Menu

8th grade Latin course on high school transcript?

Crossposted from my Latin translation speed thread:

We are strongly considering letting her be done with Latin after this year. She is overstretched and we need to give her breathing room. Even though she will have to start over with Latin in college. Sigh... She will have many AP (hopefully!) and dual enrollment credits to lighten her collefe course requirement load.

I am hoping to count her 8th grade First and Second Form Latin as an Intro to Latin high school level course on her transcript, not towards her gpa. (Memoria Press has a high school online course covering First and Seond in one year). So her transcript shows she has 3 years of Latin. Any thoughts on that idea?

Where would I place this on her year by year transcript?

Edited to add: my daughter said a better option would be Excelabilty in Latin with extra reading and REA Latin SAT2 guide for Latin 3 to self study National Latin exam 3 and SAT2.

Does your daughter have any idea which colleges she will be applying to?  If she has some already on a list, she may want to email admissions in the spring and ask their opinion.

If she is applying to "techy" colleges, I would say she would be fine stopping her foreign language studies now.  Otherwise, she might want to continue her Latin studies next year but switch to another provider that isn't as intense as the one she is using now.

Good luck.

I am hoping to count her 8th grade First and Second Form Latin as an Intro to Latin high school level course on her transcript, not towards her gpa. (Memoria Press has a high school online course covering First and Seond in one year). So her transcript shows she has 3 years of Latin. Any thoughts on that idea?

High school transcripts should only show work done during High School. 

This is not true.  Many public schools include foreign language, science, and math classes taken in 8th grade on the high school transcript.  Not only do these public schools award high school credit, they also factor the grades obtained in these classes into the students' high school G.P.A.'s

Fwiw, my oldest took Latin III in 9th grade and said he was done forever with translating Caesar and other dead people.  His transcript is arranged by subject, and I listed Latin I, II, and III on his high school transcript (which included his age when it was taken).  He has not had any problems getting admitted to schools that require three years of a foreign language.

K ended up having to drop AP Latin due to a major illness during senior year.  But, they had taken a high school Latin class in 8th grade so I put it on the transcript in a small section for "High School Classes taken before High School."  I included the grade on the transcript, but did not include it into the GPA.  I could have made a case for doing so based upon what the high schools around me do, but, since they already had a ton of college courses and AP, their grade point average weighted was high enough for it not to matter.  But, this did qualify as 4 years of high school foreign language.  My transcript was by year. 

This is not true. Many public schools include foreign language, science, and math classes taken in 8th grade on the high school transcript. Not only do these public schools award high school credit, they also factor the grades obtained in these classes into the students' high school G.P.A.'s

This is the approach I use. Math and foreign language taken before 9th grade count, in part because it matches the policy of the district we lived in when the boys started high school. I would consider including science if I felt the quality had been clearly at the upper high school level.

This is the approach I use. Math and foreign language taken before 9th grade count, in part because it matches the policy of the district we lived in when the boys started high school. I would consider including science if I felt the quality had been clearly at the upper high school level.

We do the same here.  Wherever possible, we have a supporting test score (NGE, NLE, SAT) to substantiate.

ETA: With DD / DS summer programs, we would get a lot of questions regarding where the standard classes were if I omitted them from the transcript.  This is more of an issue with significant out-of-level work.

The problem I see with your plan is that MP's First and Second Form Latin and Lukeion 1 are equivalent classes. I know Lukeion is far more rigorous, but they cover the same (ish) material. Could you sign your dd up for an easier Latin class next year? MP's Latin 3 uses Henle 2 (Caesar). Landry's Latin 3 is the second half of Wheelock along with 38 Latin Stories, although that one might be too similar to Lukeion's Latin 2.  These classes are not super advanced, but they are solid, on-level classes from established online provider who do offer AP Latin classes.

The problem I see with your plan is that MP's First and Second Form Latin and Lukeion 1 are equivalent classes. I know Lukeion is far more rigorous, but they cover the same (ish) material. Could you sign your dd up for an easier Latin class next year? MP's Latin 3 uses Henle 2 (Caesar). Landry's Latin 3 is the second half of Wheelock along with 38 Latin Stories, although that one might be too similar to Lukeion's Latin 2.  These classes are not super advanced, but they are solid, on-level classes from established online provider who do offer AP Latin classes.

:iagree: I'd have no problem at all listing high school credits earned while in middle school. That's what I've done with my own kids for math, science, or foreign language courses. The problem that I see here is that your daughter will have completed through Latin 2, and you're proposing giving her 3 credits. I'd really hesitate to do so.

Another thing I noticed is that she wants to continue Latin in college. A two-year gap with no Latin in 11th or 12th grades will make it difficult to jump back in.

I like the idea to leave Lukeion and either self-study or use another provider, many of which will do a fine job with less of a time committment. Besides the options listed by chiguirre, you might want to look at Lone Pine's Latin 3 class.

If she chooses to self-study, I like her idea to substantiate her work with the NLE 3 and/or the SAT 2 exam (more difficult than the NLE 3, by the way). Yes, the REA and Excelability books are great for that purpose. I'd use them regularly, but I'd make the bulk of the course *reading* Latin by a variety of authors. The 38 Stories book is good for that, among others. We are big fans of the Bolchazy Carducci catalog here. Some of their stuff is $$, but they sell lots of supports for self-studiers, including workbooks and teacher guides.

Good luck to her!

Yes, she has looked at the REA and Excelabilty in Advanced Latin book and wants to self study for Latin 3. She has the college board Sat2 book and doesn't think it looks incredibly hard, but will require a year of reading speed practice for Latin 3. She wants to start in June while she is fresh and take Sat2 around the same time as NLE 3. Any recommendations for readers w/ keys in addition to 38 Latin Stories?

Wilson Hill Academy and Classic Academic Press also offer a Latin Reading course.  My next one is going to do one or the other of those, depending on the schedule for 2015-2016.  She's done well, but has other AP classes and isn't a motivated Latin student like my oldest.  I'd rather get a good SAT II score with her and stop.  So we'll do one of those and then take it in June of 2016, and if the score isn't as high, do one semester with Lukeion's Latin III and take it in December 2016.

Yes, she has looked at the REA and Excelabilty in Advanced Latin book and wants to self study for Latin 3. She has the college board Sat2 book and doesn't think it looks incredibly hard, but will require a year of reading speed practice for Latin 3. She wants to start in June while she is fresh and take Sat2 around the same time as NLE 3. Any recommendations for readers w/ keys in addition to 38 Latin Stories?

The Lone Pine audit option might work well for her, giving her access to a good course in Latin reading without the pressure.

Other read-at-home options to look at:

Wheelock's Latin Reader, which was written as an intermediate reader to follow completion of Wheelock's textbook. It looks great, but I don't own it, & I'm not sure whether keys are available. If the passages are well-known, though, you could always google & find English versions online.

Lingua Latina Pars 2, which is another intermediate level reader utilizing a variety of authors. You can order all kinds of supplementary material for this course. Don't let the "2" fool you. LL covers basic grammar in the first volume, so this really is challenging & more appropriate for third year students. I have it & like it a lot.

Bolchazy Carducci has lots of intermediate level reading choices, too. You could put together a variety of authors depending on her interests. For example, they have A Little Book of Latin Love Poetry: A Transitional Reader for Catullus, Horace, and Ovid, which looks like fun & has an accompanying teacher book.

I will be including Latin (or any foreign language) and Math taken before high school on the high school transcript for those courses that were taken at the high school level.  I probably wouldn't include many other subjects (particularly English and history) especially if they were created by me.  However,  I do have a student that I am considering how to include a couple courses taken before high school from an outside provider that are listed as high school and have assigned credits. 

If I have a transcript by grade taken there will be a pre-high school category and if by subject they will just be listed 1st perhaps with a notation at the bottom to designate classes prior to high school.

• 3 weeks later...

That statement is not valid from my research.  I have talked to counselors in college as well as the Homeschooling Association in our state and you can award your child HS credit if it was indeed considered a HS course.  Just FYI for those who might be confused with this...I was for a while!  :)

For the poster's comment, I would award the years she took that our considered HS level courses in MS.  Good luck!