Menu

Scary evening at the ballpark! (CC)

We were about halfway through my 11 yo son's game tonight when it started to sprinkle, then dust started whipping around. Everyone headed for the concession stand nearby, which has a deep, overhanging roof. As soon as most everyone from all the fields was under cover, the dirt from the fields started blowing horizontally!

People were running, yelling, throwing chairs and gear into the concession area, and retrieving wayward people who couldn't see for the onslaught of dirt and wind. I really thought we might be on the leading edge of a tornado! All the lights in the complex went out, so we were left to stand there, huddled against the building for a short time, listening to the rush of wind in the dark. I prayed with two of my kids (6 and 9 yo boys)at one point, and the 6 yo said, "I had already been praying, Mommy." They were so frightened.

A few of the small lights came on fairly quickly and the worst of the wind died down, so everyone grabbed what they could round up and headed out of the park. After we all calmed down, my husband said it had been a gust front, which is the leading edge of a thunderstorm.

Come to find out, there had been a very similar situation at the same complex last month and the barbeque grills were flying through the air! I'm glad we missed that one!

Feeling very blessed tonight~

Chelle

Yikes! I am not familiar with the weather where you live - is that normal?

We get Monsoon storms - which sound similar. It can be sunny and 107. Within minutes, you see the dust cloud coming and the next thing you know, it's in the 80's with dust and high wind everywhere! As soon as the dust storm blows through, the thunderstorms follow. Because we expect and know what it is, we enjoy it.

Flying bbq's sounds quite frightening, though. I don't think I could do tornadoes. Eek! You've taught your kids well if they were "already" praying...good job, mom!

Here in the Midwest we get the gust fronts too. They can be very strong and scary. We live out in the middle of fields and can actually see them coming. I make the kids run for the house. Sometimes accompanied by a drop in temp. Funny you mentioned the BBQ's. Last year our Webber blew down the deck stairs! I'm a transplant to the Midwest so the weather scares me....I try not to act too freaked out in front of the kids, tho!

Yikes! I am not familiar with the weather where you live - is that normal?

We get Monsoon storms - which sound similar. It can be sunny and 107. Within minutes, you see the dust cloud coming and the next thing you know, it's in the 80's with dust and high wind everywhere! As soon as the dust storm blows through, the thunderstorms follow. Because we expect and know what it is, we enjoy it.

Flying bbq's sounds quite frightening, though. I don't think I could do tornadoes. Eek! You've taught your kids well if they were "already" praying...good job, mom!

I guess the gust fronts are normal; I've just never been out in one that severe, nor had I heard that term. Dh Googled it when we got home and explained it to all of us. Science credit! We did have a 20 degree drop in temperature, too.

We are in tornado alley, so when the wind starts ripping I get a little on edge!

An earthquake in the spring and now this!

Chelle

Here in the Midwest we get the gust fronts too. They can be very strong and scary. We live out in the middle of fields and can actually see them coming. I make the kids run for the house. Sometimes accompanied by a drop in temp. Funny you mentioned the BBQ's. Last year our Webber blew down the deck stairs! I'm a transplant to the Midwest so the weather scares me....I try not to act too freaked out in front of the kids, tho!

Hi, MeanestMom! Welcome to the boards!

It can be difficult to remain calm for the kids, can't it? Especially with Webers flying down the stairs!

Chelle

Hi, MeanestMom! Welcome to the boards!

It can be difficult to remain calm for the kids, can't it? Especially with Webers flying down the stairs!

Chelle

If I had known what the weather would do to my nerves, I would have insisted on a house with bedrooms in the basement! Can't count how many times I've grabbed up the kids to have a "fun campout" for the night in the basement. Always when dh is gone and never a *real* threat!

If I had known what the weather would do to my nerves, I would have insisted on a house with bedrooms in the basement! Can't count how many times I've grabbed up the kids to have a "fun campout" for the night in the basement. Always when dh is gone and never a *real* threat!

I know what you mean! Our basement isn't finished and it's a total wreck, so we even have to clean up a spot to "camp" during tornado sirens! I always think think one of these days I'm just not going to heed the warning because we've never had anything hit, but then I think how much I could regret that choice.

Chelle

We had one herein N/W Illinois a couple years back that was so strong it toppled 100-yr-old trees over several blocks. They called it a microburst, though.

They are just incredible, aren't they? My 13 yo son was humbled last night--witnessing just a small example of God's power.

It would be interesting to go over to the fields today and see the damage and debris in the light of day.

Chelle

Wow! I know that heart thumping feeling! We get that kind of stuff in Texas, too. Kudos to you for staying calm for your kids and praying with them. All it takes is some weather like that to remind me of how I am NOT in control of my life, and that it is just God's grace that I am still walking around, KWIM?

We were about halfway through my 11 yo son's game tonight when it started to sprinkle, then dust started whipping around. Everyone headed for the concession stand nearby, which has a deep, overhanging roof. As soon as most everyone from all the fields was under cover, the dirt from the fields started blowing horizontally!

People were running, yelling, throwing chairs and gear into the concession area, and retrieving wayward people who couldn't see for the onslaught of dirt and wind. I really thought we might be on the leading edge of a tornado! All the lights in the complex went out, so we were left to stand there, huddled against the building for a short time, listening to the rush of wind in the dark. I prayed with two of my kids (6 and 9 yo boys)at one point, and the 6 yo said, "I had already been praying, Mommy." They were so frightened.

A few of the small lights came on fairly quickly and the worst of the wind died down, so everyone grabbed what they could round up and headed out of the park. After we all calmed down, my husband said it had been a gust front, which is the leading edge of a thunderstorm.

Come to find out, there had been a very similar situation at the same complex last month and the barbeque grills were flying through the air! I'm glad we missed that one!

Feeling very blessed tonight~

Chelle

Wow! I know that heart thumping feeling! We get that kind of stuff in Texas' date=' too. Kudos to you for staying calm for your kids and praying with them. All it takes is some weather like that to remind me of how I am NOT in control of my life, and that it is just God's grace that I am still walking around, KWIM?[/quote']

Yes, I do know exactly what you mean! It's a scary and awesome feeling at the same time!

Chelle

Well, we could have navigated by my mother's swearing. The bulb in the kitchen exploded into the dinner she had just cooked.

Oh, my gosh! After the shock and annoyance wore off, that might've been funny!

Ten years later..."Remember the time Mom didn't quiiiite get all the glass out of the spaghetti sauce?"

Just kidding!

Chelle