Menu

Dickens: which book is the easiest to understand and most enjoyable for...

We read David Copperfield aloud last spring--children ages 11-16. They all enjoyed it very much!!. My daughter took her SAT shortly after we finished the book and used it as example and support for her essay on which she received top scores. We all agreed that David could be used as an example for just about any dilemma!

I would go with Great Expectations. I think both guys and girls enjoy this story. I also read this in high school, and it is the one story that sticks the most in my mind when I think of my English classes. I can still recall Miss Haversham in her decreped (sp?) wedding dress with the dusty wedding cake sitting on the dusty table. I can even envision the spider webs and the rats scurring about!

HTH,

My personal opinion on the easiest to understand....David Copperfield. I loved A Tale of Two Cities, but it does tend to get verbose in some spots and if your child is likely to get lost between the beginning and end of a sentence, as mine would, then there's not going to be much enjoyment.

J