Menu

I need help choosing a science curriculum

I want to buy 1 program for both kids. Is it possible? I have one who has zero Interest in science. One who wants to major in science. I'm looking at DIVE right now, with BJU for my science kid and just following the digital text for my non science kid.

Or should I just go completely different? I know I must go high for my science child, but I don't want to drag my other one along and have bad grades on her transcript. She's using HOD, but I'm not sure I like their science options for high school.

I am so confused. I want them to both have a good experience. I need to prepare DS for a science feild post secondary. I don't want to shell out $400 for each of them each year for science. I have 4 younger ones too, so, reusable is important too.

I would not use the same program for a child with no interest in science and one that is planing to major in science. It will leave either one student overwhlemed or the other not sufficiently challenged.

I do not see why this would have to cost $400. Buy the science minded student an old edition of an introductory college text for non majors for $10 and have him self study, supplementing with the wealth of free online resources.

If you plan to purchase an expensive lab kit for chemistry, that could easily do double duty for both.

I would not use the same program for a child with no interest in science and one that is planing to major in science. It will leave either one student overwhlemed or the other not sufficiently challenged.

I do not see why this would have to cost $400. Buy the science minded student an old edition of an introductory college text for non majors for $10 and have him self study, supplementing with the wealth of free online resources.

If you plan to purchase an expensive lab kit for chemistry, that could easily do double duty for both.

I'm thinking ahead.  I like this idea, but I don't know how to check progress.  Especially given I haven't taken a science course in quite some time.  I'd like some way to make sure my kid is doing the work.

I'd potentially get a copy of the textbook for myself as well and read it, but I'd still like to come up with a way to hold my kid accountable and/or make sure he is understanding the material.  KWIM?

I'm thinking ahead.  I like this idea, but I don't know how to check progress.  Especially given I haven't taken a science course in quite some time.  I'd like some way to make sure my kid is doing the work.

I'd potentially get a copy of the textbook for myself as well and read it, but I'd still like to come up with a way to hold my kid accountable and/or make sure he is understanding the material.  KWIM?

DS is taking notes from the reading - I could check those if I wanted. And then, you need to assign practice problems for the student to work and can check those. there are plenty to pick from at the end of the chapter. For chem, I have the student workbook/solution manual that has worked out solutions for all even numbered problems (old edition, used cheap). Or you can find solutions online. Dr. Tang's website for example has answers (not worked out solutions) to all assigned problems from Chang.

Or you buy access to a cheating website like Chegg and check the answers this way.

And you can give exams. A great and easy shortcut is to get a different textbook (cheap old edition) and put the worked out examples form that text as your test problems - instant detailed solution key :-)

• Like 7

And you can give exams. A great and easy shortcut is to get a different textbook (cheap old edition) and put the worked out examples form that text as your test problems - instant detailed solution key :-)

(shhh but I sometimes pick problems for calculus exams this way :D)

• Like 4

I still have all of my old university chem texts.  Great resources for an almost endless supply of different problems for assignments and tests. :)

I'm leaning towards BJU for my STEM kid.

I'd costs so much because of exchange rate, 20% right now and shipping to Canada:( I'm not really comfortable without using a science meant to homeschool Highschool.

Ships bookdepository free to canada?

I buy there the studentbooks, and once in a while I order the Teacher materials at CBD.com

BJU books are also good available secondhanded at Alibris.com

I bought this way their math texts Cheap.

Ships bookdepository free to canada?

I buy there the studentbooks, and once in a while I order the Teacher materials at CBD.com

BJU books are also good available secondhanded at Alibris.com

I bought this way their math texts Cheap.

Thanks, i'll check those out.

cheating websites...I need to look into this..LOL

Is there ever any fat chance in hell to get a TM for any of these books? 

Regentrude, could you please list the books you recommend?  I know I've asked you this already (sorry).  I'm am at the point where I will need these soon. 

We used:

Knight, Jones Field College Physics for 9th grade algebra based physics

Chang General Chemistry: The essential concepts for 10th grade chem

Campbell and Reece, Biology: Concepts and Connections for DD' 8th grade bio

Alternatives:

Giancoli is another good algebra based physics text. There are many others, and they are virtually indistinguishable in coverage and presentation.

Campbell Exploring Life is a notch below C&C and a nice high school level text.

For Earth science, I like Tarbuck.

For astronomy, I like Chaisson.

I have not found Teacher Manuals useful. I had one for physics (since I am an instructor), and it was basically a fat book on how to teach those things in a classroom, what demonstrations to do, how to guide students, pedagogical issues. What you would want is not the TM but the Solutions Manual.

There are student solution manuals available for many textbooks; they would have half of the problems. That is entirely sufficient, you can simply assign a selection of those problems. Chem and phys texts have a large number of end of chapter problems to allow instructors to vary assignments; they are not intended to be assigned in their entirety, that would be nuts.

• Like 8

We used:

Alternatives:

Giancoli is another good algebra based physics text. There are many others, and they are virtually indistinguishable in coverage and presentation.

I have not found Teacher Manuals useful. I had one for physics (since I am an instructor), and it was basically a fat book on how to teach those things in a classroom, what demonstrations to do, how to guide students, pedagogical issues. What you would want is not the TM but the Solutions Manual.

There are student solution manuals available for many textbooks; they would have half of the problems. That is entirely sufficient, you can simply assign a selection of those problems. Chem and phys texts have a large number of end of chapter problems to allow instructors to vary assignments; they are not intended to be assigned in their entirety, that would be nuts.

Printing this out.  Thank you! 

We used:

Alternatives:

Which edition on Chaisson do you recommend? Is it necessary to get the most recent since the information about astronomy is changing so quickly?

Which edition on Chaisson do you recommend? Is it necessary to get the most recent since the information about astronomy is changing so quickly?

I am not an astronomer, so not an expert in the field, but most of the information in a basic astronomy text does not really change very much. Basics, solar system, stellar evolution - not much change there. Mostly I would expect changes in cosmology.

I would have no issue using a cheap old edition  and then maybe supplementing with current info on cosmology from the internet.

• Like 1

DIVE is solid and there is no reason not to use it with a science minded kid if you want something that leads you through more. My science minded kid, doesn't learn at all well if you just hand her a textbook. Actually, she'd learn next to nothing. She has thrived with DIVE though. It doesn't cost anything like $400 though. The CD is $50 and the BJU book to go with it is easy to get used inexpensively. The majority of our science cost each year has been lab supplies and most of those (except a few consumables) are reused between kids, even if they don't use the same science program. For example, my kids did different Chemistry programs/labs, but this year when I bought lab supplies for #2 for Chemistry I only had to buy about $25 worth of chemicals (for DIVE and I hadn't done DIVE before, I just had a well stocked lab from 2 runs through physical science and 1 through chem)

I probably wouldn't use BJU with DIVE for a kid that doesn't like science. On the other hand, I wouldn't use DIVE and BJU for Biology for a kid that was going into science either, there is too much evolutionary theory that isn't taught that will be needed when they get to college. 

You have 4 younger kids. The cost of an Apologia full course CD new is $50. The cost of a DIVE CD is $50. Put a used textbook with DIVE, you are talking $50 for one program, $75 for the other. You'll have 2 different levels of science in your house to choose from as each child moves to that level and your total cost is no where near $400.

Personally, I would go with something that would fit most of your children if you are planning to recycle texts. I would not worry about the STEM major so much as college science classes start basic enough. Ours going to medical school have done just fine with A Beka. Almost any curriculum will work. Sometimes with the easier ones, the kiddos actually retain more going into college so find something that will recycle better for you.

I personally think what helps more is hands on labs and lab method. If a kiddo has not had that instruction, it is sometimes hard to jump into rigorous college science labs. The equipment might be strange and the equations and conversions may be difficult. So, at least at our house, we focus more on a great lab experience above all else in high school. Actually we started way back in elementary with daily science labs, but I think that might be overkill.

For the record, DH who is always skeptical about our homeschooling being rigorous enough, took over chemistry this year. He gave DD14 multiple AP practice tests which he got from multiple sources. DD14 has done very well on those in both chemistry and Biology. She has only had A Beka science all the way through with only my daily science labs as supplements. I am not worried about her choice of science major in college.

• Like 1

The reason I say $400 is I'm looking at a couple hundred at least for the science kit, then add texts and CDs. DIVE kit was $225. it says it doesn't ship to Canada anyway. I think I might just go with HOD'S choice for my oldest then go BJU or Apologia for my next. Then pick Between the two for my youngers.

The reason I say $400 is I'm looking at a couple hundred at least for the science kit, then add texts and CDs. DIVE kit was $225. it says it doesn't ship to Canada anyway. I think I might just go with HOD'S choice for my oldest then go BJU or Apologia for my next. Then pick Between the two for my youngers.

If you buy the kit the first time, you won't need to do it again, even if you do a different curriculum. You'll be able to go through the kit and check it off against what you own and buy just the individual items you need. So don't count the lab part as something that will be repurchased if you do something different.

I've never bought a kit. I started buying lab supplies when we started homeschooling. I bought what we needed in each grade. From about 7th grade up, I spent about $100/year most years. But now the last years with just my second child where I am just repeating sciences, the lab costs are almost nil. Your science costs will go down as your supply cabinet builds. The first couple of years of real labs are the most painful.

I wish that most of these homeschool friendly science books/programs weren't religious based.  I mean surely there are others out there like me that would like something like that, but not religious based.

I've considered creating a science program like DIVE designed to work with secular textbooks when I finish homeschooling. We are Christian, and we used DIVE with one child, but we really wanted secular science in high school. We also liked having something all laid out with videos, labs, worksheets, tests, etc all made for us. Biology is the level that I simply cannot use Christian materials for. I insist on having thorough coverage of current ideas of evolution taught, not mocked.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

We used:

Alternatives:

Regentrude, I've read/seen on on-line schools that Campbell and Chang are excellent.  They are listed as Honors or even AP.  I looked on Amazon or just on the internet in general and there are several books out there by these authors.  Are these the textbooks used in, say, an Honors Chemistry class and an Honors Biology class?   I ask because most just list Chang Chemistry or Campbell Biology.

Regentrude, I've read/seen on on-line schools that Campbell and Chang are excellent.  They are listed as Honors or even AP.  I looked on Amazon or just on the internet in general and there are several books out there by these authors.  Are these the textbooks used in, say, an Honors Chemistry class and an Honors Biology class?   I ask because most just list Chang Chemistry or Campbell Biology.

since these are college texts, any high school class using them should be considered honors (or AP if the book matches the required syllabus)