Menu

Has NetFlix DVDs Gone Downhill?

5of5

Does it seem to anyone else that the DVD part of NetFlix has gone downhill?  I recently got notified that they can’t ship “When Harry Met Sally†at all!  How you could not have disks for a movie like that?

It also seems to me that it is much more common that movies in my queue have a “very long wait†status that doesn't go away.

Does it seem to anyone else that the DVD part of NetFlix has gone downhill?  I recently got notified that they can’t ship “When Harry Met Sally†at all!  How you could not have disks for a movie like that?

It also seems to me that it is much more common that movies in my queue have a “very long wait†status that doesn't go away.

They may have lost the license to the movie, rather than having a number of copies issue. I rarely have more than one or two movies with a "very long wait" and those are usually very new or seasonal (like Christmas movies at Christmas time) but I always eventually get the movie. 

They may have lost the license to the movie, rather than having a number of copies issue. I rarely have more than one or two movies with a "very long wait" and those are usually very new or seasonal (like Christmas movies at Christmas time) but I always eventually get the movie. 

I know about streaming licenses, but I wasn't aware of DVD licenses.  How do they work?

I just had two discs in a row arrive cracked clean through, from middle to edge. The second disc was a replacement for the first disc (and, no, it was not the same disc shipped by accident - timing not right.)  Called Netflix and they are sending a third copy of the same films out, along with an extra disc form my queue - and I am to hold onto and call them if either arrive cracked, as that means they ahve to track down where in the postal system it is happening.

While we watch more streaming from Netflix (and Amazon), many more recent films or foreign films are only on DVD.

No problems here. Someone saw us get one the other day and said, "Oh, how quaint!" But I'm telling you, the selection is so much better than streaming still.

There is no such thing as a DVD license. If you own physical media like a hardcover book or a DVD then you can have a service that loans it out without any other legal issues. What's possible is that all their copies of the physical DVD are scratched up or destroyed and the DVD has gone out of print so they can't get new ones. Or, they've decided not to get new ones because of the cost.