Menu

Does anyone use Vonage phone services and if so are you happy with the service?

I used Vonage for several years. The service was good and the only time I had a problem with static was when the computer was uploading something. The big problem I had was that if the power went out we had no phone. Not a big deal for most people with cellphones these days but I didn't have one at the time. When a power surge killed my router (which shut down the Vonage too) I called to cancel and it was the most horrible experience I've ever had with customer service. It took 45 minutes of people talking over me, refusing to do what I asked and intentionally hanging up on me to finally get it cancelled. Before I called to cancel I was going to return at some furture point when we had a cell phone - Now I never will.

But it was a good service when I had it.

We have had Vonage for at least 3 years. When we first got Vonage there was a quality difference but that was quickly fixed and now you can't tell the difference. We had regular phone service and Vonage for about 6 months. The quality was the same between both phones. I love how cheap it is! We live on the border between states so 1/2 of the calls we place are long distance. All of our family is long distance too. We no longer have to worry about it. I also like all of the features being free like call waiting and voicemail.

I can't imagine going back to regular phone service.

My dh uses Vonage for his work line and likes it. There is occasionally a delay or a bit of a digital sound but overall it's been nice. I think the quality of the phone line depends a lot on the quality of your internet service. If your internet is very fast your phone should be ok too. If you have slower internet then you may have problems.

The other nice thing is that if you use Vonage, you can use your phone service through the computer when you are out of the country. We have made calls home from Taiwan and China on trips and saved so much money. Any time someone called dh's work number it would ring on his computer.

Also, I think our land-line phone company offers emergency service for free. So you can have an analog phone plugged in and still call 911 without paying for the line. Not sure if every phone company offers this or not.....

We've had Vonage for a few years and have had no real problems with it. As a previous poster said, if you lose power you lose phone service, but I have an emergency cell phone so that's not a big problem for us. Also, I get a fair bit of static if I'm on the pone right by the computer when the computer's on, but the rest of the time my reception is quite good.

All of our family is out-of-state, so it saves us a lot of money on our phone bill. Definitely worth it, in my mind!

We've had vonage for a few years and I love it. Given the length of time my mum likes to chat each time I call and knowing it doesn't matter because it's free. Just can't beat that for calls to the UK! :D

One thing you'll want to check is the strength (?) of the cable running to your house. It should be a certain size to carry the vonage without interference.

I'm on vacation, visiting my sister and her family. We were talking about Vonage telephone service and wondering if people experience good quality telephone service using this provider.

Thanks for your responses.

We've had it about a year and love it. I really like that I can program our program to spill over to my cell phone so that when we're not home we'll automatically receive any call going to the house.