Menu

Planning high school studies in California for a serious dancer - update in post #1

I'm helping Cakes over on the General Education Board with a science plan.  Her dd is a dancer and has limited time for other subjects, but would like to do interest-led science classes.  However, being in CA there appear to be requirements for high school science classes, which we can't quite figure out.  I can't help her design interest-led science until I know what structure I need to work under.  Would some of you come over to this thread and explain the CA situation to us.

Thanks

Ruth in NZ

ETA: The situation is very much high-school planning specific and larger than just science. We agreed the thread should be on the high-school board, so since I had already started a thread, I've copied Cake's posts here so people don't have to refer there and post here.

So here are Cake's posts:

I posted on another thread that I dislike playing school at home, I would like to loosen things up a bit and follow my 12 yr old DD's interests more. 

We started homeschooling in early Oct but never really took the time to deschool, only a few weeks. She hasn't really had the chance to explore her interests at all because, at the time, I thought it was important to hit the ground running and not miss a beat. 

In hindsight I believe that was a mistake. I would like her to ponder the things in life that interest her more, take a little more of a child led approach. So we had a little chat about that this morning and I asked her to consider how she would like to change up science and history.

She got very excited and said "Really? We can change what we are doing?" I told her that was the beauty of homeschooling and that we are not into high school (where we need to hit certain topics) yet and we can certainly switch up what she feels is not working or engaging. 

She said that she does not like our text on Astronomy but she likes the show Cosmos, says that she learns a lot more from watching that because of the engaging way it is presented.  She expressed and interest in the show How It's Made and said she wants to learn how to invent stuff.  :leaving:

That is pretty broad and, not being a science person, I am not sure where to take that.

Can someone advise me? I am thinking that perhaps a few brief in depth unit studies on various science topics might help her to find what excites her. I could really use some guidance! I do not know how to invent stuff!

+++++

My concern is twofold. First she is an extremely bright and advanced (in public school) child. She is bored by the text books that we have been doing and I would like to shift to a more child/interest led style.  Secondly, her passion is ballet and that is part of the reason for homeschooling her, to allow her to follow that passion. Her end goal is to dance, but as parents we need to know that she is prepared for college should something change (loss of interest, injury etc). I do not see an Ivy college experience in her future. I need her to be prepared for which ever future comes her way...college or ballet school/ company with college later in life.

I gathered a ton of good ideas from your posts and copied many that I will go back and reference. I am struggling with the big picture goals in general. I want her to lead, I want her to be prepared for college and I want her to be prepared to graduate a year early in the event that she get accepted to a dance program (non-academic) I am just not sure that the student led education works with the early graduation plan.

Daily we get math and reading/logic done. The science and history is laid on in a weekly plan and she does bits here and there, begrudgingly. The science experiments have been largely duds, I think only one of the 5 or so have actually worked or we have been able to complete for various reasons. I need to incorporate more writing. 

+++++++

yes she is in 7th and yes the goal is to graduate her a year early. 

Off the top of my head...while she has an interest in inventing things, she has never taken any initiative on this. Meaning she is not one to go out to the garage and tinker around, or build things. When she was young she never played with dolls, but she was always surrounded by a pile of books, she loves games and never showed an interest in lego type toys...she has since lost that love of reading. She does like crafty stuff but this interest in inventing is news to me LOL! 

Anatomy/physiology and nutrition are on my radar for sure. I do not know when, I was thinking this year but then she expressed interest in mechanics so that sort of has distracted me. I have a background in nutrition and sports nutrition so this would be easy for me to put together.

To be really honest she has always had a heavy extra curricular schedule, dance has taken up all of her free time in the last two years, before that was cheer 3 days a week plus dance. When juggling homework and activities she used all of her free time either with friends or chatting with friends online, or online games/social media. This year, even though we are homeschooling, her dance hours have increased and I don't think she just had not made the time to think about what she is interested in! I believe this is just part of the deschooling process, she is just still in recovery mode. Yesterday I suggested she give her iPad a rest and pick up a book (she got two new ones for Christmas) and she reminded me that she is on "break" and should not have to read. I like to see productivity (grew up being told 'find something productive to do')...the iPad makes me crazy!

You have given me a lot to think about and discuss with her. I will sit down with her and have a good conversation and get back to you with some answers.

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help us to formulate a plan!

+++++++

Thought of a little more info that may be helpful...

DD gets up at 9 starts in on school work between 9:30-10, has a 30 minute lunch break and then ends at 2:15 to get ready for dance. She is usually out the door by 3:15-3:30 and returns home at 9ish three days a week and 6 is the other two days.  Dinner, shower and some tv time (usually with her iPad) and relax together, bed is usually 10:30 ish. She frequently has rehearsals on Saturdays and or tries to get together with friends.

So our school day is short. 9:30- 2:15. After dance she is tired and doesn't want to do anything mental, although she has become interested in some science shows (Cosmos and How it's Made with an occasional (rare) Myth Busters mixed in)  and will watch those in the evenings if we suggest it. She doesn't have a ton of down time for exploring her interests.

++++++++

She can't do

8 weeks during school year

3-5 weeks in summer

2 weeks Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter

So  15 weeks down.  and  37 weeks available if you go year round.

+++++

So the bottom line is DD plans to go directly into a ballet school (dance only, no academics) and then into a company to dance professionally. [/size]

Mom knows this may or may not happen.If it does not happen she needs to be prepared to go to a state or university school that offers as BFA degree. I am not sure how rigorous the academic side of acceptance is, I assume they will want well educated kids, who are also exceptional dancers. I am currently researching admittance requirements on some now.

++++++

Here is the original thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/537598-need-help-pulling-together-some-science-stuff/

bump for Dance moms. :001_smile:  Post 32 and 35 summarize situation.

If you have free time to wander and explore, you can get a great high school science education just following your interests.  But, with that short of a school day, it seems to me I would aim for covering the core topics in as streamlined and efficient way as possible. 

I would do the standard three credits of biology, chemistry, and physics, because former dancers may wind up in a body-related career such as physical therapy, nursing, or medical school.  Another option would be physical science, biology, and anatomy/physiology (my DD's have memorized tons of muscle groups via dance anyway).

I agree.  But I was going to help her develop streamlined courses whose focus would lean towards her personal interests.  So as a dancer, for Biology she could focus on anatomy and physiology, and dabble in other topics like cell bio and ecology for example.  In in Physics she could focus on mechanics and dabble in other topics like optics and EM. She could use trade books instead of textbooks, and write papers and give presentations instead of taking tests if that is what she wanted.  To me, interest led does not have to mean study whatever you want, rather it can be a course developed to cover a HS requirement, but be tailored to individual interests. Not hard to do and I am sure many of us do it, but Cakes is not a scientist and desired some help.

For example, my ds will test in physics and chemistry, and do an interest-led class in biology which will cover the brain and consciousness, biochemistry, and evolution.  Not exactly typical, but a fair credit.

But clearly she and her dd need to make some difficult decisions before I help her design anything unusual.

Ruth in NZ

First of all, how are you homeschooling?  Are you an independent homeschooler who filed an R-4?  If that is the case you can do anything you want to.  There are no state graduation requirements you must follow.

If you are with a public charter school then they will have their own grad requirements.  Many CA high schoolers go this route, partly for the money for materials, partly for the support of a facilitator, or credentialed teacher who reviews work each month and keeps tabs on your student's progress.

There are some private homeschool umbrella schools which some theater and dance students use for homeschooling.  They can be rather restrictive in the materials you use, though.  (Some public charters can also be fairly restrictive, too -- it depends on who winds up being your facilitator.)

Yes the UC system and Cal State system want those A-G courses, and no, you as an independent homeschooler won't meet those course requirements no matter how rigorous a course you design!  Some charter schools are accredited and CAN provide those courses.

We got around the A-G in two different ways.  One ds graduated from a public charter and the other took the CHSPE and was practically a full time community college student.  Both graduated early.  Neither wound up going to college in California, though. Which leads me to the next paragraph... 

Here's something missing in all the conversations about California college entrance requirements -- there are so many other schools out there that welcome homeschoolers and their independent, unique educational paths.  And those other colleges aren't necessarily more expensive. When you factor in California's ever rising tuition, room and board costs, then consider the generous merit scholarships often offered by out-of-state public and private schools -- well the cost winds up being the same.  So don't feel you MUST ONLY prepare your dd for admission into a UC or Cal State school.

I don't know whether to talk science here or on the other board!  We did zero formal science til high school.  No text books, no pre-packaged experiments.  Instead it was interest led with lots of NOVA episodes and other good science programs, and popular science books.  In high school my theater ds did science projects related to theatrical special effects, but also took a basic (non AP) biology course.  Your dd who is interested in dance could start with bio, then perhaps do anatomy and move onto courses on kinesiology.  She could do astronomy or natural history or what ever catches her fancy, even in high school.  

Community college courses work just fine with a young dancer's schedule as dance classes and rehearsals are generally at night, right?  And just because your dd takes community college courses doesn't mean she has to be a full time college student.  She can take a foreign language and a math or a science and do the rest at home.  It is doable, even with a kid who lives and breathes theater, dance or music.

Look at the entrance requirements for University of Utah, which has an excellent ballet program. Lots of theater kids (I know, different from dance kids) wind up at Cal State Fullerton while working at Disney.  

And finally -- are you in San Diego?  I ask only because you listed course descriptions from SDUSD which I assumed means SD unified. I'm in San Diego so feel free to pm me.

From other thread:

Homeschoolers cannot get their courses approved, in the sense I think you are asking.

The courses, have to be an approved UC a-g textbook (think mainstream secular big name publishers), and they ALSO have to be TAUGHT by an approved instructor (I have no idea how instructors get approved but it's something any mom or dad can't just do...)

Usually, if you want to have A-G courses on your transcript you need to take the courses at a local school or the (very rare) occasional class or tutor situation who has gone through the trouble of becoming a-g approved.  Even if you are with a Charter, (for example, OCean Grove) it's a bunch of hoops to jump through as they have to assign you a specific approved teacher to oversee your course, (not sure how they do that)...

It is highly unusual for a homeschool student to get straight into the UC system by the transcript route.  Usually, they go through the testing route, which means taking SAT2 subject tests in every main area that they should have had A-G approved courses AND high SAT scores.  The higher the better.  In which case the college "overlooks" their inferior :cursing: homeschool standing and instead just looks at the tests.  

Most kids here attend a junior college for two years and transfer OR apply to the local private colleges (who knows how they pay for the 40,000.00 per year tuition?).  The community colleges are EXCELLENT in CA and for most degrees all credits transfer to almost all UC campuses or CalState campuses.  So, if your child isn't up to all the stress of testing, she will not miss out by attending the community college.  At all.

If you go to the San Jose State website, they lay all this out REALLY clearly, much better than the websites of the UC's do.  It's pretty much all spelled out there and a little more homeschool friendly than the UC's.

+++++

I have so many acquaintances whose kids dreamed of going straight to a 4 year institution for whatever reason, and the mom and kid went through so many hoops to make it happen.  When they tell the tale, it is almost absolutely overwhelming to me in the amount of testing, studying, stress and paperwork they went through. You are talking two entire years of intense studying for SAT2 tests and SAT tutoring and gobs and gobs of paperwork, "special essays" that they ask you for to explain your homeschooling, etc. etc.... Honestly.

I have a bunch of other friends whose kids went straight to CC, transferred, and went onto Berkeley with no problem whatsoever in math, Science, and engineering degrees even (the most competitive transfer degrees)...and they just go, "well he knew he had to get as close to a 4.0 GPA as possible to get into Berkeley but other than that it was no big deal. He just signed up for CC classes starting at age 16 and that was that." and the CalStates accept more transfer students at lower GPA's so really, even if your kid only makes a 3.0 he is likely to get into a great school and get a job in her chosen profession and live a long and happy life.  

idk....makes sense to me! 

++++++

Yes, she can do interest led Science, and then go to CC after taking the CHSPE.  The CHSPE is pretty easy she will have no problem. In fact, it looks like I could have passed in after attending 8th grade in Catholic school back in the day.  

However, to be clear: It is my understanding that she has to be VERY clear about what she needs for transfer and the grades she needs to transfer to specific UC's or CalStates.  She should  look at her chosen 4 year school's website very carefully and meet with a CC counselor as much as possible to make sure she is and stays on the right track for transfer.  

But, there is absolutely no doubt that it is a lot less stressful than the testing route!  

So in the meantime she can kind of do her thing, as long has CC is her only goal. My son is doing a middle ground.  He is enrolled in a local PSP through a private school that is going to help us oversee, provide transcripts, etc.  He can then look really good for a *private* 4 year school, straight out of high school.  They also provide AP testing, and other types of bonuses.  This way he will have two options: CC and private 4 year university.  I very highly doubt he will want to go the testing route, but we can see what he wants at that time. I do not plan to encourage that at all because I personally think 16 year old kids don't need that level of stress.  

Later on down the line, we will do the same thing with my dd, this way at least she has two options.

+++++

As long as you understand your options and she and you are OK with the CC route, then she can enjoy herself.  And don't forget, there are two CC options too. She can dual enroll and then the CC courses are free (on the longshot that she gets into the class since they are all overbooked and dual enrolled students have the lowest seniority) OR she can take the CHSPE, you can pay as a college student and she has medium seniority.   :o)  Just a thought.

From other thread: 

The UC schools have more demanding requirements than the Cal State schools, which in turn have higher demands (so far as I know) than community colleges.  A school like UC Berkeley is amongst the top schools in USA and very, very competitive to get into. 

However, if this child is quite smart, I'd be inclined to aim toward the UC requirements (probably via the testing option) and have a Cal State or community college option as a fall back. 

UCLA has some excellent programs in the fine arts areas--though maybe more known for theater; UC Irvine which is probably less competitive academically has strong dance program.  Possibly UC Santa Cruz would fit.  UC Santa Barbara also has a dance program, but I have some reservations about the school atmosphere there.

We don't really know how academically able this child is, but if she is capable of being at a UC she would probably be much happier there than at a Cal State or community college.

Another reason to aim for this might be that even if she makes it into a professional company in a few years, she could still end up with an injury or for other reasons need to make a career change, and if she can have taken and passed various helpful tests as a high school student, it might make that easier.

My guess would be that for her it would be hard to do CC as still a high school student like some home schoolers do because of the demands of her dance schedule. 

Thus, if she could be directed toward a program that she would enjoy and learn from for science and that would prepare her for the required tests for UC admission, that would probably be a good plan. ...assuming that she is capable of UC level work.

For science, I wonder if doing the earth science or other elective now would make sense, so as to leave biology and physical science requirements to when there would be presumably a stronger math background?  Or to learn what she likes and is interested in while also studying for AP or Board exams?

+++++

I do not think a homeschooler can get home designed  personal courses approved, but there may be online, distance or other options that would be approved--and still feasible while dancing.  Possibly Neo (I think I have name off) computerized science labs for AP science, for example.

Here is another link with regard to non traditional students, from UC Riverside (which also has dance) : http://admissions.uc...itionalStudents

+++++

http://en.wikipedia....Katherine_Healy

I knew Katherine slightly. She was both an outstanding dancer and also an outstanding student (St. Ann's in NYC followed by Princeton University). It is not impossible to combine the two. 

I do not know what OP's dd can do (probably neither does she until it happens), but one possibility for AP study would be to spend the rest of this year getting basic exposure and elective down, and then to do two years for each of two subjects at an AP level. Or at an SAT subject level which is not as hard.  Also, if she does not make it into a professional company then presumably she will have her regular senior year of high school available also.

After reading thru the other Gen Ed thread and now this one, it would appear that our best option is to homeschool HS and plan on early graduation. IF she gets accepted into a pro school/company great, if not she can use that gap year at the local CC while still taking dance classes.

We are an independent homeschool.

As I have begun to explore colleges that offer a strong ballet program I realize it is typically a double acceptance, first to the academic program and second to the ballet program. This means that understanding the Cal State/UC admittance policies are not all that I need to consider. I need to spend some time researching the top schools and design DD's hs years to meet the requirements of the most stringent. She would be looking at a Bachelors of Fine Arts degree. 

I looked up one top school randomly and this is what was listed as requirements for admission:

Dance
  • Superior talent and potential for a dance performance career
  • Good technique training in ballet and modern dance
  • Musicality
  • Energy, creativity and the ability to communicate through movement
Academic
  • Solid B+/ A- average in a college preparatory program
  • Competitive GPA and SAT scores
  • Strong writing skills
  • Involvement in community or extracurricular activities

Academically they are looking for a college prep in high school...does that equate to AP? 

I will say that the test, test, test, route is not at all appealing!

I have sent an email to the Ballet Mistress at her studio to get some guidance. She knows that we are homeschooling and that I am trying to start planning out the high school years. Hopefully she can give me a list of potential schools to begin researching. 

In the short term....we are thinking that the Big History Project might be a good way to finish out this year. Do you all think that we could do that with 45 mis per day and finish in 1 semester or is it a longer program than that? I thought I had read somewhere it could be 1-2 semesters.

I am eternally grateful to everyone who chimed in with their experiences! The fog is starting to clear a little bit.

Here is another BFA program's admissions policy:

Recommended Academic Preparation for Freshmen

Graduation from an accredited high school with a total of 15 units in college preparatory subjects, to include the following:

• 4 years of English
  • 2 years of one international language 
  • 2 years of college preparatory mathematics-algebra, geometry, trigonometry, etc. (3 to 4 years preferred) 
  • 1 year of lab science to be taken in grades 10-12 (2 years preferred) 
  • 1 year of U.S. history or one-half year of U.S. history and one-half year U.S. government (2 years preferred) (one year of world history or Western civilization is an acceptable alternative for international students)

The University encourages students to choose additional courses in at least two of the following areas:

• art
  • computer science
  • English
  • history
  • international language
  • music
  • social science
  • typing/keyboarding

Home School Policy 

Home schooled students bring unique qualities to our campus, and we welcome their interest in Dominican University of California. The Office of Admissions provides these guidelines to help home schooled applicants become eligible for admission consideration.

• If any courses have been taken online through a home school umbrella program or an accredited college or university; or at a local high school, college or university, official transcripts must be provided.
  • For the years of high school and/or subject areas for which there is no official transcript, responsibility for documenting the course of study rests with the student. A detailed outline of the home school curriculum, including subject areas studied, level of instruction, time spent on each discipline, texts read, work produced and assessment of performance or grade. In addition, please provide a short narrative, written by the person other than yourself who has been most responsible for your overall academic program, providing a summary of your instruction in recent years. 
  • Home school students are required to submit official test scores from either the SAT or ACT. Test scores are waived if the student graduated high school more than two years ago. 
  • Home school students are not required to present an equivalency diploma to be considered for admission, however, Dominican requires all admitted students to present proof of graduation prior to enrollment. Admitted home school students must submit a home school diploma, a certificate of completion that is considered the equivalent of a high school diploma in the applicant’s home state, or results from a GED test as proof of graduation. 
  • We strongly encourage home school students to visit campus and complete an interview with a member of our admissions staff. 

I have a lot of research to do before I start planning 9th grade. I will spend the next several days identifying the best potential schools for DD and then share what I learn.

Academically they are looking for a college prep in high school...does that equate to AP? 

I will say that the test, test, test, route is not at all appealing!

AP is not the be-all, end-all of college prep. And with APs, it isn't the course that matters but the test score. What colleges want to see is some sort of evidence, outside affirmation, of a homeschooler's educational level.  Test scores provide that, but good grades in community college courses also provide that.  Not every course on a transcript needs that outside affirmation, just a representational few.

College prep, to me, meant reading and discussing great literature, writing essays and research papers, going in depth into topics.  College prep meant a few courses I couldn't provide, such as lab sciences (we did one at home) so those were outsourced to either community college or an umbrella charter.  It also meant courses designed around interests and future plans with related internships and volunteer work.  

The Well Trained Mind -- the book, not the forum -- is an excellent resource for homeschooling high school.  There are some talks on the topic given by the author that are available for download.  Just click on that box that says "forum sponsored by Peace Hill Press".  

In the short term....we are thinking that the Big History Project might be a good way to finish out this year. Do you all think that we could do that with 45 mis per day and finish in 1 semester or is it a longer program than that? I thought I had read somewhere it could be 1-2 semesters.

You can do whatever you want with a 7th grader, and an hour or so per day of working on a project for a semester seems more than meaty enough for that age and grade.  It can be 2 semesters if she's loving it or it can be a project per month if she burns out on it.  If you find this style of learning is a good fit for your dd, you can continue with it through high school.  

I'm a big believer in homeschooling that is outside the box and uniquely fits the child. It is how we homeschooled for 12 years, and both of my kids got into college and did well in college, both the theater kid and the science major kid. Neither kid took a single AP, by the way.  Follow your gut, don't be afraid to make mistakes and change course. You are doing the right thing in researching future options, but don't feel obligated to follow a rigid high school course of study.

[*]Admitted home school students must submit a home school diploma, a certificate of completion that is considered the equivalent of a high school diploma in the applicant’s home state, or results from a GED test as proof of graduation.color

Consider taking the CHSPE. That would be California's equivalent of high school diploma. CHSPE is also useful for applying to take CC classes.

https://www.chspe.net

I agree.  But I was going to help her develop streamlined courses whose focus would lean towards her personal interests.  So as a dancer, for Biology she could focus on anatomy and physiology, and dabble in other topics like cell bio and ecology for example.  In in Physics she could focus on mechanics and dabble in other topics like optics and EM. She could use trade books instead of textbooks, and write papers and give presentations instead of taking tests if that is what she wanted.  To me, interest led does not have to mean study whatever you want, rather it can be a course developed to cover a HS requirement, but be tailored to individual interests. Not hard to do and I am sure many of us do it, but Cakes is not a scientist and desired some help.

For example, my ds will test in physics and chemistry, and do an interest-led class in biology which will cover the brain and consciousness, biochemistry, and evolution.  Not exactly typical, but a fair credit.

But clearly she and her dd need to make some difficult decisions before I help her design anything unusual.

Ruth in NZ

While you can do this, to do a solid A&P course, you need a solid Biology background. There is much more to anatomy than how bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons move the body - which tends to be the most interesting stuff to a dancer (or a gymnast - see my sig and know I get this). It is tempting to start with her interest, but starting in the beginning and building a solid foundation that she can grow with in case she ends up with a career outside of dance is worth consideration too. I would say the same for all the sciences. 

What that looked like for us was choosing a Biology that included A&P (not all do anymore). We used Miller Levine and it has a very substantial A&P section. You can do the same with Physics emphasizing mechanics. You can do that using a textbook as a basis, dropping a few chapters to make time for those you want to emphasize. Or you can do that with a more researched approach as you suggest, this is just more time consuming in general which seems like it would be difficult on a dancer's schedule. 

In hindsight I believe that was a mistake. I would like her to ponder the things in life that interest her more, take a little more of a child led approach. So we had a little chat about that this morning and I asked her to consider how she would like to change up science and history.

She got very excited and said "Really? We can change what we are doing?" I told her that was the beauty of homeschooling and that we are not into high school (where we need to hit certain topics) yet and we can certainly switch up what she feels is not working or engaging. 

She said that she does not like our text on Astronomy but she likes the show Cosmos, says that she learns a lot more from watching that because of the engaging way it is presented.  She expressed and interest in the show How It's Made and said she wants to learn how to invent stuff.  :leaving:

+++++

My concern is twofold. First she is an extremely bright and advanced (in public school) child. She is bored by the text books that we have been doing and I would like to shift to a more child/interest led style.  Secondly, her passion is ballet and that is part of the reason for homeschooling her, to allow her to follow that passion. Her end goal is to dance, but as parents we need to know that she is prepared for college should something change (loss of interest, injury etc). I do not see an Ivy college experience in her future....

I am not in CA, but much of my family is, and many have attended a variety of UC and other schools. I have taken classes at UC schools and a couple of others in CA, myself also, as well as having had a UC as my "safety" school, coming from a non-graded, non-traditional high school. As well, I am somewhat keeping CA requirements in mind for my ds.

I'd also like to mention that when it comes to AP type tests as an option for showing high school college prep level work, UC is not looking for a 4 or 5 that would be a level to possibly give college credit for a class, but only a 3 which would show a strong high school level of proficiency. AP's tend to be good for people who are strong writers. If not and if doing exams, then the SAT subject tests which are multiple choice tend to be better. IME, most better quality colleges with bachelor degree education tracks require at least some SAT subject tests, so unless your/her goals are just community college anyway, she will probably need to be ready to take some type of exams like that.  I assume my ds will need to take subject area tests, whether AP or SAT type, in math, 1 or 2 sciences, 1 history, 1 foreign language (unless he does ASL), and possibly one more of his choice to meet our own state's requirements, and when I looked at some other places, it looked like  that would work for pretty much anywhere he is likely to apply. 

I bolded things that jumped out to me as of key importance above.

1) How would SHE like to change up science?  

I think for us to make assumptions like that she would like anatomy and physiology because they relate to ballet does not really make sense if the idea is for her own interests to take precedence. Maybe she is interested in anatomy, maybe not.

2) I'd suggest that in place of TV she watch all sorts of videos like Cosmos and use that time to further her education, both in history and science.

2b) I'd also suggest that she have audio literature and history and maybe science books to be able to help her fit in extra progress academically while doing other things, chores, stretching, lunch, or resting after ballet, etc.

3) Find out more about her interests in inventing. And possibly that could be the main focus for the rest of the year.  ???

4) What does "extremely bright and advanced" mean? Does this mean she can catch on to material extremely quickly or is already doing 8th grade level work across the board or doing calculus, or algebra, or ...   ???? exactly what ????  If she were not a dancer, what do you think she might be, in terms of talents and interests?

5) You write that her goal is dance, but that as parents you need to know she is prepared for college. Is SHE on board with the idea of preparing for college and if so, what are HER goals in that regard?

5b) If she is motivated toward college as a possible plan, then I suggest that weekends be utilized for some "academics" time as well as weekdays.

6) Would taking CC classes while still in high school be feasible or not?

There are just so many decisions to be made, aren't there!  And there are so many variables to balance.

I'm a scientist and a science teacher, and I do come to this discussion with a firm belief that students will learn best when they are learning *what* they want *how* they want.  Now this is not always the only consideration, sometimes you have to suck it up and learn certain stuff in a certain way to meet a goal, but what I am currently hearing is that Cake's dd's goal is dancing, not science and going to university is only a back-up plan.  So the question that Cakes and her dd need to decide is how much work does she want to invest in the backup plan.

Now I am in NZ, and the university system here is different, but I have been reading these boards for a long time and I do know 2 things.  1) unschoolers do get into American universities, 2) not all homeschool high school classes need to be documented with exams. 

So from where I am sitting, Cakes has a dd who is interested in a more student-led approach to science.  Could she not do interest-led science in a structured way using Carnegie credits, using textbooks or not, and NOT take any science exams?  Could she not take SAT2 tests in English or History to document that her homeschooling was real?  I am hearing that  a dancer's backup plans are often nursing or physio therapy, so a strong foundation in basic biology is important.  And I get this, but there is a difference between a strong foundation in biology and studying material for the purpose of testing.  The second option is not very fun. 

So just as an example for Biology.  She could go in deep in a few topics, rather than at a surface level in many topics (like is done in many textbooks). Biology in particular does not have an agreed upon foundational material (like physics).  So I often recommend that you pick one topic from each spacial scale to study in depth:

Micro level: Microbiology, biochemistry, cell biology,

Organ level: Human body, genetics, Health and disease, A&P

Organism level: Animal diversity, botany, evolution

Systems level: Ecology, Conservation Biology, Environmental science

So you can mix it up how you want by picking one from each level.  Obviously, some background material is required for different topics, but you can just backup for a week and read and then continue forward.  This approach gives a student a firm foundation in biology, but does not prepare them for standardized tests.  Biozone has awsome high school worktexts that focus in these topics: http://www.biozone.co.nz/category/your-topic/(see box to left with topic options)

So I am NOT suggesting that she do some light weight science under the guise of 'interest led', but rather I am suggesting that I can help her design a strong course that fits her interests.  Motivation is typically higher when you are studying something interesting to you.

From my point of view, following a curriculum that will allow you to do well on a standardized test is NOT the only way to gain a strong foundation in the sciences. However, I am also a realist, so if she has to test in the sciences, then she has to study certain material.

Hope that makes sense!

Ruth in NZ

So the question that Cakes and her dd need to decide is how much work does she want to invest in the backup plan.

I agree!

... Could she not do interest-led science in a structured way using Carnegie credits, using textbooks or not, and NOT take any science exams?  Could she not take SAT2 tests in English or History to document that her homeschooling was real? 

Yes. If the colleges she may apply to accept that. Some will. She has to look at likely colleges and see what they require and try to get the requirements done. Or alternatively they can do as they like and then pick places to apply to (if that ends up needed at all) based on what has been done.

Micro level: Microbiology, biochemistry, cell biology,

Organ level: Human body, genetics, Health and disease, A&P

Organism level: Animal diversity, botany, evolution

Systems level: Ecology, Conservation Biology, Environmental science

So you can mix it up how you want by picking one from each level.  Obviously, some background material is required for different topics, but you can just backup for a week and read and then continue forward.  This approach gives a student a firm foundation in biology, but does not prepare them for standardized tests.  Biozone has awsome high school worktexts that focus in these topics: http://www.biozone.co.nz/category/your-topic/(see box to left with topic options)

That sounds appealing.     --and if the dd is a good writer, it may prepare her for an AP test just fine as a bi-product.

However, I am also a realist, so if she has to test in the sciences, then she has to study certain material.

I think it's really hard to answer "will she need to test?"  -- It varies so much by how competitive the colleges you are applying to are.  In general, however, IF Cakes' DD is applying to a college that wants tests, she can probably just do ONE science SAT2.  She does not have to do all of the possible tests.  IF keeping the door open to schools that require SAT2 tests is a requirement, then ONE of biology, chemistry, or physics needs to be a test-prep syllabus.

Now, if she is going to apply to a UC university and meet a-g requirements via standardized test scores, that's actually a lot of testing.  If out-of-state or private colleges are an option, then there colleges with requirements that run a full spectrum of options.

The other thing to consider is: if she's not in a dance academy, what might she be studying?  Because generally speaking, the same material on the test syllabus is the same material that makes a good background before you get to a college level class.  If she's going to have to take college level chemistry, having a complete high school level chemistry class might be very handy.

Now, trying to predict which colleges and which majors a 7th grader might be interested in someday is incredibly difficult.  And, i know that I have tortured my kids asking them to do work to not close doors that maybe it was OK to let close after all.  It all comes down to choices that only Cakes and her DD can make.

I have spent some time researching school admissions requirements and I am waiting on feedback from the Ballet Mistress. What I have concluded at this point is that:

1) I really need to flush out what type of life DD would be interested if she were not dancing (although this goes against my belief that if you want to achieve something you have to fully commit to it. Plan B needs to be in the back of my mind, not in hers)

2) "So I am NOT suggesting that she do some light weight science under the guise of 'interest led', but rather I am suggesting that I can help her design a strong course that fits her interests.  Motivation is typically higher when you are studying something interesting to you." - Ruth NZ YES! I want to maximize what she is learning not phone it in.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. I will update as soon as I get more guidance on a realistic path for DD< which will influence high school plans.