Menu

Anyone going to the HEAV convention?

EmilyGF

I've gone for the past 3 years, but his year I am sitting it out.  Last year's stuff was much the same as the previous 2 years, and we will just be getting back from a trip to France and I'll need time to re-group.  I'll probably go next year, though, just before the year DD enters high school.  I think it is a terrific convention!

I am :) I haven't gotten a hotel yet, last year I shared with a friend which was a blast but she's since moved so I'm debating the cost. Last year was a lot of fun though. Even though I don't need much in the way of curriculum the sessions are good (if you pick the right ones, I went to a couple of duds last year), and the whole environment is inspiring and encouraging.

If you have a car with you it's well worth the money to stay outside of Richmond proper, away from the convention center. The hotels are much cheaper and you get a much better quality of hotel for the money.

I am :) I haven't gotten a hotel yet, last year I shared with a friend which was a blast but she's since moved so I'm debating the cost. Last year was a lot of fun though. Even though I don't need much in the way of curriculum the sessions are good (if you pick the right ones, I went to a couple of duds last year), and the whole environment is inspiring and encouraging.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We stay at the Hilton Garden Inn that's across the street.  We've always stayed there rather than the Marriott (which connects to the GRCC), just... because.  I don't really remember.  I guess the first year it was just a little cheaper, so we went with that.  I always book our rooms so I can get HHonors points... I've heard good things about the Marriott, too, I really don't think it matters between the two of them.  The only difference is crossing the street lol.

I like staying close like that so I don't have to worry about ever moving the car, it's easy to run back to the room if needed, etc.  If I ever do start taking the family (sigh...), I'm sure they'll spend some time back in the pool, too, while I'm out and about at the convention.  Being close is nice for that reason.

If you have a car with you it's well worth the money to stay outside of Richmond proper, away from the convention center. The hotels are much cheaper and you get a much better quality of hotel for the money.

I'm actually from the suburbs :) We no longer live there but my parents and in laws do, which is why it's so much for me, when I could just stay with my parents. I will say the first time I went the parking was beyond atrocious which is why when my friend suggested splitting a room I jumped at it :) Plus it was nice to kind of isolate myself and have the evenings to discuss what we learned and have a nice dinner with a friend. Last year I know they started the shuttle system so I may just take advantage of that this year.

I'm having trouble with multi-quote, but mschickie: last year we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and it was really nice. They had a nice breakfast and lots of attendees were staying there. It's a decent walk, but not at all undoable. I probably wouldn't stay there if I thought I would want to go back to my room several times throughout the day, but for 2 adults who only went there in the evenings it worked out really well. It wasn't horribly expensive ($110 a night maybe?) and you didn't have to pay for parking, whereas you do have extra parking fees  at the 2 hotels near the convention center.