Menu

Anyone else watching Bringing Up Bates

MomtoCandJ

I watched the first episode yesterday (it was available On Demand before it aired, weird!)  and it was sad that Erin has had THREE miscarriages in the past year.   I know the producers got her ok to include that in the program but it bugged me that they had her sister bring it up while they were at a store shopping for the shower.   I'm sure helping with that shower was difficult enough without having the camera crew along while her sister told her how strong she is being. In a grocery store. 

I was surprised that Alyssa revealed her pregnancy to some friends before her own family, too.  

These guys seem more genuine than that other famous large family, even though they share many of the same beliefs.  

What did you think of the episode? 

I liked the first episode.  It was nice to see a family that prays together, works together, enjoys spending time together...and apparently are able to do so without using coarse/foul language. 

I really like and admire Erin.  Here's a cute video of her at the piano:   http://www.uptv.com/videos/erin-bates-backed-up-to-the-piano-what-happened-next-is-amazing

The Bates are long time friends of the Duggars with a similar set of beliefs, number and age range of children to them and less BTDT celebrity status and money. The Duggars helped them add on to their house a few years back.

Oh no I forgot to DVR!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE this family so inspirational! (For matters in general, I'm not about to go stock up on an extra dozen kids) I loved uninted Bates of America too.

I'll have to TEVO it, you said it was on demand? Was that Time Warner Cable on demand? I have that.

ETA: Now tevo-ed. Cool beans :)

Although I like the way this family presents themselves better than the Duggars, I know that behind it all is an effort to make fundamentalism styled by Gothard more palatable and normalized and therefore, I just can't watch this.  Gil Bates is on the board of Gothard's IBLP and per the over 35 women who have come forward with the abuse of Gothard (who is still running the show over at IBLP), I just can't give a pass to this show knowing this.  

I feel sorry for Erin.  Three miscarriages in a year is alot.  I feel so badly that all thatt is valued is being pregnant in this movement.  It is highly likely she is not going to use birth control and give herself a much needed break from conceiving.  Birth control is not an option in this group.  

So, I saw the title and thought it had to do with Downton Abbey. :) 

I didn't know the Bates Family had another TV show.  I think that from what I saw of them (limited, granted) they do seem to allow their children more options, including college.   I hope this is true.  Also, I seem to remember the Bates parents being college educated as well--which may play a part.  

Thankfully, their kids' names start with letters other than "J".  

I am so happy that the world didn't have to hear about my pregnancies and miscarriages, and that I am valued for more than being a baby-making machine. That choosing to be a SAHM was truly my choice.