Menu

If your state requires testing...

How do you deal? This is our first year to have to do testing. It's the math & reading portions of the Iowa.

I have requested modifications but she is so behind in math that I know she is going to be so upset trying to do the work. And then the reading section is nothing like what we do for reading. I know most neuro typical kids could generalize and do fine on this type of testing but I don't think she can. Sigh.

Can you do something individualized and oral, like the PIAT or WIAT? It will cost more, but it usually gives better information and is less stressful, with a good test administrator, than a group test.

One of the modifications I requeated is individual testing & I already have a good administrator lined up. I could request to test with an outside agency & use a different test but the Iowa is free. And given that we just had neuropsych testing done 2 months ago I don't really need the info. I am only doing it to be in compliance with state law.

The Iowa is going to take a lot of time.  If you have another option like a one day Woodcock Johnson or a portfolio review, you might take it.  

I don't know what I'm going to do with my ds next year.  We have the portfolio review option in our state, so I'll probably do that.

You need to know the rules of your own specific state.

In my state there are special rules for students who have an IEP--and the specifics depend then on whether it is an IEP via the public school or a private IEP.  And the modifications can range from not testing at all to testing differently/testing with modifications or accommodations.

Some people in my state just let their child take the regular test in the regular way, and then depending on the results go from there. I gather that here even if a 0%ile was gotten first time the child tests, what happens is the child is required to test the following year, instead of the usual testing years (here 3rd, 5th, 8th, ....). So some people let their child take the test, if the score is passing by state standards fine, if not, they cross that bridge when they come to it.

I decided to get the IEP via public school, which meant that first time around my ds tested with the local public school, which has tests that have no time limits for everyone, which was pretty much the only accommodation he needed.

I think other states have very different rules.

DS used to take the SAT-10 with accommodation, which is extra time. For math, calculator is normally allowed for one portion of the math, and he worked alone with a proctor. If he had requested it, the test could be read aloud to him, but he never requested that. I have never made a big deal about testing, and DS was no-hum about it.

The IOWA is LOOOOOONNNNGGGGG even for kids wired correctly. My state requires some type of evidence of progress.  I do the SETON testing.  I sit with each child and for those who are dyslexic I read through each question and answer options - monotone so I don't show preference to an answer.  Said child fills in bubble.  I don't set a timer.  We just work through each section over a few days.  If they were to have accomodations written up fancy by the school it would state - extra time, reader help, notetaker, etc. I don't have any more money for fancy paper (I've got two in college!)  Yeah, I know norms, blah blah, but the bottomline is the state just wants you to show proof of progress.  The state is not going to help the struggling child get the services they need. There is an option to have a portfolio done but it costs way more and a year or so ago the state was giving people a run around on what was acceptable in presenting progress.  I know very well where the weaknesses are, what the strengths are, what is mastered or not.  I don't need a test to tell me and the state could care less.  They just need to check the box that I'm actually teaching kids at home.  Now, mind you, I was concerned because we were using MUS and they didn't cover fractions or decimals at the grade level my ds was testing that year but he did just fine - a got 2 or 3 wrong and we moved on.  I just refuse to teach to the test - save that for the experts. 

• Like 2

I've used the VB-MAPP before. The ABLLS is another choice. These are ABA assessments and they're not too bad to give as a parent (you would need some understanding of ABA terminology) and you can get them both on Amazon. My state had no problem with this. I've also used it as my "curriculum" before.

I agree the IOWA is long.  My kids had to take it every year when they were still in school.  And every year the scores got worse.  DD went from 98% across the board in 1st grade (with material being read to her) to way below average in everything by 4th grade.  If she had been given a ton of extra time (she had not been assessed yet, so no accommodations) and someone had helped her with where to bubble everything in (she confused a couple places and bubbled in the wrong areas) those scores might not have dropped so badly.  At the same time, extending the test would have worn her out even more.  It really is a pretty long test.

• Like 1

Homeschoolers only have to take math & reading subtexts. I administered it last year to a group of students in my area & from start to finish (with breaks) it took 3 1/2 hrs I think. I thought that was reasonable for standardized test.

There are no consequences for a bad score. I just hate to put her through it. And I know when I get the results I will be upset. I think that was more of what I was wondering-if your child has to endure this type of useless testing how do you manage it emotionally?

• Like 1

When the kids HAD to take those tests in school, I loved how the school handled it.  They told the parents and teachers not to make it a big deal, for one thing, so the kids wouldn't stress.  Then they had the whole week be fun stuff when the kids weren't testing.  They would take the tests in the morning, parents would bring in special snacks/food for the afternoon, and the kids would play educational games, etc.  They got to do things and eat things they didn't normally get to.  It was actually a festive atmosphere for the week of testing.

Maybe you could do something similar?