Menu

We finished our first chapter book!

I know this won't seem like a feat by many, that is why I am sharing it here on this board. My twin girls that struggle with dyslexia finished reading their first chapter book at their own leisurely pace! I read aloud to them and we have readers for our lessons but this was their first real chapter book that they picked out, wanted to read each and worked a few pages at a time on just for their pure enjoyment. There were plenty of nights they only had the stamina for a page or two. I didn't pressure them with these readings vs their reading lessons.. 

They were so excited. They both finished within the same 24 hours. One girl had picked out Magic Puppy #1 book. The other was reading Magic Bunny #1. They have both asked for the next in the series for each.

Before these books, the longest books they had read for fun were the Frog and Toad books. We tried Magic Tree House with no success. They found the stories boring.

Saw on the main board. My daughter's friend, who is a challenged reader though I'm not educating her so I don't know the details, loves Puppy Place books. Like, loves. She's also 9. Last year at eight she still had trouble with some CVC words but she's been making steady progress. I see her read at my home like in games and when the kids put on plays using scripts and so on.

There is some fairly good vocab in there but the print is large and the chapters, short.

Congratulations to you all!

Thank you all in joining me in my enthusiasm. I have seen such a blossoming in their reading skills this year. I really thought I was a failure for SOOOO Long before we realized what was going on. We have a long road ahead but progress is so nice. I have found they can read most words with board games, road signs, etc. Such progress in one year!!!  :w00t: