Menu

Teaching DD10 to bake/cook... need recommendations

lovinmomma

I've been having DD10 choose, plan, shop for, and make one recipe per week as part of her homeschool day. I then help her compile a binder with all of her recipes. I need recommendations for hot pads/oven mits for children. Typical oven mitts are too big. I was thinking maybe something silicone? What does your family like?

For Christmas I found some oven gloves to give to a friend as a present.  She was moving away, so I'm not sure how they worked out for her, other than what she told me over the phone.  Some brands come in varying sizes, so you could try looking into those.  These are not quilted mitts with thumbs, they are actual gloves designed to be used with hot things.  You could also try looking for small turkey-frying gloves or grilling gloves.

One thing I DID pick up for my kids to use here when I start them on baking is baking sleeves.  These are thick terry-cloth sleeves with elastic at both ends that you put on (with the cuff inside your oven mitt or glove) to protect your arms from burning on the edge of the oven or the oven racks.  I came close to burning myself this past Thanksgiving, and I don't want the kids to deal with that pain. 

I got the sleeves and oven gloves from a restaurant supply store online, and the sleeves, at least, weren't very expensive.