Menu

Alternative to Classical Conversations

beymasrock

Sorry if this has been discussed already, if so, could you point me in the right direction??
Thanks!

I am sold on the Classical method and want to pursue that with my children. I am half way through our first year in CC Foundations ABC (4-5 year olds) class and there are some issues I have with the curriculum. I am tutoring and I find the 3 hours doable and fun for the kids however I am concerned about the price for an incomplete curriculum. I am finding that I need to buy a separate math curriculum as well as reading/writing and I don't like that! Not to mention that as they get older CC will have to be supplemented EVEN more because of gaps in histroy, science, etc.  I think it's a great idea to do the Classical method but it seems that CC is super expensive for what you get.

I have only heard of Tapestry of Grace as an alternate but are there any other where you get more bang for your buck? I wouldn't mind not being part of the community as long as the curriculum provided me with a more complete inclusion of subjects.

I am also thinking of scrapping the community and using the CC curr strictly at home and joining a regular co-op to get us out with other people and part of a community.

What has your experience been?

I appreciate your advice and thoughts. Thanks!!

I'm not sure TOG would be cheaper (although I don't know the cost for CC) -- the unit manuals are extensive, and therefore pricey, and so are all the actual books.  And you still have to buy math and language arts.  And science.  I used TOG Ancients twice with my children (once when oldest was about 10, and then again when she was about 15).  I still own it because I *did* love it.  But I don't know that I want to use it again.  Okay, I know I won't use it again.  But for some reason I haven't parted with it yet. 

The first time I used it myself, and the second time a friend and I did it together (co-op style), but we still each had to have our own copy of the unit manuals and all the books!

• Like 1

Peace Hill press sells some wonderful classical materials, lol.

Especially as the kids got older, we were never lacking for things to do and places to go. When they were younger, in the 4-7 range, we spent more time at home.

I have never felt the need to belong to a co-op, life seems to hand us plenty of things to do.

• Like 4

I have no interest in CC as it is currently set up.  I am part of a small co-op (4-5 families) we built with friends, and we cover some classical academics, including poetry, memorization, art history, etc.  It works well for us. Most co-ops don't appeal to me.  We do park days with fellow HSers, and then our one day a week of academic co-op with close friends who share a similar educational philosophy.

• Like 1

We never did co-ops for main classes.  I was using something that I liked and others wanted to use something else.  (at the time the stuff I used wasn't as popular or well known so I was thought of as odd. giggle) . so my outside classes were dance, craft club, play time at the park.  and for academics we used my father's world the whole way.    and lo and behold.. in the last year or so that company came out with some kind of guide that encourages 2 or more families to get together for using the same program.    but overall, mfw gave me enough classic, enough unit studies..  I didn't have to use their language arts and math (but I did) so I could add what worked.   I have no idea if it's what you're looking for.   just thought I'd add to the list of ideas.  If there are a few others in your CC group who might want to look at those Synergy group teaching guides from mfw, it might be interesting.

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised CC is being marketed to parents as a complete curriculum.

You might consider Veritas Press, although for a complete curriculum they aren't going to be cheaper than CC. But it will be complete and they will make lesson plans and customize them for you.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been discussed already, if so, could you point me in the right direction??

Thanks!

I am sold on the Classical method and want to pursue that with my children. I am half way through our first year in CC Foundations ABC (4-5 year olds) class and there are some issues I have with the curriculum. I am tutoring and I find the 3 hours doable and fun for the kids however I am concerned about the price for an incomplete curriculum. I am finding that I need to buy a separate math curriculum as well as reading/writing and I don't like that! Not to mention that as they get older CC will have to be supplemented EVEN more because of gaps in histroy, science, etc.  I think it's a great idea to do the Classical method but it seems that CC is super expensive for what you get.

I have only heard of Tapestry of Grace as an alternate but are there any other where you get more bang for your buck? I wouldn't mind not being part of the community as long as the curriculum provided me with a more complete inclusion of subjects.

I am also thinking of scrapping the community and using the CC curr strictly at home and joining a regular co-op to get us out with other people and part of a community.

What has your experience been?

I appreciate your advice and thoughts. Thanks!!

There are different models of what classical education looks like. Classical Conversations isn't the only way to achieve a classical education. I blogged about our experience with CC and why it didn't work for us (after two years of trying to make it work).

We started with the Well Trained Mind model of Classical Education, but now follow Charlotte Mason and use mostly the Ambleside Online resources with some WTM resources thrown in for good measure. 

If memory work is important to you, you could keep using CC guide for that at home. Memoria Press also has memory work per grade, but I don't know much about it.

• Like 2

OHHH Okay, I have read the book, but it's been a while! I got that TWTM was an abbreviation but not WTM. Thanks!!

Don't feel bad, this is the most acronym heavy forum I've ever used!  All the curricula are abbreviated and it's hard enough to keep them straight without trying to remember their initials!!

• Like 2

OHHH Okay, I have read the book, but it's been a while! I got that TWTM was an abbreviation but not WTM. Thanks!!

If you are starting in on Classical Education and have read WTM, I strongly suggest you consider also buying SWB's lecture "The Joys of Classical Education".  You can get it for less than 5$ from Peace Hill Press, it's an Mp3 so you buy it and download it. I have it in my itunes.

It is a great introduction to classical education.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

After doing 2 years of CC with a community we have decided to do CC at home. I tutored the ABC group last year (even though my kids were older, there was no one that wanted to teach that young age group and I didn't mind) and after tutoring I realized that I could do a better job at home.

Unfortunately, my kids got the short end of the stick with me tutoring as I was trying to prepare for class one day a week and then we were gone actually at CC one day a week. It felt like too much time out of the house for not much gain and a heavy cost financially.  I wouldn't have been able to do another year without tutoring and counting the cost of time it wasn't worth it to me especially since my DS is in 6th grade this year.

I loved our community and getting the day out of the house, but our life is SO much less stressful without it! My kids get to see most of the other kids at church and small group so I don't feel that they're losing out too much on hanging with friends.

I would say: Go for it!

There are different models of what classical education looks like. Classical Conversations isn't the only way to achieve a classical education. I blogged about our experience with CC and why it didn't work for us (after two years of trying to make it work).

We started with the Well Trained Mind model of Classical Education, but now follow Charlotte Mason and use mostly the Ambleside Online resources with some WTM resources thrown in for good measure. 

If memory work is important to you, you could keep using CC guide for that at home. Memoria Press also has memory work per grade, but I don't know much about it.

aaaaaaand I could have just quoted this, especially the link, and said Ditto. HA!

I think CC is crazy expensive for what you get. We have always followed WTM at home which is a better rotation for history and science IMO anyway. And we belong to a generic co-op and homeschool group (no overarching educational method.) I bring my classical flair to the co-op in the classes I teach, and my kids gain other perspectives from other teachers and styles, plus they have community.

If you are starting in on Classical Education and have read WTM, I strongly suggest you consider also buying SWB's lecture "The Joys of Classical Education".  You can get it for less than 5$ from Peace Hill Press, it's an Mp3 so you buy it and download it. I have it in my itunes.

It is a great introduction to classical education.

:iagree:

I have found all of Susan's talks to be extremely informative and inspiring. I actually listen to them every so often to keep my vision on track. Here's the link to purchase/browse. https://welltrainedmind.com/c/resources-for-parents/workshops-seminars/

Homeschooling the Real Child is another great one. 

I'm kind of surprised CC is being marketed to parents as a complete curriculum.

It is definitely NOT marketed as a complete curriculum.  You know going in you will need your own reading, handwriting & math.  We used the library to supplement the memory work.  The memory work included a high-level timeline, more detailed history sentences, geography, science, Latin, grammar, and math facts.  They also had a weekly science lab, art or music exploration, and each kid gave a presentation weekly.  You don't need to add more than reading, handwriting, and a math program in the early years.   

Edited by MeganW