Menu

Worst part of colonoscopy

Laurie

For me, it was definitely the anti-nausea pills that I was supposed to take as part of the prep.   I had a generic form of Reglan and had not taken these pills before.   I was supposed to take 3 doses on the day before the procedure and 1 pill on that day.   After the 3rd pill at 8pm I started to feel very dizzy, which isn't a good thing when you're making a lot of trips to the bathroom!  My heart was pounding all night so I didn't get any sleep.   At about 6 am I called the after-hours number to talk to the on-call doctor about my symptoms.  He told me that my symptoms could definitely be caused by Reglan, and to skip the final pill and not drink the second part of the prep until the office opens and I could speak to my doctor's nurse since they might want to cancel the procedure. 

Fortunately my appointment wasn't cancelled,  and I still had time to drink the final packet of prep stuff.   By the time I arrived for my appointment my dizziness and heart pounding had already stopped but I was nervous about getting sedation that might leave me feeling dizzy again.  When I originally made the appointment I had requested an unsedated colonoscopy and because of that I had to go in for a consultation with the doctor before they would agree to it.  The doctor told me that it would be crazy, especially since "petite women" have colons with many twists and turns so I agreed to some sedation.  The week before my scheduled colonoscopy her office called and said that she wouldn't be able to do it but another doctor at the clinic could.  I had been hoping to have a female physician and I had already seen her for the consultation...however, it had been hard to schedule this appointment around my husband's work and my son's school schedule so I didn't want to change the appointment.   

I'm so glad that I kept the appointment!  The doctor who did the procedure promised me that he would start with a small amount of sedation and would increase it only if I needed more.   It must have been just enough because I was awake and aware of what was happening.  It was somewhat uncomfortable, but not what I'd describe as painful.  When I was brought back to the recovery area I could hear one nurse telling the recovery area nurse that I was wide awake.   They told me that everyone has to stay in recovery for at least half an hour but I wasn't a bit groggy or unsteady.  And after the previous night I was really thankful to not feel any dizziness! 

The doctor told me that I should avoid Reglan and other drugs in this class.  He said there's another anti-nausea drug that doesn't have these side effects.  Later today I'm going to call the pharmacy and make sure that they put something in my file about this problem.  I wonder if the other drug is more expensive and that's why Reglan is the first choice?  

Anyway, I'm just glad that it's over.  And I guess the first doctor was correct about petite women...the notes that I took home with me about my procedure included "long, tortuous colon".    And there were several pictures of my innards as well.  :ack2:

LOL, yeah, my favorite procedure ever.

I wasn't given any anti-nausea pills.

I asked for them to only partly sedate me, and it was supposed to go as you described.  Well, I couldn't remember anything.  When I woke up they told me they had to stop the procedure toward the beginning, because I apparently groaned in pain or something.  So all that for nothing.  And then I had to fuss with the insurance (and I had already agreed to pay 20% because I went to a "tier 2" provider.)  Should have just taken the day off and read a book.  :/

Glad it's over!  The prep is definitely the worst - but adding in your reaction to the med they gave you... ugh.  You poor thing.  At least now you know, right?  

Isn't it strange to have been awake and aware?  Did you ask to do it that way?   I've done it both ways - out cold and aware of what's happening ... I think my preference is out cold.  :)  Wait, no, my *real* preference now is the newer procedure they do - hee hee - the one where you swallow the camera.  That's really weird, to think there's a tiny camera blinking it's way through your body in a capsule.  Totally "honey I shrunk the kids"!  My GI doc wouldn't do it till we'd had several regular colonoscopies down though.  Something to look forward to!

Hoping your results are exactly what you hope to hear.  

I wasn't given any anti-nausea pills.

I asked for them to only partly sedate me, and it was supposed to go as you described.  Well, I couldn't remember anything.  When I woke up they told me they had to stop the procedure toward the beginning, because I apparently groaned in pain or something.  So all that for nothing.  And then I had to fuss with the insurance (and I had already agreed to pay 20% because I went to a "tier 2" provider.)  Should have just taken the day off and read a book.  :/

I didn't ask for the pills.  This was just something they routinely prescribe along with the drink mix.   

I'm so sorry that happened to you! 

Isn't it strange to have been awake and aware?  Did you ask to do it that way?   I've done it both ways - out cold and aware of what's happening ... I think my preference is out cold.   :)  Wait, no, my *real* preference now is the newer procedure they do - hee hee - the one where you swallow the camera.  That's really weird, to think there's a tiny camera blinking it's way through your body in a capsule.  Totally "honey I shrunk the kids"!  My GI doc wouldn't do it till we'd had several regular colonoscopies down though.  Something to look forward to!

The camera would be the best!  Unfortunately, it wasn't an option for me since it was a routine colon cancer screening and they need to be able to remove polyps.