c. class 10 credits, which is what California schools give for each class.

You don't have to show a HS transcript to get into community college?

No, you don't have to show a HS transcript. You have to take an entrance exam, a sort of placement exam. You have to be the right age, and pay. That's about it.

From our local community college's website:

Q: Who can participate? 
A: Students must be high school juniors or seniors or the homeschooled equivalent. You must have the support of your parents, principal and high school counselor who verify that you are ready for college-level work. You must also obtain a qualifying score on the college English placement test or have a score of 550 or higher on the Critical Reading section of the SAT.

There are two types of dual enrollment students: 

• DUAL CREDIT STUDENTS are high school students enrolled in college credit classes who receive both college credit and credit toward their high school graduation requirements. Classes may be taken on a college campus or at their high school if the course is offered there.
  • CONCURRENTLY ENROLLED STUDENTS are high school or home schooled students enrolled in college credit classes. However, these students only receive college credit for the classes and must take the classes on a NOVA campus.

Not in California. 

We didn't have to in Washington either.  Just the placement test (Accuplacer) and proof of age (16).  If he had been younger than 16, he would have had to interview with some admissions person to get approval.

There are very, very few places that require a high school transcript anymore unless that is all the student can provide. They exist, but it is pretty rare that most kids do not have some form of college under their belt. Those credits trump the high school ones. So people just sort of skim through the high school on the way to looking over the college transcript.

• Like 1

If your DC Graduated HS with an AA too (or thereabouts), what did their transcript look like? (Or if your DC graduated really early). I'm thinking in this direction for DS1 but since he's my first HSer, I need a little guidance.

This might be my kid. We just haven't decided at this point whether to pursue the AA, or graduate early although he could if he wanted to. Although the transcript might not be needed in his case if he transfers to the state uni, I'm still preparing one should he decide to not pursue the actual AA (although he would have fulfilled the required major units) and instead use the courses for high school and potential college credit and apply as a freshman once he is ready. He doesn't know yet for sure what he wants to do. He only knows that he wants to take those courses that would also give him the AA.

If you need details please PM me and I can give you a breakdown of what's going into his transcript.

In order to avoid confusion and prevent a transcript that looks too padded we are putting only college level classes on my dd's high school transcript. She took a bunch of high school level classes before 9th grade and a few during her high school years as well. But, she started dual enrollment in 9th grade and has enough college credits to cover all of her high school classes, so we just dropped everything else. Since her high school transcript matches her college transcript anyway, I listed her high school transcript by subject rather than year so that it is easier to read.

• Like 1

My son went to community college in NYS and didn't need a transcript, although he did have to take a placement test.  He did the 24 hour credit program in what would have been 11th grade (earned 24 college credits and his GED).  He stayed another year full time, then transferred to SUNY Albany as a junior.  SUNY Albany only requested his community college transcript.  

Amy

Our community college doesn't have an age limit (except for the fitness center), a high school transcript isn't required, and placement tests are only necessary if the student plans to take a math or literature class.  Both my 10 year old and 12 year old are taking for-credit courses (art for DD and computers for DS) at the community college.

There is a dual enrollment program for high school students but, of course, DD and DS are too young to qualify.

Our community college doesn't have an age limit (except for the fitness center), a high school transcript isn't required, and placement tests are only necessary if the student plans to take a math or literature class. Both my 10 year old and 12 year old are taking for-credit courses (art for DD and computers for DS) at the community college.

There is a dual enrollment program for high school students but, of course, DD and DS are too young to qualify.

Wow! Where do you live?