Menu

Cakes ... share recipes here please

aggieamy

I'm back again to beg for cake recipes.

A dear friend of mine is having a baby shower this weekend I get to make the cakes.  I can cook but I don't do much baking so I'm drawing a bit of a loss as to what cake to make.  There's going to be 30 people there so I'm thinking about making a bundt cake and a frosted layer cake.

Jazzed up box cake mix recipes are totally acceptable.

Hit me with your best cake recipes.  

It's neither a bundt cake or a frosted layer cake, but I love this cardamom cake with whipped coconut cream.  

4 large eggs
1 1/3 c sugar
1 1/3 sticks butter (150 grams)
1 T cardamom seeds
1 1/3 c flour
pinch salt

Heat the oven to 350/175 and liberally butter and sugar the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan. Beat the eggs and sugar together for 5 minutes till everything is thick and tripled in volume.  Melt the butter and bruise the cardamom.  Add the flour and salt to the eggs and sugar, then fold in the butter and cardamom.  Mix well and tip into the pan and give it a bang on the counter to settle the batter.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or longer till the cake is dry on top and a knife comes out dry from the middle.  Let it sit 5 minutes then run a knife around the edge and flip onto a cooling rack so the sugared part is on top.

It's neither a bundt cake or a frosted layer cake, but I love this cardamom cake with whipped coconut cream.  

4 large eggs
1 1/3 c sugar
1 1/3 sticks butter (150 grams)
1 T cardamom seeds
1 1/3 c flour
pinch salt

Heat the oven to 350/175 and liberally butter and sugar the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan. Beat the eggs and sugar together for 5 minutes till everything is thick and tripled in volume.  Melt the butter and bruise the cardamom.  Add the flour and salt to the eggs and sugar, then fold in the butter and cardamom.  Mix well and tip into the pan and give it a bang on the counter to settle the batter.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or longer till the cake is dry on top and a knife comes out dry from the middle.  Let it sit 5 minutes then run a knife around the edge and flip onto a cooling rack so the sugared part is on top.

What/how do I do the whipped coconut cream?

What/how do I do the whipped coconut cream?

You can use the thick part from the can of coconut milk and whip it with a hand mixer, but sometimes I keep it simpler and use the entire can, add a little sugar to taste, then whip it up a bit and use it more like a sauce.  Either way it's delicious.

I posted this recipe for Hummingbird Bars. It makes a cakey-type bar that would serve a lot of people

I've been making these for decades. They are so good! I hope you enjoy them.

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 15x10 bar pan.

3 c. all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. salt

Stir the above dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Toss in 1 cup chopped nuts.

In a large bowl, Beat together:

2 c. sugar

1 c. oil

2 tsp. vanilla

3 eggs

Then stir in:

2 c. (2 med.) diced bananas

1 c. maraschino cherries, halved

8 oz. can crushed pineapple, undrained

Add the flour and nut mixture and stir to combine.

Pour into prepared pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Meanwhile, prepare glaze.

GLAZE:

6 TBS butter, very soft

2 1/4 powdered sugar

3-5 TBS milk

In a small bowl, beat all glaze ingredients, adding just enough milk for desired glaze consistency.

Let bars cool about 30 minutes. Spread glaze over still warm bars; cool completely. Cut into bars and store in refrigerator. Yield: 48 bars.

These are awesome!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited to add some answers to questions:

The pan size is 15 x 10. It does have the "short" sides of about 1 inch high. It isn't like a cupcake pan, with separate wells or holes. It is more like a cookie sheet with higher sides.

The further confuse the issue, I think the pan can also be called a jelly roll pan.

As for the maraschino cherry issue...I think they'd be fine without the cherries or with a substitute (like fresh or frozen cherries or dried cherries. Maybe reconstitute the cherries with some warm water?) Most "hummingbird" cake recipes I've seen dont have cherries anyway, only banana and pineapple.

Oh, and as to the pan size. This fills the pan very full and the glaze takes it to the tippy top. If you do add fruit, don't go bananas (PUN!) and add too much otherwise you'll have spillage.

I like to make pioneer woman's flour frosting and use it on any cake....preferably chocolate. :) 

I love Better than TeA cake. :)   It's yellow cake with pineapple, whipped cream, and pecans.  It's easy and delicious. 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/better-than-sex-cake-iv/

I haven't made a bundt cake in for-ev-er...but I'd probably buy one of the mixes at the store....like the red velvet one with the cream cheese middle.

I also love Texas Sheet Cake. :)  http://www.bhg.com/recipe/brownies/chocolate-buttermilk-brownies/

We just became friends on PTE :) my user name is different...

but if you go there you can save this recipe -

Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake

The recipe is listed below.  It's fancy - very very special - I made it for Christmas dinner and it really was the BEST dessert I have ever made!

It is THAT.GOOD :)

Requires some fancier chocolates and a springform pan but oh so worth it!

INGREDIENTS
  • Bottom Layer
  • 6tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces, plus extra for greasing pan
  • 7ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine (see note)
  • 3/4teaspoon instant espresso powder
  • 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4large eggs, separated
  • pinch table salt
  • 1/3cup packed (about 2 1/2 ounces) light brown sugar, crumbled with fingers to remove lumps
  • Middle Layer
  • 2tablespoons cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed
  • 5tablespoons hot water
  • 7ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine (see note)
  • 1 1/2cups cold heavy cream
  • 1tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1/8teaspoon table salt
  • Top Layer
  • 3/4teaspoon powdered gelatin
  • 1tablespoon water
  • 6ounces white chocolate chips (see note)
  • 1 1/2cups cold heavy cream
  • Shaved chocolate or cocoa powder for serving, optional (see note)
INSTRUCTIONS

1. FOR THE BOTTOM LAYER: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter bottom and sides of 91/2-inch springform pan. Melt butter, chocolate, and espresso powder in large heatproof bowl set over saucepan filled with 1 inch of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and cool mixture slightly, about 5 minutes. Whisk in vanilla and egg yolks; set aside.

2. In stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat egg whites and salt at medium speed until frothy, about 30 seconds. Add half of brown sugar and beat until combined, about 15 seconds. Add remaining brown sugar and beat at high speed until soft peaks form when whisk is lifted, about 1 minute longer, scraping down sides halfway through. Using whisk, fold one-third of beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture to lighten. Using rubber spatula, fold in remaining egg whites until no white streaks remain. Carefully transfer batter to prepared springform pan, gently smoothing top with offset spatula.

3. Bake until cake has risen, is firm around edges, and center has just set but is still soft (center of cake will spring back after pressing gently with finger), 13 to 18 minutes. Transfer cake to wire rack to cool completely, about 1 hour. (Cake will collapse as it cools.) Do not remove cake from pan.

4. FOR THE MIDDLE LAYER: Combine cocoa powder and hot water in small bowl; set aside. Melt chocolate in large heatproof bowl set over saucepan filled with 1 inch of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly, 2 to 5 minutes.

5. In clean bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip cream, granulated sugar, and salt at medium speed until mixture begins to thicken, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form when whisk is lifted, 15 to 60 seconds.

6. Whisk cocoa powder mixture into melted chocolate until smooth. Using whisk, fold one-third of whipped cream into chocolate mixture to lighten. Using rubber spatula, fold in remaining whipped cream until no white streaks remain. Spoon mousse into springform pan over cooled cake and gently tap pan on counter 3 times to remove any large air bubbles; gently smooth top with offset spatula. Wipe inside edge of pan with damp cloth to remove any drips. Refrigerate cake at least 15 minutes while preparing top layer.

7. FOR THE TOP LAYER: In small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand at least 5 minutes. Place white chocolate in medium bowl. Bring ½ cup cream to simmer in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; add gelatin mixture and stir until fully dissolved. Pour cream mixture over white chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, 5 to 8 minutes (mixture will thicken slightly).

8. In clean bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whip remaining cup cream at medium speed until it begins to thicken, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to high and whip until soft peaks form when whisk is lifted, 15 to 60 seconds. Using whisk, fold one-third of whipped cream into white chocolate mixture to lighten. Using rubber spatula, fold remaining whipped cream into white chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Spoon white chocolate mousse into pan over middle layer. Smooth top with offset spatula. Return cake to refrigerator and chill until set, at least 2½ hours.

9. TO SERVE: If using, garnish top of cake with chocolate curls or dust with cocoa. Run thin knife between cake and side of springform pan; remove side of pan. Run cleaned knife along outside of cake to smooth sides. Cut into slices and serve.

I don't bake cakes anymore because of allergies I have developed.  but I still remember the taste of a few, and one of my favorites was my wedding cake.  it was called a "sherry wine" cake, and it used a mix but added butter and vanilla and sherry and it was moist and good.  butter cream frosting.  yum!

i googled it that there are a number of recipes out there for this kind of cake.