Menu

Lumber Liquidators??

Moxie

We used their "rustic maple" for about 1500 square feet in our last home - everywhere but the bathrooms and kitchen.  It turned out so beautiful!  But installing it ourselves was an incredible amount of work!  We lived there for about 4 years with a big dog, and the floor was just as beautiful when we sold it as it was when we installed it (though maybe just a little more "rustic").

sometimes they're a deal - and often they're overpriced.  (that's why they can have their "deal" flyer so often.)

do some online reading of what makes quality wood *grade*.  different species have different hardness ratings.  length of boards - longer is better as the nails should be going into the joists.  (hardwood should be laid perpendicular to the joists.)  it actually makes for a stronger floor.

I bought the prefinish floor from them I used in my kitchen.  it claimed a 50 year virtually indestructable aluminium oxide finish.  uh - no.  one box should have been returned but we were renting the equipment.  the stuff chipped if something dropped on it - and then I had raw wood in spots.

that floor is now gone (dishwasher leaked - and the floor was destroyed.)  we replaced it with quartzite tile.

dh wanted to look at them again when we put hardwoods down in his office. (converted a bedroom.) he was finally convinced they are rarely a deal.  we bought a better quality prefinished floor elsewhere - for less.  they have been an easy place (average price) to pick up 1/4 round molding that goes in front of the baseboard.

eta: I will admit I do have a preference for finish on site Swedish.  "the toxic one". I have been very happy with the prefinish we used in dh's office - and ended up using in the family room, 'bedroom' hallways, and 2ds's bedroom.  we bought it from a local vendor - and the quality is higher than we had in the kitchen from LL.

The catch is the flooring that they list as very low in price on their flier is worth the price it's listed for.  Meaning you might want to fork over for something a tad thicker to get better quality.  Another catch is they often don't have the featured items in stock or they run out quickly or they don't have very much left.  It is pretty much to get you in the door.  But they do have good deals on flooring and a much bigger selection than a place like Home Depot.  We bought a lot of flooring from them and are pleased with it.

Ok, but there is something that irritates me about them.  They discontinue flooring quickly.  So we did several rooms with a specific color.  Then a few months later we wanted to do some other areas and hoped to match it by using the same flooring, but no it was discontinued.  So we were not able to match it exactly.  Frustrating.  I could see if this was several years later, but a few months? 

Maybe that isn't them exactly and is typical.  I have no clue. 

We have bought from them several times for several different projects and have been very pleased with both the price and quality.  We did the install ourselves so can't vouch for that.  FWIW, all of the flooring that we have used is still available several years after the fact.