Menu

Does "correct" letter/number formation really matter?

chilliepepper

I just started HSing my 3rd grader and 2nd grader this year. Up until this fall, nobody had required them to form their letters and numbers in any particular way. Because of this, they form many of their letters in ways that I consider to be "incorrect." Circles go clockwise instead of counter clockwise, many letters start from the bottom etc.

I haven't focused on this much with my 3rd grader, because at least his writing is legible. With my 2nd grader, however, I've really emphasized handwriting because his is atrocious.

We started doing Pentime in the fall and have worked through the first and part of the second book. He also does copywork, and I have required him to practice certain letters over and over and over and over the correct way, to try to correct some of his habits. The number "2" seems to be the most stubborn. He ALWAYS starts it at the bottom unless he is reminded.

It's really hard for me to have time to sit with him and monitor his every stroke whenever he writes, including when he does his math work. I've been making him erase and rewrite the number 2 every time he starts it from the bottom, which has become discouraging and frustrating for both of us. I've had him write whole rows of 2s---50 at a time. Still, the habit persists.

So I begin to wonder: should I just let it go?

Are you making him rewrite the 2 because you cannot read it or because you want his stroke "correct"?  If the 2 is readable and you have tried correcting the stroke many times without success, I would stop.  You will just discourage him from wanting to even try.  And I would not have him write 50 2s in a row.  It obviously isn't helping and it will seem like a punishment for something that he may not be able to help..  

Have you looked into the possibility of dysgraphia?  

There are reasons for correct letter formation and a lot of it has to do with speed of writing - usually in grades 1-3 children are not writing enough for it to matter, but as they reach high school and the volume of handwriting increases and the distance that their hands are having to move increases, you can find that incorrect letter formation leads to slower writing and greater difficulty keeping up. Top to bottom is important in print as is the left to right movement of letters because of the added distance in moving the pen for example when starting with the curved part of the letter B.

It is easier to teach girls the correct formation of 2s without them realising it - just get them to draw hearts starting on the right side of the heart - not sure boys would like that though :) Try making him write rows of the same letter or number - yes this is drill and is boring and you still have to keep watching them in their own writing, but it does help automaticity. Also check which letters are formed correctly and mark them off so you know which need work.

The other option is to switch to cursive and make sure he writes everything like that and teach it correctly. Numerals would still need work though.

It matters.

Writing letters the opposite way makes writing less fluid. Letter forms developed over time in a way that made sense, KWIM? When children write their letters/numerals incorrectly, they are making things more difficult for themselves in the long run. Ditto with correct pencil/pen grip and posture when writing. And since your ds's penmanship is "atrocious," then yes, it matters.

I would suggest that you maybe try something besides just pencil to paper.  Include whole body movement for a bit.  Writing with his finger in sand or salt.  Writing with a paint brush using water on concrete or fence posts.   For some kids just constant drill, drill, drill on paper does not always help.    

You might also look on-line at support material and ideas for kids with writing issues and see if there are any other options that might help.

Mine were doing the exact same thing!  I decided that for math work, the 4th grader could write numbers as she chose, because what was important was getting the answer.  I would also have dictation time, and that is whre I made sure she was writing correctly.   I would add a row of a certain number written neatly and correctly.

Like other people, I vote for fixing it, because of speed issues down the line. 

Just a thought- when I was re-teaching my son how to write some numbers/letters I would sit with him and remind him to do it a certain way before he started that number/letter, every time. That way he wasn't getting extra practice writing it the wrong way, and he was writing it the correct way while "in the thick of things," not just when he was particularly working on that number. I wanted to build up the muscle memory of doing it right the first time, in between writing other numbers "in real life."

my 2nd grader does not form his letters correctly...or at least he didn't!  I've just focused on one letter at a time with him. 

First, I told him that it was a subject that I was going to work with him on and that I'd like him to try really hard to do it the "right" way.  I picked one letter/number and showed him the correct formation.  Then, I had him write it a few times (maybe 5 or 6).  One his next assignment, I asked him to be careful when he comes to that letter and try to practice the right way.  My 2nd grader is actually very mindful of his work, so he worked very hard and we have corrected almost every letter and he keeps it up. 

I didn't make it overwhelming or a "big deal."  It was just something to practice.  He's been learning cursive this year, and I stressed that forming letters correctly makes learning cursive easier.  That may have been his motivation!  

So, while *I* thought it was a big deal, I tried not to make it stressful for him. 

I think good correct penmanship comes under the heading of Very Nice to Have but Not a Hill to Die On.  'Correct' cursive strokes were invented when writing was done with an old-fashioned pen and ink bottle, so children could learn to make smooth movements and avoid inkblots on their work. Kids nowadays are doing most of their 'writing' on computers by the time they are in high school, so the only time they would need to write large amounts of legible text would be in exam essays (and who knows how soon even that will move to typing answers online). My husband got through college fine with absolutely atrocious writing and half his letters formed 'incorrectly', as do many other successful people. Gone are the days when "a good hand" was considered part of one's character, and employers would request handwritten job applications!

Since your children are still quite young, I'd certainly encourage you to make a concerted effort to 'fix' the penmanship. But if it doesn't work out, it's not the end of the world.