Menu

Cruise questions

DawnM

I am going on a cruise for the first time in my life!

I am very excited.

Right now I have a cabin room on hold for 24 hours (expiring today at 6pm).  It holds 2 people.

We are waiting on a 3rd person to say if she can go or not go.  She says she isn't sure she can let us know by then.

I called the Cruise line and asked if we could go ahead and book, and then change the reservation (and the cabin) to a 3 person room without penalty.  The guy on the phone assured me we could, but I am always a bit skeptical about the info I get from customer service.

Does anyone know if this is correct?  It is Carnival Cruise line.

When will the cruise be? In my experience, cruise lines generally let you rebook/change but a) you might lose a discount/deal if it is no longer available and b) it is possible that there are no more cabins for three people available. They have a maximum number of passengers so even if there are still cabins with 3 beds they might not let more than 2 passengers book these. If the cruise is far into the future/not very fully booked and / or not during vacation time I wouldn't worry too much but there is still a risk.

When will the cruise be? In my experience, cruise lines generally let you rebook/change but a) you might lose a discount/deal if it is no longer available and b) it is possible that there are no more cabins for three people available. They have a maximum number of passengers so even if there are still cabins with 3 beds they might not let more than 2 passengers book these. If the cruise is far into the future/not very fully booked and / or not during vacation time I wouldn't worry too much but there is still a risk.

Thanks.  We aren't going until late April.

However, two rooms in our party are already booked, so this is a 3rd room.  I have the one next to the other two reserved, but I really want to book if this 3rd person doesn't get back to me.

We are trying to impart the urgency of her decision, but she isn't a "book in advance" type of person, and finances are tighter for her, so my guess is that she will keep putting it off until she knows if she can afford it, with will be weeks, if not a couple of months from now.

We feel bad saying, "You have until 6pm today to decide," but I am not sure she is understanding how much it will impact things if we wait (even though we have told her.)

The person who initiated the idea of a cruise is telling me to just book and not worry about the other person, but I feel bad doing that.  I also know I will be upset if I lose this room and wait a week and go to rebook and we can't get anything close to our other friends.

Not the end of the world, but I am trying to figure this out.

Isn't a 3 person room hard to come by anyway?  Most cruise lines I know of base almost everything on double occupancy, unless you're talking about getting a suite or something?

I would give her a deadline and not feel bad about it, you have to make vacation plans.  The end of April is not that far away.

Dh and I are going on our first cruise this summer (Alaska) :)

I hope you have a great time, Dawn!

I bet you will love it!  My parents did an Alaska cruise a few months ago. It was their favorite yet. They've been on MANY since my dad retired 2 years ago. They actually just left for a 3 week cruise to Mexico and Hawaii last Friday.