Menu

In what grade do you stop teaching formal spelling?

diaperjoys

Do you stop at the end of elementary? Or continue on through middle school? I have a 12yo who spells quite well, avoids reading any rule presented to him in a spelling book, and performs very well on achievement tests. Should I continue to have him do a spelling program?

As a homeschooler, "grade" wouldn't be a consideration. :-)

If you are satisfied with your ds's spelling skills, then don't do formal spelling. 

For me it depends on which kid.  My DD stopped when she started 7th grade work.  She could spell well, and it was just a waste of time for her IMO.  I think she is actually at better speller than I am.  My middle child will never be able to spell well.  I strongly suspect he has dyslexia, though I have not be able to get him tested yet.  I will stop for him when he finishes the last Apples & Pears book which arrives next week.  He is currently doing mostly 6th grade work. Any spelling I did beyond that would just frustrate both of us.  My youngest is also doing the Apples and Pears books.  He is doing very well and his spelling is actually improving much more and he is retaining it better than his older brother.  I don't know if I will have him do another spelling type program when we are done or not, I will play it by ear.

Totally depends on your student, and on your goals with spelling. For your situation, it sure sounds like you can be done with formal spelling.

Another option would be to just do occasional spelling -- collect misspelled words from the student's writing and when you have enough of a list, do the spelling practice and test.

Another option would be to switch to vocabulary -- a list of 10 words a week from the reading, learn the definitions, practice the words in a sentence, spelling test at the end of the week.

And another option would be to switch to a vocabulary root words study, and any spelling would be incidental with learning the vocabulary words.

Do you stop at the end of elementary? Or continue on through middle school? I have a 12yo who spells quite well, avoids reading any rule presented to him in a spelling book, and performs very well on achievement tests. Should I continue to have him do a spelling program?

Doesn't sound like he needs it. I teach spelling as long as kids need it.