Menu

Beginning yoga??

MomtoCandJ

tbh, I'd take a class or two at a local studio before I went the video route. This way someone is there to watch your form. A lot of studios will have mats you can use there (either free or for a small fee) plus blocks and straps. Otherwise, both Target and Walmart sell inexpensive yoga mats. For the longest time I used two cheaper mats (one on top of the other) until I bought my pricey one. A strap or bag is nice if you're traveling to keep everything all rolled up.

Once you get the hang of things then videos, etc is a nie flexible way to continue your practice. For kids...there are some great kids books. My dd had a set of the Yoga Pretzels cards that she loved.

• Like 1

Look for Yoga Zone DVDs at your local library.  Many have two 20min sessions.  Besides Yoga Zone, Linda Arkin is one of my favorites.  But, it's kinda old.

As for equipment, I have a mat, a block, and a strap.  I am naturally inflexible, so the block and strap sometimes come in handy.  If you can touch your toes without bending your knees, you probably don't need a block.  A strap is not used often, so you may want to wait on it.

• Like 1

Oh, check out the website www.doyogawithme.com

It's free though if you feel you benefit, you can make a payment or subscribe. There are great beginning routines and also a whole section just on poses.

If you're doing a new routine, and because yoga is new to you it's good to watch it through first so that you know what's coming and can try to focus on the pose.

For me, yoga is not about competition or straining, but about sinking in and really feeling a pose.

Fwiw, I tend to stick with hatha.

Hth! Namaste :)

• Like 1

I made the mistake of buying a thick yoga mat (1 1/2"?) the first time around. I love my new 1/2" mat that I picked up at Target for $40. It took me a long time to be willing to spend that much.

Mat thickness is going to be so individual. I have to have the thicker mat or it's too hard on my knees. You can't go wrong with a thinner, cheaper mat at first while you figure out if Yoga is a good fit. If you find that it's not thick enough for your own comfort level, then you can always stack another one on top of it. I used two thinner, cheap mats that way for awhile. I love my Manduka Pro, but it's not the first mat I bought.

YogaGlo is another online yoga video option. They offer a free trial and there are lots of classes to choose from. I think it's $18/mo if you choose to continue.

• Like 2

What books/DVDs and equipment would you recommend for a beginner? Im wanting to learn yoga as a gentle exercise that I can possibly do with the girls

I do yoga from dvd's.  I have a variety - and do have my favorite teachers.  I have more control over time as well as the practice.

- and with too many classes, the quality of the instructor is questionable unless you're willing to pay more at a yoga studio.  (If a teacher can't answer a simple question about how to best modify a pose to accommodate a knee injury - they don't know enough to be teaching yoga. and I've encountered that this year with a 'certified' instructor.)

some very good dvd teachers are Ashley turner and Barbara benagh.

my favorite beginner - made for out of shape middle age women - is Suzanne deason's yoga conditioning for weight loss. (she has someone doing the fully modified poses instead of explaining them and having to imagine what she's saying.)  good leg muscles, twisting postures are good for detox, good for balance.  I have improvement in breathing and posture.

start with a more gentle yoga, inflexible people type. don't push yourself - just allow your body to progress at it's own pace -and it will surprise you.

power yoga is focused on building muscle.

how old are your girls?  there are yoga dvds that are less serious and aimed a children having fun as they practice.

for equipment you will need a mat, foam block (you'll only use one at a time.  you can substitute a book.), a strap, a blanket (throw size, you can just use a throw.)  I no longer use blocks (except to accommodate my knee injury)  or currently a strap (some complex poses also use a strap.)

for clothing - elastic waist shorts and a t-shirt work.

yoga.com is a good site - as it will show you exactly what a pose is supposed to look like, and they have a graphic you can click on that shows you exactly which muscles are used in a pose.

yoga journal is another  good site.

drink lots of water!!!  your body will start flushing toxins - and needs water to excrete them.

I agree about not getting a thick mat.  you need to stand on it - a thicker mat will make you work harder to be balanced if you stand on it.   I only use it if I'm on my knees a lot on a hard surface.  otherwise, I'm using a 1/4" mat.   and I will use both mats in the same practice - just not at the same time.

. I love my Manduka Pro, but it's not the first mat I bought.

what is a manduka pro?

right now - I want a "proper" yoga blanket.  I'm using a big ole piece of polar fleece . . .  Barbara benagh sometimes uses more than one blanket at a time for some poses.

Sorry to rabbit trail, but is the manuka smelly out of the package? Any lingering chemical smell?

I'm looking for a new mat but can't stand the chemical smells that so many leach....

Ummm...well, I bought it in 2011 so it's entirely possible that my memory's a bit fuzzy...lol. I don't remember there being a noticeable smell at first - at least if there was one it would have had to have either been faint or quick to dissipate. I tend to smell things most people don't and would have been either been annoyed or felt a little ill if it had been particularly smelly.

What smell it has now is not particularly noticeable or bothersome. I love my Manduka. It was a huge splurge for me and I've never regretted the purchase. It is heavier than most mats, but I don't mind. :0)

what is a manduka pro?

right now - I want a "proper" yoga blanket. I'm using a big ole piece of polar fleece . . . Barbara benagh sometimes uses more than one blanket at a time for some poses.

It's a heavy duty yoga mat. Mine's the black one at the link hornblower gave. If I need a blanket for a pose, I just use a twin size blanket that used to be on one of the kids' beds. I've looked at yoga blankets like the ones I've seen in videos/magazines, but then aa local studio was basically using something similar to what we had at home so I've just been using that.

I love my Manduka Pro; I need the thickness or else a thinner mat gets pulled and stretched because I really stretch out in the Warrior poses. It did have a smell right out if the shipping box, but the smell dissipated after letting it air out for a week or so.

Here is a site that sells good yoga mats at really good prices; the smart ladies at Video Fitness recommend the extra thick premium mat for $39.00:

http://www.yogaaccessories.com/studio-yoga-mats.html

• Like 2

It's a heavy duty yoga mat. Mine's the black one at the link hornblower gave. If I need a blanket for a pose, I just use a twin size blanket that used to be on one of the kids' beds. I've looked at yoga blankets like the ones I've seen in videos/magazines, but then aa local studio was basically using something similar to what we had at home so I've just been using that.

what makes it so great as a mat?  (as that is one very pricey mat.)

I was looking at yoga blankets - someone in a review said they like using army blankets (thin but tight weave.)  I have some wool blankets in a closet - I'll pull some out and try them.  it does vary with how well they'll fold up,  or roll up.

what makes it so great as a mat?

I was looking at yoga blankets - someone in a review said they like using army blankets (thin but tight weave.)  I have some wool blankets in a closet - I'll pull some out and try them.  it does vary with how well they'll fold up,  or roll up.

It's very thick for one.I like that it has a grippy bottom too.  Mine comes with a lifetime guarantee. 

I was using an 8 year old hugger mugger, and that thing had seen better days.

• Like 1

The only time i use blankets is in restorative yoga & then I want heavy, heavy ones. I use them to wrap & put on me, though sometimes one under the knees is nice too. Being under a heavy blanket for a restorative pose is really nice.  You want them thin but heavy, that's why the cotton ones work well.

Reminds me it's been a while since I've gone to a restorative class. I used to love the one I went to... it's more like a series of organized naps LOL...   jk!

what makes it so great as a mat? (as that is one very pricey mat.)

Depends on your practice. If you ammoritoze that out over the life of the mat, it's really not that pricey. Like I said, it's not the first mat I bought. It is the last one I'll likely need to buy.

I like it because it's nice and sturdy, easy on my knees, plenty thick, and has a nice non-slip surface. Aside from the guarantee, it's held up much better than the Hugger Mugger and Target brand ones I had used previously. On cheaper mats, you can feel the mat stretch in certain poses and they compress more. I like that the Manduka doesn't. I feel more solid in balancing poses on it than I did on others.

YMMV and all that. It's definely something where you have to know what you want from a mat before buying.

OP - another beginner resource you might want to look at is Yoga Journal's beginner page - http://www.yogajournal.com/category/beginners/

• Like 3

The only time i use blankets is in restorative yoga & then I want heavy, heavy ones. I use them to wrap & put on me, though sometimes one under the knees is nice too. Being under a heavy blanket for a restorative pose is really nice.  You want them thin but heavy, that's why the cotton ones work well.

Reminds me it's been a while since I've gone to a restorative class. I used to love the one I went to... it's more like a series of organized naps LOL...   jk!

I use one rolled up tight and running the length of my spine when I do relaxation/corpse pose. (which I turn more into reclining cobbler's pose.  my hips thank me as it really opens them up.)  it's really good for the shoulders.  (and is similar to a position a physical therapist had me do when I had really bad tendonitis in my shoulder.) no blanket under the head, I have my head hang down - and that's good for the neck. (my chiro approves).  I almost fell asleep in that position last week . . .

there's also a targeted hip practice that will use it rolled-up/folded under the hips for some poses.

• 3 years later...