Menu

Home Gym Equipment Questions

swimmermom3

With our two older kids moved out of the house, dh and I now have some room to to create a dedicated exercise area.  The last few years have been stressful and hard on my weight and health and I want to get back to doing the things I enjoy.

We have free weights, a Swiss ball, a Bosu, and yoga mats. When space was dire, our weight bench went away. I used the piano bench for years until the piano went away.  I can do a lot on the Swiss ball, but I know ds and dh want more.

Our first priority is to get something for aerobic exercise when the weather is bad. I live in the Pacific NW. ;)  Dh and I have both hit the 50 mark and I have bad knees. Bikes don't really appeal to me, but I could be persuaded. Rowing machines are intriguing, but I am not sure how that would work with weight training. When I have a routine, weight training is always part of it. I like it and it makes me feel good.

I know there are a lot of newer options out there for equipment. Suggestions, please.

Also, I am not sure I want to take space for both aerobic equipment and a weight bench. Do stair steppers work okay for a basic bench or should I really plan on space for both?

Budget? Not really sure. I don't want to pay for premium equipment, but I have owned a crappy bench and I will never do that again.

If you are really into it and want to give me a list that we can implement in phases, I would be great with that. Thanks.

I used an elliptical for two years before it was determined that it was causing problems with my knee.  Force on the knee and hip joint are higher on an elliptical that when you walk.  Here is one simple explanation, but a search will turn up numerous reliable sources.  

I now have a treadmill, which I love.  It is a space saver model that folds up when not in use, and it has an adjustable track so I can adjust the impact, which makes it easy on my joints.  I can't run on pavement but I can run on my treadmill without problems.  

If you are considering and elliptical it might be prudent to talk to your doctor or therapist if you have preexisting knee problems.  An elliptical might not be the best choice despite the low impact.

I'm against both ellipticals and treadmills. I've heard too many bad stories, especially regarding knees. What you really need is a pool, but most people can't afford one. Especially one that can be used year round. I would do aerobics style DVDs on a gym mat ($$$), or ask someone at a fitness store.

DS and I use the seated ellipticals at the gym.

He can't use a regular elliptical due to neuromuscular issues, but needs that movement.

I didn't think I would like or find it to be a good workout, but I do.

For lower body, you get similar motion/workout to seated stationary bike. But the upper body gets a great workout at the same time!

We have free weights, a Swiss ball, a Bosu, and yoga mats. 

You actually don't need more than what you have. I'd love a Bosu ball!

For indoor cardio for bad knees I'd get a rebounder. You can't go wrong there. Plus, it's fun! 

Jump rope and you can use it while on the rebounder or you can do what I do and use an air jump rope. 

Maybe some bands? There are all sorts to check out. 

Swiss ball is a physioball? If yes then you don't need a bench. Use the ball as you would a bench. 

How about some weighted medicine balls? 

Kettlebell? 

I ended up with a heavy bag on a stand for cardio. I also have crappy knees and can't walk in the winter due to respiratory problems. The heavy bag is great stress relief and you can get a nice workout. I consider a sitting device, but I already sit so much, I wanted to be up and moving. I bought these gloves. I don't use it everyday, but it's one piece of workout equipment I don't regret purchasing.