Menu

I need graphing calculator help.

One of my dc is using TT Pre-Calc and the book indicates that the student should have a TI-83 Plus.

Is the TI-83 Plus a good calculator, or is it likely that future math classes will require something different?  This student will probably DE for either pre-calc or some other math at CC after finishing the TT book (I'm not sure how "complete" TT pre-calc is.. ).  Anyway, I don't want to have to buy another calculator for the next math class so if the TI-83 Plus is not the "standard" -- what model is most common? 

Also, do the different models of TI operate similarly?  The TT book says "press this key, this key this key..." and I see how it could be confusing to have a calculator that has a whole different series of steps to get the desired result.

Help!

• Like 1

We bought my daughter the TI-84 plus - she is now in college algebra & it will take her through all of college.  She said it is much easier to use, it comes with a charging cord, so no need for batteries.  Her college instructor recommended this calculator.  

• Like 2

83 and 84 are both very standard. If the book includes explicit calculator instruction I'd buy a cheap used 83+ off Ebay so the instructions will match the calculator and cross the bridge of requiring a different calculator when you come to it. 

• Like 1

Our local high school uses the TI-30XS multiview for most classes. It's a basic scientific calculator, but adds saving/editing calculation history, "math print" views, basic stats, and a number of extra features for its type. However, it does not graph.

If you are balking at the price of the TI-8X series, check and see if has enough features for you.

TI has a product comparison chart here http://education.ti.com/en/us/products#lightbox=calculator-comparison-chart

If you live in ACT country, watch out -- they are pickier about allowed calculators.

• Like 1

Our local high school uses the TI-30XS multiview for most classes. It's a basic scientific calculator, but adds saving/editing calculation history, "math print" views, basic stats, and a number of extra features for its type. However, it does not graph.

If you are balking at the price of the TI-8X series, check and see if has enough features for you.

TI has a product comparison chart here http://education.ti.com/en/us/products#lightbox=calculator-comparison-chart

If you live in ACT country, watch out -- they are pickier about allowed calculators.

We have the TI-30X IIS which seems to be somewhat similar (minus the math print) but it doesn't graph :(

I'm not balking at buying one TI-8X -- I just don't want to buy one now and then have to buy a different one next year.

• Like 1

We use free online graphing calculator desmos.com For TT Alg 2 and other pre calc course. Have STEM Freshman, still no need to buy the expensive calc; desmos has worked well and no fear of loosing calc... Which I am positive would happen if we bought a calculator.

I haven't heard of this before and will look into it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

83 and 84 are both very standard. If the book includes explicit calculator instruction I'd buy a cheap used 83+ off Ebay so the instructions will match the calculator and cross the bridge of requiring a different calculator when you come to it. 

Good idea, thanks!

• Like 1

The listing for the TTUISD Algebra 1 course shows the TI-84 Plus graphing calculator is required and I believe that is the standard these days. However, there is another model, $15 or $20 more, which seems to me to be worth the additional money and I believe we will purchase a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition calculator for DD.

• Like 3

The listing for the TTUISD Algebra 1 course shows the TI-84 Plus graphing calculator is required and I believe that is the standard these days. However, there is another model, $15 or $20 more, which seems to me to be worth the additional money and I believe we will purchase a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition calculator for DD.

What additional features does the TI-84 Plus C Silver have?  As you can tell, I am still shopping...

We actually have the 84+ C silver too. I read the graphs were easier to read when you could add color. I don't know how true it is, but ds likes graphing in color lol. Buying on Ebay, the cost difference wasn't that much. I was concerned about the battery life with the rechargeable battery, but ds doesn't even charge it once a month when using it daily. Love that. An overnight charge before a big test gives complete confidence without having to carry batteries.

My daughter has both a TI 83 and 84.  She uses the 83 because it seems easier to her.  However she doesn't graph on it.  She does all graphing and integrating and such online, usually at places like Wolfram Alpha.  It's much easier and quicker.

Four years ago, the freshman calc classes required the TI 83 at this college.  Now they don't require anything because of the online resources.  A student could easily get by with a cheap scientific calculator.

We happen to have the calculators because we got the 84 for my older daughter to take the AP test (where it was required).  My husband found the 83 -- left behind in his classroom.  He never could find who it belonged to.  Actually, it's the 2nd one he found and couldn't find the owner.

And if your student is working at home, they could get by with an online scientific calculator. 

At this point, given how things are changing, I'm not sure I'd buy a graphing calculator until a course actually required it.  The TT course, if the work is being done at home, wouldn't be enough requirement for me to spend the money.  I'd just have the student use the online resources.

But if the plan is to take the AP test, then the student may need to learn how to use the graphing calculator for the test.

I would just stick with a scientific calculator for now. A lot of universities specifically forbid graphing calculators in math classes.  I know that UT Dallas does not allow graphing calculators for tests or quizzes, although students are allowed to use them for homework.

TI-83 or TI-84 are pretty standard. Most schools in my area use them for high school. When I did observations in my school district and when I did my field experience in a neighboring district, every high school classroom had a set of TI-83 or TI-84 for the students to use.

The school I am teaching in now uses Casio graphing calculators instead which I prefer over TI. Our textbooks give instructions specifically for the Casio graphing calculators.

My kids just used scientific calculators and never needed a graphing calculator.

• 2 weeks later...

The TI-83 and TI-84 series are pretty standard, even in most college math classes. I own both the TI-84 Silver and TI-89 Platinum, and I can count on one finger the number of college math courses that  let me use the TI-89 (my linear algebra instructor didn't care, although in my case that might have been because he knew I was taking the class as a refresher). I prefer the TI-89 because I think it's easier to use and it allows me to check my work for very advanced math much easier than the TI-84, but the TI-83/84 is the standard. I will be gifting the TI-84 to my DS once we start trigonometry and I expect it will go to college with him eventually.

My DS has used the TI-84 Silver for a few years, including with material giving instructions specifically for the TI-83, and he's never had a problem; he would have mentioned something if he did.  It rarely needs batteries and has survived a number of drops without problem.  We didn't get the TI-89 because you can't use it on some tests.