Menu

If you use CLE Math 500 or up...

You can accelerate.

Would you be doing math in the summers? That would help significantly.

Many/most people skip LU 1 (review) when going directly from level to the next. This will cut 17 days off of each year.

edited to add: instead of summarizing what I learned, I'll link the thread I found.

Yes it is possible, as others have mentioned.  

1.  Skip each Light Unit 101.  

2.  Do two lessons a day but cut the review problems in whatever way works best for you and your kids.  (No review problems with first lesson, only second lesson; or only one review problem from each section of each lesson; or review problems selected based on where student is still needing additional practice while all other review problems are only included intermittently, etc.)

3.  Skip quizzes.  Skip tests, too, if you feel they are really getting the material.  Do the test only at the end of each level to confirm they get what they are doing.

4.  Skip the "fun" lessons that are built in to each Light Unit.

5.  Do a lesson on Saturday.

Grab a calendar, pick the date you want to be done with both levels, then work backwards.  Each Light Unit is supposed to take roughly 3 weeks.  We have successfully shortened that to two weeks when needed.  I think there are 17 lessons per unit but I don't remember exactly.  You should make it if you double up, also do a lesson on Saturday, and you cut out the quiz and the test from each unit, plus the "fun" lesson, and you work through the summer.  Look at the calendar and work backwards, taking into account any holidays/birthdays/etc that might preclude doing a lesson.  See which day shows up as the date you would have to start then adjust the schedule accordingly.

By the way, I am sure you already know this, but I did want to mention that all of this depends on not hitting any snags.  If your child starts to struggle, please slow it down.  Give them a chance to solidify what they are doing, irregardless of what your hoped for schedule is.  And maybe take a day or so every few weeks to just do some fun math games.  Keep them from feeling like math is drudgery and just a chore to complete.

Good luck and best wishes....  

My 5th grader is in 500, but wants to take Algebra in 8th, so we are going to do it year round; I've told him to "prepare his heart", lol.  He does well in math, but forgets things--he's done CLE all the way through, and i actually think doing it year-round will be better.  We do math 4 days per week, and if we need to, we'll ramp it up to 5 and that will help too.

B

You could definitely do this.

Will you be new to CLE? If so, you probably want to do the (-01) unit when you start. From here on, though, these could easily be skipped.

I skip lessons 5, 10, and 16 in each light unit. 5 and 10 are quizzes/just for fun and 16 is a review day for the test. Now each LU has only 14 lessons. That is 140 lessons in the 500's and 130 in the 600's (skipping 601). 270/5 days = 54 weeks, so doable if you work summer and/or some weekends and/or double up on a few lessons.

BUT, I have found that you do not need to finish the whole year. I have started the next year after finishing LU -07 of each year. I just kept an eye on the placement test for the following year and this is as far as we needed to go. Let's say that you plan to go through LU -08 just to be on the safe side. That would mean 8 units x 14 lessons = 112 lessons in the 500's and 7 units x 14 lessons = 98 lessons in the 600's. That brings you to 210 lessons, which could be done in 42 weeks at 5 days per week.

This gives you a couple different options in how you could be done in a year. I hope that wasn't too convoluted. It is not as confusing in my head as it looks on paper, and I'm trying to get out the door. Feel free to question me if something doesn't make sense.

TracyP--I was looking at old posts about giving a special needs kid a high school diploma and I think it was your posts from a couple years ago that I came across.  I was researching how to create a transcipt for a special needs high school student who might not get to Geometry, Algebra 2, etc.  It looks like in my state there are no requirements so I can do what I feel he needs to try and ready him for community college or a trade certificate.

I'm know I'll be coming back to these posts to reread once we have started. 

Thank you for the feedback.  My son has a lot of catching up to do and I want to be able to issue him a high school diploma.  I need to double check the requirements.  I'm not sure if we will do summers or not.

Is this the 8th grader? Did you mention recently in another thread that he had learning differences?

I wouldn't go in planning to try and hurry up a student who is already struggling. It would be different if he had just never been instructed, but if he has been instructed and still struggles I think you run a serious risk of ending up with a haste-makes-waste situation. I would go on Saturdays and year-round to help him catch up though, even if you end up going at half-speed in the summer. 

ETA: It is much better for CC purposes for him to have a solid understanding of pre-algebra and introductory algebra than to have courses on his transcript that he didn't really understand. If he only gets through algebra 1 but understands it, he should place into intermediate algebra which results in only one developmental math class being needed. If he makes it through algebra 2, he should place into college algebra -- but again, only if he understands it.

It is far too common for students who have 4 years of college-prep math to place into arithmetic or pre-algebra, because they didn't really understand what was happening in the courses they took. 

Is this the 8th grader? Did you mention recently in another thread that he had learning differences?

I wouldn't go in planning to try and hurry up a student who is already struggling. It would be different if he had just never been instructed, but if he has been instructed and still struggles I think you run a serious risk of ending up with a haste-makes-waste situation. I would go on Saturdays and year-round to help him catch up though, even if you end up going at half-speed in the summer. 

ETA: It is much better for CC purposes for him to have a solid understanding of pre-algebra and introductory algebra than to have courses on his transcript that he didn't really understand. If he only gets through algebra 1 but understands it, he should place into intermediate algebra which results in only one developmental math class being needed. If he makes it through algebra 2, he should place into college algebra -- but again, only if he understands it.

It is far too common for students who have 4 years of college-prep math to place into arithmetic or pre-algebra, because they didn't really understand what was happening in the courses they took. 

:iagree:

TracyP--I was looking at old posts about giving a special needs kid a high school diploma and I think it was your posts from a couple years ago that I came across.  I was researching how to create a transcipt for a special needs high school student who might not get to Geometry, Algebra 2, etc.  It looks like in my state there are no requirements so I can do what I feel he needs to try and ready him for community college or a trade certificate.

I'm know I'll be coming back to these posts to reread once we have started. 

'Twasn't me. :) I wonder if you ran across posts by TracyR. I haven't seen her post in quite a while, but you could try to PM her.

Oh yes, I agree too.  Yes, this is my 8th grader with learning differences.   Sorry I was vague in my original question.  I'm not planning on going any faster than we can go.  That is why I took him out of public school to begin with.  They were going to pass him on to 8th grade math when he didn't pass 7th and he barely passed 6th.  It just didn't make sense to expect him to be able to keep up with that.  But then I got a little worried that algebra might not be a class he could take until senior year.  Now I'm seeing that he does not have to have the higher level maths to graduate so maybe it's not even an issue.  We will just have to do what we can do.  At least he's not failing in school anymore, and he's actually learning. 

I am going to have ds finish a grade level in less than a year. Here are some of the things I'm doing:

I cross off reviews he doesn't need and do 2 lessons in a day.

I cross off all the review after a quiz and do the quiz and just the new part.

If ds does very well on the final review, I will sometimes let him skip the test. 

I don't use the first light unit in a grade level.