Menu

Toning double chin through exercise?

Excelsior! Academy

Not really, no.

If it's just loose skin, there's not much you can do non-surgically other than make sure to use moisturizer and hope it shrinks. 

If there's fat involved, overall fat reduction needs to happen. Some people are unlucky enough to have under their chin be the first place they gain weight. 

DH's side of the family gets a huge double chin as the very first place they gain weight.  They have to get almost too thin everywhere else to have no double chin.

I took a yoga class that had facial exercises once.  I did them for probably 6 months and saw no difference in my face whatsoever.  I remember the one for your chin was called "The Lion" but I don't recall what it was exactly.

• 1 month later...

There are lots and lots of videos on You Tube, but I'm skeptical. I know many who claim that exercises work and an equal number who say that they don't. I think it's part of weight gain and/or aging. Here are some exercises:

• Lie on bed/sofa with head hanging over the edge. Lift chin towards your chest. Hold the contraction for 10 counts and then slowly lower your head to the starting position. Repeat 10 times then relax.

• Open mouth as wide as you can and stick tongue out as far as you can, trying to touch chin with tongue. Hold for 10 counts and repeat 10 times.

• Place your open hand at the base of your throat, stretched across your collarbone.  Holding your hand down, extend your neck up, leading with your chin and stretch with your bottom jaw, only, towards the ceiling.  Do NOT swallow, but rather reach with your bottom lip towards the ceiling “looking†like a gulping fish. Make 10 “gulpsâ€, switch hands and repeat.

• Stand with back and neck straight. Raise chin toward ceiling and purse lips in an exaggerated kissing position and hold for a count of 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times.

• Stand with neck erect. Tighten the tendons in your jaw by pulling lips up over teeth and turning the corners of mouth downward, almost as if you were frowning. Hold for 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat the exercise 10 times.

• Tongue to Nose

Although I'm skeptical, I would give them a try for several months. 

Just to give you an idea...... I weigh 101 lbs and have a double chin. Even when I weighed 95 I still had a double chin. If you see a picture of only my head/face you'd think I was chubby. You'd have no idea that a thin stick body was attached. 

I know this sounds really pretentious/shallow/whatever, but I want to say that I wish I weighed what you weigh! I have zero discipline and am an atrocious emotional eater. I wish I could wave a wand and seldom feel hunger/emotional hunger. I know that we all have our challenges and problems, but I wanted to vent. 

There are lots and lots of videos on You Tube, but I'm skeptical. I know many who claim that exercises work and an equal number who say that they don't. I think it's part of weight gain and/or aging. Here are some exercises:

• Lie on bed/sofa with head hanging over the edge. Lift chin towards your chest. Hold the contraction for 10 counts and then slowly lower your head to the starting position. Repeat 10 times then relax.

• Open mouth as wide as you can and stick tongue out as far as you can, trying to touch chin with tongue. Hold for 10 counts and repeat 10 times.

• Place your open hand at the base of your throat, stretched across your collarbone. Holding your hand down, extend your neck up, leading with your chin and stretch with your bottom jaw, only, towards the ceiling. Do NOT swallow, but rather reach with your bottom lip towards the ceiling “looking†like a gulping fish. Make 10 “gulpsâ€, switch hands and repeat.

• Stand with back and neck straight. Raise chin toward ceiling and purse lips in an exaggerated kissing position and hold for a count of 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times.

• Stand with neck erect. Tighten the tendons in your jaw by pulling lips up over teeth and turning the corners of mouth downward, almost as if you were frowning. Hold for 10 seconds, then relax. Repeat the exercise 10 times.

• Tongue to Nose

Although I'm skeptical, I would give them a try for several months.

These exercises would make a wonderful Jimmy Fallon bit. They make sense, but when you think about what someone would look like doing them it is quite comical.

Not toning, but...

I became very vain about my double chin in photos, so I googled "how to take flattering pictures" or something of the like. 

One of the top tips is to push the back of your tongue to the roof of your mouth. If you do it correctly, you can feel your tongue muscle lift your double chin up. Apparently *all* of the Hollywood stars do it  :coolgleamA: .

Not toning, but...

I became very vain about my double chin in photos, so I googled "how to take flattering pictures" or something of the like. 

One of the top tips is to push the back of your tongue to the roof of your mouth. If you do it correctly, you can feel your tongue muscle lift your double chin up. Apparently *all* of the Hollywood stars do it  :coolgleamA: .

I'm trying it, but I don't think I'm too good at this. I've heard this before. Will keep trying. Thanks for the reminder.