Menu

Apologia chemistry 3rd edition riddled with errors?

bethben,

hmm.. ok I've read most of the 19 pages of review...  I used 2nd edition twice.  I have collector's item.

thoughts....

1. get Wile edition. 

or

2. get 3rd edition and print off that review. Mark your 3rd edition text and solutions.   give the review print out when you sell it.    Wile did a nice job organizing the information. 

disadvantage of 2nd edition option:  getting some supports might start being harder in a few years.  you'll have to  piece together for lab kit..  probably not a big deal honestly.  but still.....

who knows?  maybe apologia will do a reprint and fix the mistakes?

I get it... a few years back one person out there made an ACT prep book for christian homeschoolers.   I bought it since it was recommended by a retailer I use (read my siggy line on that).  sent it back in the first week with a multiple page document of errors.   it was pulled from shelves to get fixed. or something. 

it's always big chance out there the first year a book goes to new edition. 

Have any of you read this? http://blog.drwile.com/?p=13271

If this is true (he doesn't seem to have a grudge), I will be looking for used 2nd editions. Please no comments about how I should use a secular textbook---I tried that route and found it hard to teach and hard to get all the materials needed.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Have you you looked at Spectrum  Chemistry?  It is not a secular publisher.

We really like the second edition. I am going to hurry and get a copy of physics too. They seem to be doing this phase out of Wile and shifting the focus a bit. The second edition finally gives us something my son likes! I have not found a problem acquiring the text and tests. You can even get then for the first edition on Amazon.

There is a bit of errata on the 2nd edition as well. No big things just significant figures and such. I have not used or seen the 3rd edition.

true. and I can remember going to the website and printing the corrections and just putting them in my textbook copy. I like when publishers do that. fwiw,  on FB, Wile said he sent the info to the publisher over a month ago (before the rest of us saw it), so maybe they'll do something with it.

Where would you find those corrections for the 2nd edition?  I can handle a few here and there but he has pages of corrections.  Some of his corrections are just formatting errors, but some of them are pretty significant.  I did buy the 2nd edition already and it would be nice to have the list of corrections.

Thank you for putting me into a complete panic today!  LOL  I bought all the high school science books, all 2nd editions.  The prices are great right now for the 2nd eds.  I went to an online seller to see what was available and there was basically nothing for any of the high school books.  It looks like they are waiting on 3 for everything.  So, I had a moment of panic and bought used copies of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Marine Biology.  Thanks for the heads up!

The person who teaches our co-op's high school Chemistry class made the rounds at the used sales last year looking for the 2nd edition once we found out they replaced Dr. Wile.  We used it for sd when she was in high school and it really was a complete program so I am not sure why Apologia chose to update the book especially since they had to use a different author.  I have not heard of many folks getting and using the 3rd edition yet.  I would be interested to hear what they say (although we will stick to Dr. Wile's books ourselves).

I was just reading my niece's 2nd edition Chemistry book this weekend and being enthralled. "This is the way I learned Chemistry. what I loved about it so much" and all SO understandable.  (I sent this link to my sister yesterday with a reminder she might want to get tests, etc for 2nd for her other 2 kids since it looks like there are major differences in 3rd. And just got an email for her that there is a 2nd edition Chemistry on its way to me! A delayed Christmas gift. YES!)