Menu

I'm painting my tile floor!!

Moxie

Eek!!

We have a large entry that has really cool quatrefoil shaped tiles that are in great shape. Sadly, they are 70's gold which doesn't go with what we want to do to the house. Before we replace them, I'm going to paint them and see what happens. I'm excited!!

Has anybody done this? I need to research the best way to help the paint stick. Maybe chalk paint?? Off to research!

Floor paint, for sure. I'd use oil based, for sure. Maybe a floor paint that is rated for cement. Sherwin Williams' "Marine Paint" is an oil based paint that we use on the concrete block walls of the dog kennels at our vet hospital. It gets scrubbed daily and hosed down daily, and dogs can and do claw at it sometimes. It holds up GREAT. You have to ask for it at SW, as they don't market it to individuals. They'll tell you that some other latex paint is comparable . . . It iS NOT. Trust me, we've used both, and we went back to the marine paint . . . It stays looking good for several years in the kennel, so I would imagine it'd hold up on tile floors pretty well. 

Scrub with TSP before painting!

I looked at doing this a while back and came across this page, which I bookmarked because it was the only one I could find with any long-term follow-up data.  

I once painted some really ugly stair treads in a house we flipped; we ripped the carpet off of the stairs, and the treads underneath were pine and horridly scarred from being covered in carpet.  I painted them flat black with one coat of semi-gloss on top (or maybe it was the other way around), and painted the risers and the rest of the trim bright white, and they were stunning.  I LOVED those stairs and hope the new owners did as well.  Our realtor was also a fan, especially as she had seen the stairs before (with carpet) and during (naked).  This wasn't tile, of course, but just to say that painted floors can look really good and do not have to be cottagey.  This was  a traditional home, and the stairs fit it completely.

Good luck, and please post pics!

Our powder room has a painted tile floor. It's not my favorite and I'd rather replace it with classic white penny tile, but I doubt it's worth the hassle. So far it's held up fine, but it's a very small space where shoes never go. I do have to clean it with a hand held brush--like get down on my hands and knees and really scrub--or the paint attracts gunk. I'll probably replace it when it inevitably gets scratched up, though. I'm not sure I'd recommend it long term in a front entry, but I hope it works out for you!