Menu

Solving for unknown in subtraction problems...

Monday is around the corner, and I need to find a new way of coming at solving for the unknown variable in subtraction problems.

DS can not remember if he should subtract, or add together the known variables to solve for x.  

For instance...

514 - N = 432

X - 82 = 432

Saxon expects a student to draw upon fact family patterns, which DS did well with (smaller numbers) to solve for the unknown.  But DS just stares into space on these and the fact family stuff isn't cutting it.  

Is there another technique for teaching this?  (I did try equation style solving with DS before break, but don't think that was helpful).

Thanks!

Two parts make a whole. So part + part = whole. In subtraction, you always begin with the whole and remove a part to get the other part. If you know the whole and one of the parts like in your first example, you simply remove the part you know from the whole to get the missing part, regardless of where it falls in the equation.

In your second example, the whole is missing, so you put the part you know together with the other part you know to get the whole that is missing at the beginning of the equation.

I agree with Barb that talking about "parts" and "wholes" or "totals" is helpful.

One thing I do a lot is to use a graphic like a number bond, and moving back and forth between number bonds and equations.  Kids learn to look at a problem and see it as one with a missing part (in which case you subtract) or one with a missing total (in which case you add).

I find this is helpful in solving word problems too.  I'll have kids act out a word problem (e.g. Bill went to the bakery with $12.92 cents.  He paid for a cookie.  Now he has $11.54.  How much did the cookie cost?)  I'll have them act it out with "invisible money" and then ask "At what point in the story did someone have all the money?  Bill had all the money in the beginning, before he spent any.  So, that's the total.  Do we know how much he had?  Yes, we do, so this must be a subtraction problem.  

Two parts make a whole. So part + part = whole. In subtraction, you always begin with the whole and remove a part to get the other part. If you know the whole and one of the parts like in your first example, you simply remove the part you know from the whole to get the missing part, regardless of where it falls in the equation.

In your second example, the whole is missing, so you put the part you know together with the other part you know to get the whole that is missing at the beginning of the equation.

This!

With a 3rd grader I'd make sure that he actually understands the logic behind the operations. If he does, he should be able to talk his way through the problem without actually "remembering" anything.

I used manipulatives (linking cubes, I think they're called) for the bigger numbers, not for the three digit nimbers, but the two digit ones that they start out with. So for 57-N=23, I'd give my son 57 cubes (5 sticks of 10 and a stick of 7) and I'd say: how many do you have to take away from 57 to get 23? And he'd do it in some laborious way and finally get an answer. Then I would have him do it again and eventually he would see that that the answer was 57-23. This took maybe an hour one day.

For us, the key was to mark up the problem.  Circle or highlight the total (not the =, but the total number of things you are considering, the biggest number).  The other two numbers are the parts. 

Next, build or draw the problem.  

Look at what you know, and see if you can re-arrange the problem in a way that makes more sense, then solve for the unknown.

This is exactly what I was looking for!!!  Thank you.  I think  part of the problem is the language used in Saxon.  A lot of "some, some went away" not to be confused with "sums."  Only it IS confusing.   ;)  Just out of curiosity, is there a curriculum from which you pulled this?  In my spare time, I'm looking into math curriculums that might be a better fit for DS at this stage.  

My multiquote isn't working, so I'll try to do this...

Daria said: I agree with Barb that talking about "parts" and "wholes" or "totals" is helpful.  One thing I do a lot is to use a graphic like a number bond, and moving back and forth between number bonds and equations.  Kids learn to look at a problem and see it as one with a missing part (in which case you subtract) or one with a missing total (in which case you add).

​I find this is helpful in solving word problems too.  I'll have kids act out a word problem (e.g. Bill went to the bakery with $12.92 cents.  He paid for a cookie.  Now he has $11.54.  How much did the cookie cost?)  I'll have them act it out with "invisible money" and then ask "At what point in the story did someone have all the money?  Bill had all the money in the beginning, before he spent any.  So, that's the total.  Do we know how much he had?  Yes, we do, so this must be a subtraction problem.

Not surprisingly, we are struggling with the word problems, too.  That's why I want to go back and cover the basic operation... something isn't clicking.  I think you're right that it will help him in word problems.  The number bond is insteresting... Saxon uses a tower diagram, which I find confusing when paired up with all the "some" language.  (some, some went away, some left over -- or difference).  

EKS said: I used manipulatives (linking cubes, I think they're called) for the bigger numbers, not for the three digit nimbers, but the two digit ones that they start out with. So for 57-N=23, I'd give my son 57 cubes (5 sticks of 10 and a stick of 7) and I'd say: how many do you have to take away from 57 to get 23? And he'd do it in some laborious way and finally get an answer. Then I would have him do it again and eventually he would see that that the answer was 57-23. This took maybe an hour one day.

I had this thought, but sold all my rods last summer.  I could kick myself.  I thought about using money, but that would add another layer of conceptual thinking that would be confusing.  If my new approach doesn't do it, I will be in the market for more rods.  

Plink said: For us, the key was to mark up the problem.  Circle or highlight the total (not the =, but the total number of things you are considering, the biggest number).  The other two numbers are the parts. 

Next, build or draw the problem.  

Look at what you know, and see if you can re-arrange the problem in a way that makes more sense, then solve for the unknown.

I think you have another piece to my puzzle.  Color coding things is helpful to DS.  If I can mark up the problem, color coding whole, part 1, and part 2, I can see that working well for him.

Thanks so much!

Rightstart uses number bonds too, but calls them "Part-Whole Circles."  I really, really, REALLY love Righstart.  In case you actually go looking for different curriculum.  ;)

If you want to use rods but don't have any, try getting a huge pack of popsicle sticks at the dollar store.  You can use elastic bands to make them into bundles of 10, if you want, so that you are working with numbers of "ones" in the ones column and numbers of "bundles" in the tens column...that kind of thing.  Hundreds would be harder.  ;)  Rightstart uses Base 10 picture cards that are very helpful for place value and addition/subtraction.  You could probably make something like them yourself on cardstock...

Not surprisingly, we are struggling with the word problems, too.  That's why I want to go back and cover the basic operation... something isn't clicking.  I think you're right that it will help him in word problems.  The number bond is insteresting... Saxon uses a tower diagram, which I find confusing when paired up with all the "some" language.  (some, some went away, some left over -- or difference).  

I had this thought, but sold all my rods last summer.  I could kick myself.  I thought about using money, but that would add another layer of conceptual thinking that would be confusing.  If my new approach doesn't do it, I will be in the market for more rods.  

I just wanted to come back and say thank you for the excellent advice.  I think identifying the whole in subtraction and addition problems was the key.  We worked using the bond diagram in colors for whole or parts.  From there, we circled whole/parts in their corresponding colors and plugged them in to the diagram.  

DS said this was SO much easier.  

Here's a pic of the three problems he did on his own today... Sorry so messy, but he did it!  YAY!

IMG_0666_zps652bc611.jpg